What is a good 18650 or Universal Li-ion charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEDBETTER122

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Alabama
Alright I'm needing a new charger for my 18650 batteries, my Nitecrap Intellicharger went out on me with only 2 days of use.

Preferably at least a 2 bay in the $10-30 range

I'm looking at the XTAR WP2, or the Trustfire TR-001. Seen some really good reviews on the Trustfire, but have also seen multiple reviews on it blowing the charging cable out and make loud pop noise.

Any recommendations?

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
I would first see if I could get that nitecore replaced. My I2 had been charging 2x18650 or 4x18350 a day for almost 9 months now. Mine charges them to 4.2 every time. Sound like you just got a bad one, which happens with about any product. Xtar also makes great chargers, I am really looking hard at the vp1 as my main charger and the I2 as a backup but thats a little over your budget. Phila is also a great brand of charger known for being reliable. I would stay away from the trustfire chargers personally.

LEDBETTER122

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Alabama
I would first see if I could get that nitecore replaced. My I2 had been charging 2x18650 or 4x18350 a day for almost 9 months now. Mine charges them to 4.2 every time. Sound like you just got a bad one, which happens with about any product. Xtar also makes great chargers, I am really looking hard at the vp1 as my main charger and the I2 as a backup but thats a little over your budget. Phila is also a great brand of charger known for being reliable. I would stay away from the trustfire chargers personally.

Sounds about like my luck, If there is a bad one somewhere, I'll be sure to be the first to let you know.

Rokey

Aug 17, 2013
United States
I had the Trustfire that you are looking at as my first charger, but replaced it with the Nitecore i4. The Trusfire didn't charge fast enough, and it made a spark in the outlet when I plugged it in! The Nitecore doesn't make the spark and has a lot more features. I think you just got a broken item with yours. After two days, it should be under warranty, right?

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
My choice is an RC hobby charger. It gives you complete control over charge current and cut off voltages, can balance charge and can also be used for discharging to measure actual capacity. The LCD display keeps you informed on what's going on which is way better than just a "ready" light. Charging 4 18650 2400mAh batteries in a Nitecore i4 takes 6.5 hours. I can charge them at 0.5C in 2 hours.
Don't throw away your dead Nitecrap. They make a perfect battery cradle for use with a hobby charger.

Last edited:

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I have a TR-001 and a Efest LUC. The TR-001 will charge a discharged 2000 MAH 18650 in about 10 to 14 hours where as the LUC takes 2 to 3 hours. The LUC is a hands down winner between these two. Some people may say that longer is better but there is a point of deminishing returns. 2 hours is well within the recomended maximum charge rate for optimum battery life.

Morris65

Oct 29, 2013
Arlington, VA
odd Ive been using the Nitecore Intellicharger for several months and no issues...

I bought one a month ago after a reading many reviews and have been quite satisfied. Got the 2 bay unit w/car adapter. Of course it's always a bummer (yeah...I was around for the "summer of love?) when you wind up with a bad unit and it's gonna happen...stuff does.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I have a TR-001 and a Efest LUC. The TR-001 will charge a discharged 2000 MAH 18650 in about 10 to 14 hours where as the LUC takes 2 to 3 hours. The LUC is a hands down winner between these two. Some people may say that longer is better but there is a point of deminishing returns. 2 hours is well within the recomended maximum charge rate for optimum battery life.

Check those batteries coming off the LUC. The first generation has been reviewed as not acceptable for charging batteries to over voltage.

That's why I don't buy Nitecrap or Efest chargers. These things should work right to begin with, and not require a second generation release to fix major oversights in the first version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread