what mec mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
If you are going all competitive, i'd suggest some all copper hybrid, or better a stingray x with copper insides, but learn about batteries and safety first, and if you are going to use a hybrid, make sure you have an atty with an adjustable not floating pin.

Besides, most likely the limiting component will be your atty, not your mod. Maybe a Doge X.

Last edited:

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
A copper hybrid if your sole desire is to create the biggest clouds would probably be the best bet. Make sure you learn about batteries, get an ohm meter and some Sony VTC4s. I have a copper SMPL, Praxis and Stingray X and I personally think the Praxis hits the hardest. I attribute it to the lack of threads at the bottom of the device but I may be totally wrong haha. Most of the time a good mech is a good mech and it comes down to things like finish, looks, hybrid or not hybrid, price and the name of the device. Are you apposed to clones? I ask because if the answers no you can go on FT, set a reasonable budget and walk away with a few mechs depending on that budget. If you can afford 100$ you can probably get 5-7 devices and that will give you a chance to try a bunch, see which you like and if you want get the authentic. I own an authentic Praxis but I got the clone first to make sure it was what I wanted and tbh the clone is not very different, my reasons for buying an authentic had nothing to do with quality I simply loved the device so I felt $150 to support the OG mod maker was not a big deal. YMMV

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
And remember I'm new and any suggestions regarding safety and product would be greatly appreciated.

There's a lot to learn. I am on a cellphone and don't have access to links. Susan might pop in, she's got them all handy.

Since you are new to mech mods I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
How does it work for battery levels. I use Sony 18650 3.7 2100mah. When should I stop using and charge them

As for me, I usually pull mine when it is at 3.7. It starts at 4.2 fully charged. I notice diminished performance when it's in the 3.7 range. The lowest I've gone is 3.62.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
What do you check the battery with? Charger?

The same VOM I use to check everything else on the mod. The coil gets an additional check via it's dedicated meter. all meters get checked against each other, also, so I know the error correction rate. No 2 off the shelf meters read the same. Accuracy is very important, when you are sucking on a pipe bomb. never trust reading you get from chargers or your MOD, those are for reference or WARNING only. Never, trust a tool that may be part of ANY problem.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread