what makes a n00b?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
I still consider myself a noob on a lot of subjects and I have been vaping for almost 2 years.

There are some topics I am very versed in and others that I wouldn't comment on because I can't speak intelligently about it.

This is pretty spot on. I've only been vaping for like 3 months, I make my own coils, I know about a lot of things but then again there are things I know nothing about and come to this forum for guidance.

NineToez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Los Angeles, CA USA
I think the term n00b really just comes from lack of experience. It's a loose term that's thrown around any time you're trying to seeking consultation from others that have some experience, much like doctors would look at medical students as n00bs. It shouldn't be discouraging, as not every one of us "older" vapers truly know everything about vaping.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Being a noob is all about experience.

A noob, n00b, or newbie is someone who is almost totally inexperienced with a subject. They may know a few of the basics, but they lack a lot of knowledge and understanding. Being a noob is entirely dependent on knowledge and experience, not on the amount of time someone has been doing something.

I would still consider my wife a noob despite the fact that she's been vaping for almost a year. She doesn't know anything beyond her own setup and still needs me to do simple things like change coils for her.

She doesn't even know her own setup that well. After 6 months I got her away from her SVD and into a 69 mech mod with a Kick, primarily because she didn't want to, didn't care to, and didn't even know how to change the settings on her SVD. She wanted something smaller but didn't want to give up how long it lasted on a charge, the regulated power it provided, and she didn't care about changing settings. Now she's rocking with a 2000 mAh 18500 battery putting out a regulated 6.25 watts to her iClear 30s tank and she couldn't be happier. It's just slightly over half the size of her SVD and for her, it does everything her SVD did.

A 69 mod with a Kick was the perfect answer for her, but I had to be the one who had all of the knowledge and experience with the different options that were out there to make that call.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
A newb or newbie is someone who lacks experience. A n00b or noob is someone who lacks intelligence or common sense. The typin it as n00b is further disrespect. In chat rooms, people that act immature are called noobs. You are a newbie vaper only to those who have been doin it longer than you or think they know more than you. :)

Last edited:

dripdaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I am going to agree with it being a topic specific term indicating experience. I have very little experience with VV/VW mods and toppers for them and would consider myself a newb with them. I have only made a few batches of juice and I'm a newb there as well. I've been doing the mech/RDA thing for a while now and I'm probably not so much a newb there.

a wandering soul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
North Carolina
I ptefer nu_b tyvm.. lol

Someone who isnt knowledgeable on the subject matters...

Ive seen newbs who had been at the subject matter for a year.. ive seen pros who have only been at it for a couple weeks/months.

It all depends on the person & there similar knowledge that can cross apply it.. how quickly they learn & how much they dedicate themselves.

Im still a nu_b. But who knows how long that will last.

I can has tapatalked this.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
To me a newbie vaper is someone that has only been vaping for a short time. Hard to define exactly when one crosses over that "short time" line but generally I'd define it as anyone vaping for less then 3 months is a newbie vaper.

The thing is that one could have been vaping for two years and be far from a newbie vaper but still be a newbie to DIY if they only just started doing DIY in the past month. Same for any other aspect of vaping. Don't have to be a newbie vaper to still be a newbie to different aspects of vaping that one has never gotten to know and learn in their past vaping experiences.

Yep, I still consider a person that's only been vaping for 2 months a newbie even if they have been building coils and DIYing their juice. Nothing wrong with being a newbie, we were all one at one time and some of us are still newbie's at different aspects of vaping even if we've been vaping for several years. :)

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
A noob is someone to whom something/activity or some aspect of it is new to them. Yes, its based on experience and definitely not time. I've been vaping for over a year and a half and there are aspects of it, as in hardware or methods, that I would be a noob to. Consider this: Some people NEVER learn and are noobs all their lives. Life is hard for them. Hard to believe but true.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Newbiness is in the eye of the beholder ;)

^^^this. When it comes to vaping I think there is so much to know that everyone is going to be a newbie in some area. someone might be an expert on using carto tanks with great success but know nothing about rebuildable tanks. And one person might know quite a bit about how to make a clearo perform at it's best but know little about building a good coil for a dripping atomizer.

And then there's the opposite. Someone can be pretty good at building coils for rebuildable tanks & drippers but know next to nothing about how to make a carto tank work well or fix problems with a clearo.

It just depends really on what you've spent the most time with.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
A noob is someone to whom something/activity or some aspect of it is new to them. Yes, its based on experience and definitely not time. I've been vaping for over a year and a half and there are aspects of it, as in hardware or methods, that I would be a noob to. Consider this: Some people NEVER learn and are noobs all their lives. Life is hard for them. Hard to believe but true.

You must know a lot of my extended family members.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread