What size switch would handle two 18650 unregulated box mod??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Invalid Request

This switch can handle 21 amps at 8 volt DC and should be able to handle more amps at 4.2 volts. I am going to try one in a unregulated box mod with two 18650 batteries in parallel. It is only a little over 10mm wide. This is the best switch I have been able to find during a two week search online that will fit in the design I am going to built.

The link above goes to the listing for this switch. I do not know why it says Invalid Request.

Last edited:

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I never would have thought to use a snap-action switch. Nice idea. Not sure you can use the one you linked to as it is SPDT-NC and for our application we usually use SPST-NO switches. I did find this one that meets those standards..

Invalid Request

The switch I linked is NC, however it has three terminals(Com, NO and NC) and is DT. I will not use the NC terminal, I will only use the Com and the NO terminals. That way when the button is pressed the circuit will be completed between the Com and the NO and power will flow to the atomizer. The switch you linked is rated at 16 amps at 8 volts DC. They make the switch you linked in 21 amps, but Digikey does not have them in stock. That is the switch I was going to get if it had been available.
I think these switches will work great in an unregulated box mod and they take up very little space. As cheap as they are I am going to order a few of them so if they have a somewhat limited life I can replace with a new one.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
A mechanical switch that will handle 20A will wear your finger out. I highly suggest making a circuit with a fet transistor that is rated for about 50A.

Where could I find info on a fet transistor and a circuit like you are suggesting? I would love to use something like that in my unregulated box mod.

Little White Cloud

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
San Diego CA, USA
Typically I go to digikey or mouser and do a search for a good fet. You find a good one and look at the datasheet and make a circuit on some copper clad pcb bread board. Do some searches on these things and you find what you need. One tip though. Go with a newer part, they create much less heat than older part #s. Learn to use SMT parts. They save LOTS of space.

The big chip here is an example of a surface mounted fet, but follow datasheet instructions.
P1090895-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is another of the same ST fets on a tiny board controlling power to a bunch of other stuff.
P1100416.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread