What is the definition of smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
I googled it and found this. Non-trolling purposes. I figure this is how all the laws get passed.
https://www.google.com/search?q=def...5.5665j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

smoke
smok/Submit
noun
a visible suspension of carbon or other particles in air, typically one emitted from a burning substance.
"bonfire smoke"
synonyms: fumes, exhaust, gas, vapor; More
an act of smoking tobacco.
plural noun: smokes
"I'm dying for a smoke"
informal
a cigarette or cigar.
verb
verb: smoke; 3rd person present: smokes; past tense: smoked; past participle: smoked; gerund or present participle: smoking
emit smoke or visible vapor.
"heat the oil until it just smokes"
synonyms: smolder, emit smoke; More
inhale and exhale the smoke of tobacco or a drug.
"Janine was sitting at the kitchen table smoking"
synonyms: puff on, draw on, pull on; More
cure or preserve (meat or fish) by exposure to smoke.
"smoked salmon"
synonyms: cure, preserve, dry More

Last edited:

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
There's a perfect symbol that can point out a major difference between a cigarette and an E-cig.

triangle.gif

Tell me which sides do a cigarette have? and which side an E-cig has?

Because where there is smoke there is fire.

Last edited:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Can you provide a link to a vendor of e-juice who uses nicotine extracted from something other than tobacco?

No, because to my knowledge, there isn't yet a cost-effective method for extracting nicotine base from anything except tobacco. I do recall reading about a couple of e-liquid vendors that use nicotine extracted from eggplant and chili peppers, but I have no recollection of what the brand names are, and I imagine the prices would be too prohibitive at this stage to make them significant players in the market.

But that's not really the point. The point is that the widely-held perception that "nicotine" and "tobacco" are synonymous terms just isn't correct. I read an article recently wherein a county public health director, a medical doctor, made the statement "All nicotine comes from tobacco." That's the level of ignorance we're dealing with here, where medical professionals, charged with shaping public health policy, don't even know that nicotine is a common alkaloid that exists in the bloodstream of every human being who eats a normal diet.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
No, because to my knowledge, there isn't yet a cost-effective method for extracting nicotine base from anything except tobacco. I do recall reading about a couple of e-liquid vendors that use nicotine extracted from eggplant and chili peppers, but I have no recollection of what the brand names are, and I imagine the prices would be too prohibitive at this stage to make them significant players in the market.

But that's not really the point. The point is that the widely-held perception that "nicotine" and "tobacco" are synonymous terms just isn't correct. I read an article recently wherein a county public health director, a medical doctor, made the statement "All nicotine comes from tobacco." That's the level of ignorance we're dealing with here, where medical professionals, charged with shaping public health policy, don't even know that nicotine is a common alkaloid that exists in the bloodstream of every human being who eats a normal diet.

Nicotine, as it is available, is extracted from tobacco, making it a tobacco product. You may want to do some research regarding how many eggplants and tomatoes one would need to eat in order to get any significant amount of nicotine...

Can you provide a link to the article?

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Nicotine, as it is available, is extracted from tobacco, making it a tobacco product.

No, that's not correct. Nicotine can be extracted from any number of sources. Just because one of those sources is currently the most cost-effective, and thus the most commercially viable option, does not make the statement "nicotine is a tobacco product" accurate, any more than "caffeine is most easily extracted from coffee beans, therefore caffeine is a coffee product" is accurate.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
No, that's not correct. Nicotine can be extracted from any number of sources. Just because one of those sources is currently the most cost-effective, and thus the most commercially viable option, does not make the statement "nicotine is a tobacco product" accurate, any more than "caffeine is most easily extracted from coffee beans, therefore caffeine is a coffee product" is accurate.

I said as it is available, it is a tobacco product, as no one is selling it from any source other than tobacco. You do realize it doesn't matter, as legislation is concerned, as the government sees nic as a tobacco product...
Can you provide a link to a vendor selling non tobacco extracted nicotine?

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Sorry, but we do not permit discussion of any additives but nicotine

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Sorry, but we do not permit discussion of any additives but nicotine

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
I said as it is available, it is a tobacco product, as no one is selling it from any source other than tobacco. You do realize it doesn't matter, as legislation is concerned, as the government sees nic as a tobacco product...
Can you provide a link to a vendor selling non tobacco extracted nicotine?

Well, sorry, but I must disagree:

1) All Pharma NRT's have nicotine in them. As far as as legislation is concerned, they are NOT considered 'tobacco products', because there is no tobacco in them.

2) Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant... they all have nicotine in them. In fact, noboby tests actually ZERO for cotinine, since nicotine is a normal ingredient in our diet. It is, in fact, a precursor for B3 vitamin (Nicotinic acid). If tobacco was the only source, people would actually be forced to smoke to get their necessary nicotine intake. Again, as far as as legislation is concerned, 'healthy' foods, like vegetables, are not considered tobacco products - no tobacco in them.

The fact that the new european TPD managed to sneak e-cigarettes (a product that has no tobacco in them, and can actually have no nicotine at all) in a set of regulations concerning 'tobacco' products, is nothing related to proper science or logic - money, lost revenues, and protecting 'big money' was the motive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread