Not open for further replies.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
I love my K100 ^_^
I think though, that I should probably get a kick because apparently I don't have the sense to STOP vaping and I have vaped one of my 18350s down to 2.8v.
A kick should cutoff at 3.4v much like a Vamo or other VV device...correct?
I can't believe I did that, lol
Everything seemed OK, I was getting vapor and then it stopped. Cold.
I put the batt on my Vp1 and it was 2.8 O.O
Ruh-roh

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
Over-discharging Lithium-ion

Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.

Battery manufacturers ship batteries with a 40 percent charge. The low charge state reduces aging-related stress while allowing some self-discharge during storage. To minimize the current flow for the protection circuit before the battery is sold, advanced Li-ion packs feature a sleep mode that disables the protection circuit until activated by a brief charge or discharge. Once engaged, the battery remains operational and the on state can no longer be switched back to the standby mode.

Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion packs that have been under stress are more sensitive to mechanical abuse, such as vibration, dropping and exposure to heat.

With variations in multimeters, you "might" be able to put it on a charger and charge it back up

Will it not charge at all?

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Eeek! I believe the Kick cuts off at 3.2V with a load attached (carto, atty etc) Make sure to only use IMR batteries with the Kick/Kick 2.
Looks like it's a bottom fire mechanical mod, which means there isn't any electronics to control "cutoff"

Running an IMR battery (which doesn't have protection circuit) you can keep driving it until you kill it, if it isn't TOO low you might be able to wake it back up

How to Awaken Sleeping Li-ion - Battery University
Li-ion batteries contain a protection circuit that shields the battery against abuse. This important safeguard has the disadvantage of turning the battery off if over-discharged, and storing a discharged battery for any length of time can do this. The self-discharge during storage gradually lowers the voltage of a battery that is already discharged; the protection circuit will eventually cut off between 2.20 and 2.90V/cell.
Put it on the charger and see if it will charge it back up...just keep an eye on it in case it decides to start getting hot

Last edited:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Well that's what I get for opening a thread and going straight to bed.
I should have hung around a bit for replies :facepalm:
Due to my paranoiac nature regarding batteries, I figured it was toast and I deep - sixed it
:facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Thanks for all of your replies...I will know better next time.
In the meantime, I am going to buy a couple of kicks :)

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Oh the beauty of Li Ion is the incredible energy density (yay technology)

Problem is with new technology comes with "problems" One of the problems is the chemistry of the battery, and driving it too deep then trying to recharge causes it to heat, heat in Li Ion is a massive danger as it is very susceptible to thermal runaway as it gets hot it's internal resistance drops causing more current flow causing more heat...thus the kafoosh smokey smokey or 'splody 'splody at the end.

There IS a cutoff point where it is safe vs unsafe to recharge...you might have gotten close...but from the looks of it, it might not have gone past the "point of no return"

Lots of useful information here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Get one of these and 4 AW IMR 18350s, have one for overnight and 3 for the day

Cheap UltraFire 2*18650/4*CR123A Battery Protective Case (2-Pack)

Swap batteries whenever you feel like youre not getting a satisfying puff.

I actually use the case and two 18500s, they can hold out a full 24 hours but get weak after 6-8 for me. Charging your batts between 60-80% is actually great for them, so feel free to even swap if youre unsure and recharge.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
I have some ST fuses (I was using one with my mech)
I won't need the fuse with the kick - is that correct?
Just making sure, lol.

This is embarrassing...I was doing so good...I got my K100 on Friday and was using it with no issues with my 18350s...slept through this one...how annoying

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I have some ST fuses (I was using one with my mech)
I won't need the fuse with the kick - is that correct?
Just making sure, lol.

This is embarrassing...I was doing so good...I got my K100 on Friday and was using it with no issues with my 18350s...slept through this one...how annoying
No the kick is the fuse and a variable wattage device in one, not sure from the instruction but it "might" have low voltage shutoff built in
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-kick-clone-power-boost-regulator-5w-12w.html

Think of it as a drop in APV module for your mechanical mod...it turns your mechanical into say a ZMAX or VAMO without the readout and the ability to check resistances and voltage...set it and forget it device

interesting!!
The Crown 2.0 - $29.99
Crown User Manual | artisanvaping.com

Last edited:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
No the kick is the fuse and a variable wattage device in one, not sure from the instruction but it "might" have low voltage shutoff built in
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-kick-clone-power-boost-regulator-5w-12w.html

Think of it as a drop in APV module for your mechanical mod...it turns your mechanical into say a ZMAX or VAMO without the readout and the ability to check resistances and voltage...set it and forget it device

interesting!!
The Crown 2.0 - $29.99
Crown User Manual | artisanvaping.com
Thanks for the link! :)
I have been wanting to try some AW IMRs...I think I will add an 18350 to my RTD order this time around
ETA: There are enough different versions of the Kick it would be nice if someone did a performance comparison of all of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread