Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I soak my coils in PGA (everclear) for a couple of hours. If you can't get PGA, any cheap strong vodka will do. When the coil gets really gunky, a quick dry burn is the only way to clean it. I also like to vape some unflavored (PG or PG/VG mix) at high(er) wattage to dissolve the goo that accumulates on the coils--PG is a great solvent.

I don't recommend using vinegar on any electronic components, though. Acids and electronics don't mix. :)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I have the Triton tanks and Kanger T2s which are nearly identical. Here are the steps I take.

1. Disassemble...including removing the white-ish plastic sleeve from the coil/head piece.
2. Flush it all with very hot tap water.
3. Set the tube. mouthpiece and plastic sleeve aside to dry.
4. Place just the head with the wicks in everclear or vodka for 1 hour or more (or even overnight)...then flush again with hot water.
5. After the wicks dry, I remove the loose flavor wick and the small silver piece on the top of the head...screw the head back onto the tube.
6. Then, I put it on a battery, and using short bursts, burn off the gunk on the coil until it stops smoking and I see a good orange glow across the coil.
7. Then I remove the head and rinse it again to get rid of the burnt smell...set aside to dry.
8. Once it's all dry...re-assemble.

I did pop (burn out) one coil with this process...but it usually works out fine. Yeah, I know, lots of steps, but I have several T2s and I can rotate them and let them dry.

marshbunny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
NE GA, USA
I had been doing some researching today and found this interesting link. I way trying to find a easier (lazy) way to keep up the maintenance to get more life from my coil heads. I tried it out this evening with my Shark hand steamer, dang if it didn't work. I did soak 1st in PGA, then steam cleaned. Just a thought if you happen to have a steamer.

? My Perfect E-Cig & Steam Cleaned Coils. - YouTube

VirtualJunky

Sep 25, 2013
Florida
hey just wanted to know what the best way to clean a coil is im new to all of this so i didnt want to mess anything up so decided to ask oh here first by the way i have a halo triton thanks:vapor::vapor::vapor:

For the Halo Triton it's simple as hell, take the tip off, and the coil out, take all 3 parts (including the tank itself) and boil them, this is how Halo themselves recommend a good cleaning, and it kills all the bacteria. To properly do this however, you got to follow a few simple rules. Never let the parts touch the pot directly, use a strainer, or a stirring utensil that has holes in it, with the parts in that, submerge till they are just under the water. To start off, kinda bring it in and out of the water, to get all the main stuff out. From there, just put it under for about 20 seconds, and take it out for a minute, then back in for 20 seconds. Repeat this a few times then let air dry.

Because of the rubber, and the tank being plastic, you don't want them to get to hot, just keep that in mind, it's why you take them in an out a few times. You don't want like crazy hot water either, just enough to see little bubbles all around the sides and bottom of the pot. Hope this helps!

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
I have the Triton tanks and Kanger T2s which are nearly identical. Here are the steps I take.

1. Disassemble...including removing the white-ish plastic sleeve from the coil/head piece.
2. Flush it all with very hot tap water.
3. Set the tube. mouthpiece and plastic sleeve aside to dry.
4. Place just the head with the wicks in everclear or vodka for 1 hour or more (or even overnight)...then flush again with hot water.
5. After the wicks dry, I remove the loose flavor wick and the small silver piece on the top of the head...screw the head back onto the tube.
6. Then, I put it on a battery, and using short bursts, burn off the gunk on the coil until it stops smoking and I see a good orange glow across the coil.
7. Then I remove the head and rinse it again to get rid of the burnt smell...set aside to dry.
8. Once it's all dry...re-assemble.

I did pop (burn out) one coil with this process...but it usually works out fine. Yeah, I know, lots of steps, but I have several T2s and I can rotate them and let them dry.

Thanks for your excellent step by step procedure!

In your Step 6), it looks like you burn off the gunk on the coil with the 2nd wick still inside the coil. Doesn't that wick burn?

By the way, do you recommend any non-Halo replacement heads for the Triton tanks? Halo sells them $2.50 a piece.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread