What ratio pg/vg

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Just curious what ratio pg/vg juice ya'll use..Newbie here, are most ejuices standard (50/50)? Or do most vape shops have a lot that are 50/50, some 60/40 pg/vg, some 70/30 pg/vg, or vice-versa or whatever ratio you want? It's all new to me. I suspect given all I've heard and read that I'll want a higher pg to vg juice because I'm not looking to chase clouds or be overly conspicuous, I'm just looking for enjoyable, discrete smoking with decent throat/lung hits. So it would seem a higher pg volume would suit me best, if I can tolerate it. Thanks for any input :cool:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
What equipment are you using to vape with? Where do you live?
Just curious what ratio pg/vg juice ya'll use..
If I have a choice, usually 30/70 (PG/VG) with the equipment I use to vape with.
Newbie here, are most ejuices standard (50/50)? Or do most vape shops have a lot that are 50/50, some 60/40 pg/vg, some 70/30 pg/vg, or vice-versa or whatever ratio you want?
Depends on the vape shop. Some vape shops will mix on demand. Some only carry their house blends in one PG/VG ratio. Vape shops that carry other manufacturers juice will have whatever ratio that manufacture blends at.
I suspect given all I've heard and read that I'll want a higher pg to vg juice because I'm not looking to chase clouds or be overly conspicuous, I'm just looking for enjoyable, discrete smoking with decent throat/lung hits. So it would seem a higher pg volume would suit me best, if I can tolerate it. Thanks for any input
PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Reactions: Baditude

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I'll probably be starting on your basic Ego Twist or maybe a Vision Spinner, because I am totally new to vaping and am pretty clueless other than what I've read or watched on youtube. I'm just used to smoking cigarettes when I want one. Lol.
I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (both mods) with an Aspire Mini Nautillus or eLeaf GS Air M (tanks) to someone new to vaping. Videos below.

eLeaf iStick 30 Watt
Innokin Coolfire 4
Aspire Nautilus Mini
eLeaf GS Air M Tank

Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

What an e-cigarette consists of:

1. Power Source -- Battery or Mod/APV. APV = Advanced Personal Vaporizer
2. Juice Delivery Devise -- often a clearomizer (a tank that uses "stock/factory" coils).
3. Heating element. Often called a coil.
4. Eliquid. Often called Juice.

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
1. The Three Main Types of Ecig
2. Vaping Slang and Acronyms

Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I'm fairly new to vaping. So take what i say with a grain of salt. Just over 2 months vaping. If I'm wrong i hope someone who knows better will step in and say so.
I read somewhere here in the forums that PG has more of a dehydrating effect. I believe that I've experienced this myself. I ordered some 50/50 juice and the 'stuff' that was clearing itself out of my lungs (after 45 years of smoking) became very thick and sticky. It was actually difficult to cough it out. Then I came across some 80VG/20PG juice and that thinned the 'stuff' out. Only have a problem when I go back to the 50/50.
Almost ready to start diy-ing my own juice. I'm planning to do at least 75VG/25PG to keep my lungs loose.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Helpful everyone! So great. No clue what I'll get yet but probably like I said an ego twist or vision spinner not going to spend more than 40 or so bucks for my first kit, need to get hang of things first. Just curious what eliquid ratio I might like best. I can see myself vaping lots of times in the car because that's where I smoke a lot, & I don't want to be blowing huge clouds. And if I'm out at the bars or something, I just want to smoke without people thinking I'm catching fire lol

Reactions: Foggy Road

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Just curious what eliquid ratio I might like best. I can see myself vaping lots of times in the car because that's where I smoke a lot, & I don't want to be blowing huge clouds. And if I'm out at the bars or something, I just want to smoke vape without people thinking I'm catching fire lol
  • 50/50 would be fine on a spinner setup.
  • Visit a local vape shop to see what they carry as far as juice goes. Most have "juice bars" where you can try their flavors and many use ego type batteries (non-spinner) to try their juice. They also may use CE5 clearomizers (don't buy one of these).
  • Depending on where you live you may not be able to vape at bars. In Minnesota no vaping in bars/restaurants and most other indoor public spaces.

I started off the same way you're planning to. Ego twist with an aspire carto. It worked well enough as a field test of sorts. I didn't want to spend a lot on my first gear then find out that vaping wasn't for me. That came after when I discovered I really like to vape. :p

I believe the first juice I had was a 70/30 pg/vg blend. Now with decent set-up I find that even 50/50 gives me a sore throat, but I've also become a chain vaper.

MatthewCJ3

Nov 19, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
You'll find your sweet ratio spot. I'm finding that I like the 50/50 ratio.

I think what youre starting with is fine and as far as clearomizers go just remember that most of them have a lot of parts to clean and replace. A Kanger Evod would probably be the most hassle free clearomizer. They come in an assortment of colors and they also make them in glass.

Reactions: RobbyRocket

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I started with 50/50. I wanted a little more cloud, so I started upping my game.

I DIY my juice, and I go for "max" VG. My flavorings are PG-based, but my nic is VG-based. So, whatever the percentage of flavoring (usually 20-30%) is my PG, and add my Nic and top with VG....

Because I'm using higher-flavored mixes, I don't want for flavor. I get sufficient cloud - I'm not a rainmaker by any stretch - and it's *MY* sweet spot.

Good luck in your search - sometimes that's all part of the fun ;)

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Thanks again everyone very helpful I've learned so much in such a short time. I feel like I'm a lot better to make a better choice with the vaping. I'm going to go with my hunch & once I get a flavor I like, go with the vape that most closely mimicks what smoking cigarettes is like. Going for more stealth here, I don't have time for all the tweaking & I am not a tinkerer, I like a sleek, classy looking pen with a good hit without a bunch of cloud. That sums it up lol.

Reactions: DingerCPA

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
  • 50/50 would be fine on a spinner setup.
  • Visit a local vape shop to see what they carry as far as juice goes. Most have "juice bars" where you can try their flavors and many use ego type batteries (non-spinner) to try their juice. They also may use CE5 clearomizers (don't buy one of these).
  • Depending on where you live you may not be able to vape at bars. In Minnesota no vaping in bars/restaurants and most other indoor public spaces.

I am doing just that! You mentioned don't get a CE5 clearomizer, are they just basically crap, is that why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread