What happened to my setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rprata

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Providence, RI
The setup is an eGo-T "Upgrade" passthrough battery (1300mAh) with a Kanger T3 (I think; I'll get to that part in a minute.)

This morning before I left for work, I put brand new coil heads in both tanks, and filled them with juice. One tank got MBV 80/20 Cream Soda and the other tank got MBV 80/20 Orange Dream Bar. A little while after I left home, I noticed the draw was getting a lot tighter, and I was getting drops of juice shooting into my mouth from the mouthpiece. I switched tanks, and that seemed fine. For a while, then the same thing happened. Switched tanks again - bingo, fine for a little while. I ended up switching to one of my no-name carto tanks that I got with my original setup - they leak like hell so I don't like to use them for long. The Kanger tanks were purchased from a local B&M, labeled as Kanger T3 tanks, but came just in a cellophane wrap, no box or packaging. They LOOK like T3's .. except the second one I bought says "Tabac BCC" on the tank. I did a Google search, and apparently that's a different brand. So my question is two-fold: Did I get knock off tanks, being sold as Kangers? And secondly, why would the draw get horrible after a little while? I'm wondering if the 80/20 juice is clogging something up maybe? Like I said I started off the day with brand new coil heads (which, on the box are identified as "Tabac BCC" also. Been using these tanks for close to 2 weeks, today is the first time I wanted to throw the whole setup in the trash and buy a pack of Camel Menthols. I feel like I need more of an airy draw, so next week I'm ordering a couple of Protanks (and also because I have some juices that will destroy the plastic tanks, apparently.) I'm considering ordering 3 Protanks and selling these things, regardless of what they are, or giving them to new vapers, but I don't want someone new to have this type of frustration; it will defeat the purpose.

Edit: One thing I've noticed, when I'm at home and the eGo-T is plugged into a USB cable, I don't seem to have these issues. I'm wondering if it's the battery...

Last edited:

buddywally

Jun 6, 2013
eugene, OR
This is the ONLY way my "Kanger T3" has EVER "worked" for me. It sputters, and spews quite alot of eliquid into my mouth, no matter what I do.

Seems to me that the bore of the drip tip all the way down to the atomizer is quite large on the T3, and the throw (length) is short allowing any sputtered juice to go all the way up to the top of the DT and outt.

I got mine from FT as part of a larger order, and I'm not sure if it is authentic. I will say that I have 3 protanks and about 15 coils (all authentic) and I've noticed quite a variation in build tolerances of the products even from the same box (some positive connectors protrude farther from the bottom than others etc).

These manufacturing defects are what helped me to do the "overtightening trick" to my Vamo (since remedied by changing the o-ring).

No idea about the behavior when used in pass-thru, maybe the sputtering happens more frequently at lower output voltage? If you had a multimeter you could test the output of your ego's under both conditions and see if there is a significant voltage difference?

good luck!
I think the protank will fix this problem. I found that a 2.0-2.2 Ohm coils on an ego battery works really well. For some reason, I have issues with the 1.8 ohm ones (should work even better).

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
I don't own a protank or any clearomizers. My guess is that your wicks are drawing too much juice, which then floods the coil, thus getting liquid in the air chamber and then into your mouth. From what I've read, the juice pg/vg ratio can contribute to this problem. If the juice is too thin, it will wick faster. Too thick and it will wick slow.

As for the rest of your issues, I don't know what to say about it :( Good luck and I hope you resolve them!

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Edit: One thing I've noticed, when I'm at home and the eGo-T is plugged into a USB cable, I don't seem to have these issues. I'm wondering if it's the battery...
Sounds like the juice isn't being properly vaporized due to not enough power. Result is coil flooding followed by juice in the shaft and then in your mouth. My experience with fixed voltage eGo batteries used with T3 is the 1.8Ω coil give the best result. This especially holds true because of the variation in actual ohms vs stated ohms on Kanger coils. I've had 2.8Ω authentic T3 head/coil replacements ohm out as high as 4.1Ω on my Fieldpiece SC76 multi meter. This is a professional mm with all the bells and whistles, so I'm ensured of it's accuracy above and beyond the capability of my Vamo in measuring resistance which gives similar readings (+ / - .2Ω ).

rprata

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Providence, RI
Good to know .. these actually are 1.8ohm coils .. the first "T3" I got had the higher resistance coil and it didn't vape for chit. I ended up buying another T3 (the one that says Tabac BCC on it) and when he got the, a 5-pack of 1.8ohm coils. Hoping once I get the Protanks and the Vamo these issues will go away .. thanks everyone :vapor:

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Sometimes certain juices can gunk up coils and trash them. You could have ended up with some duds :( that happens from time to time. I always keep cartomizers around for backups. You may want to keep a few just in case. They're cheap and easy to fill. All of this stuff is getting cranked out by a handful of companies in China. Vaping is rapidly increasing in popularity. So more product has to make it out in a short amount of time. Sometimes quality goes down. On the plus side: you found this forum. Not only will you get questions answered, but if quality issues are a problem folks are pretty vocal about it ;)

rprata

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Providence, RI
I have a few cartomizers ... I just don't seem to have much luck with them. I always feel like I'm underfilling them (I've watched plenty of youtube vids) .. and I'm always afraid I'm going to burn them out by running them dry. I'm going over to see a buddy of mine that's in the B&M business and have him show me how he fills them, since he sold them to me, then I'll use them in rotation as well and keep a few in my case with me.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Rapid temperature changes and low liquid volume can cause the flooding/leaking issue. You may want to add some extra wicking across the top of the coil to help prevent this.

BTW, I have never had sputtering, leaking or flooding with genuine Kanger tanks, be they EVOD or M/T3's.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
How many tanks have you run through and how many times have you properly cleaned them?
Honestly, most of us have little or no problem with any of the Kanger products. Then again many of us learn how to get best performance from our equipment.
Definitely sounds more like poor power output than anything else. Coils will become caked quickly and heating is even more difficult.
If your Batteries are real EGO fixed Voltage, they are only 3.3v

Tabac BCC is made by Kanger and Re-Branded same as Ego T2 was.

A buddy uses Tabac's and the perform excellent with his Ego-T 18650 Upgrade

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
The T3's have always caused me problems with flooding and leaking. I know others have had good luck with them but I have never had one work like it should. The T2's and EVOD have worked well along with the Protank.

It does sound like you got Kanger clones but I cant say that is the problem but it sucks you were told they were Kanger products and not what you got.

I would move on the the EVOD and get the real Kanger EVOD's too.

Sorry, not much help.

rprata

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Providence, RI
Well, it's now seeming as though it only is happening when the tanks get below 1/4 full.

As for what I'm doing to clean them .. I've been swapping the coil heads whenever I change flavors, or 2-3 days max. I soak the heads in alcohol for a while (say 6-8 hours or so) and then rinse in hot water, and soak in water for another 6-8 hours, then let air dry for another 6-8 hours. I also rinse the tank body in hot water and let it dry.. so I am certainly letting things clean out, as I was afraid the wicks were clogging up. No issues today so far since I switched to some of the cleaned heads and filled up the tanks.

My plan is to get some EVOD's (Genuine) and some Protanks for the juices that don't like plastic / polycarbonate tanks. Hopefully that will put it to an end. I have no problems with the T3 tanks outside of those - they do perform very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread