What's the best top coil these days? Still the Viva Nova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
I tried them once and didn't like them. But, that was without rebuilding the heads. I'm pretty good at rebuilding protank heads, but I hate having to take the whole thing apart to check for problems, etc...

And I'm thinking the top coil types may be least likely to leak when vaped upside down (wife is bedridden at times).

I know I'll probably get a lot of different answers on what's best. That's what makes vaping so great!

Please let me know what top coil clearo/viva type you think is best that you can rebuild the coils on

Thanks!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I like the original vivi-nova, good vape, warm, easy to rebuild, don't leak. What I have found with them in many experiments is they work best for me with a short wick, that is touching the tank and a bit more. And fluff up the wick, unravel it, wicks much better, even with 50/50 juice.

I've had one cracked tank (out of three) but that happened when I dropped my PV and it landed tank first, the threads of the tank snapped right off. Go figure...:laugh:

re: using short wicks, if you hold your PV perfectly vertical and bend your head over to take a draw you may have wicking problems. If you tilt your PV taking a vape, all is well!!!
And if you bend your head and look down every time you take a vape, please do not, never, never, ever, drive behind me on the road. I'd rather you keep your eyes forward and tilt your PV...:vapor:

sam12six

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Georgia
My cards would go to the iclear 30 for top coil if you don't need a glass tank. Vivi if you do. I use iclear 30 and igo-w dripper for the tank cracking liquids

For taste, I gotta +1 for the iclear 30. I'm puffing on dekang beer flavor right now and I swear it tastes so exactly like beer it's giving me a psychosomatic buzz.

For vaping upside down, the iclear 30 is probably the worst option I've ever seen. Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes the bubble pops and the entire tank of juice will literally run straight out the mouthpiece.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
Folks he's asking for the
best that you can rebuild the coils on

I understand that the iclear 30 is technically rebuildable, but it takes no res wire and is generally a PITA. I love the vape my iclears give, but in terms of true rebuildbale, it's probably still the Vision Vivi Nova. I haven't owned a SmokTech or knockoff, but I've read nothing but problems with them (hence the reason I purchased the Vision).

OP, know that the iclears are great, and I love mine and use them often, but IMO they aren't worth the trouble to rebuild.

Shorebird

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Strawberry, MD
Thanks for great feedback folks. I think that was the problem when I tried the viva. I don't think it was a vision. I'll give Them a shot. And I think I may have an iclear still in my drawer

I'm having problems finding replacement heads for the Vision Vivi Nova V3 tanks.
I have two of the 3.5 ml version.
I managed to get 2 packs (5 heads per pack), but they all came with a "cone" or "nipple"
at the tip that will NOT fit in the Vision Vivi Nova V3 tank. Other options seem to be sold out.
I'm down to only 2 replacement heads.
Any suggestions?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I'm having problems finding replacement heads for the Vision Vivi Nova V3 tanks.
I managed to get 2 packs (5 heads per pack), but they all came with a "cone" or "nipple"
at the tip that will NOT fit in the Vision Vivi Nova V3 tank. Other options seem to be sold out.
Any suggestions?

Rebuild the ones you have? (you didn't throw them out !! :ohmy:)

I've been rebuilding mine, but have received a few with the "cone" or "nipple" you describe. I've found they will work if you remove the nipple, taking care that the height of the silicone top will still seal against the top cap.
I received a few that were too tall for the top cap, so I dremeled them to fit tight, they vape great.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
Any suggestions?

I think you got replacements for the Smoktech Vivi. (As you noted) they are not compatible with the Visions.

I agree with trying to rebuild, but look around. I think I've seen them at cignots and a couple other places recently.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Shorebird

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Strawberry, MD
Rebuild the ones you have? (you didn't throw them out !! :ohmy:)

I've been rebuilding mine, but have received a few with the "cone" or "nipple" you describe. I've found they will work if you remove the nipple, taking care that the height of the silicone top will still seal against the top cap.
I received a few that were too tall for the top cap, so I dremeled them to fit tight, they vape great.

Aw! Hell!!!!
I was afraid of that Stosh!
Yes! I threw them out. I went through all but 2 of 10 and tossed them out as DOA.
Well, at least I kept the plastic parts and some of the tips. :blush:
I found a 5-pack at Provape and ordered it, but I'm worried about what's actually in the foil.
I'm not looking forward to wrapping wire for a vape, but if that's what I have to do...

Shorebird

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Strawberry, MD
I think you got replacements for the Smoktech Vivi. (As you noted) they are not compatible with the Visions.

I agree with trying to rebuild, but look around. I think I've seen them at cignots and a couple other places recently.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

I think you are right! I have read a few other posts from other folks elsewhere with the same issue.
The replacements I ordered were listed as suitable for the VN3 but they were obviously
for the knockoff Vivis.
The problem for me now is that all of the 'real" replacement heads are sold out.
Maybe that is why they are pushing the knockoffs...

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Aw! Hell!!!!
I was afraid of that Stosh!
Yes! I threw them out. I went through all but 2 of 10 and tossed them out as DOA.
Well, at least I kept the plastic parts and some of the tips. :blush:
I found a 5-pack at Provape and ordered it, but I'm worried about what's actually in the foil.
I'm not looking forward to wrapping wire for a vape, but if that's what I have to do...

First rule of vaping: NEVER throw out a used consumable!! The bits and pieces can come in handy for all sorts of uses. Carto condoms can be trimmed and used to adjust air flow when using an extension, old rubber drip tips can be trimmed for all sorts of gaskets...etc...:)

Wrapping a coil for a Vivi is simple, take a syringe needle, lay the wick alongside, wrap 3-4 coils and insert into the Vivi. The Smoketech heads can be trimmed down with a dremmel or a flat file, and a bit of patience. In a way I like them a bit better as the wick slot is wider, allows better juice flow. (I use a 50/50 mix)

Don't be afraid of modding, jiggering around with your vaping gear, most are very simple. Small changes can make a big difference in flavor and vapor.

Just PM me if you run into problems, I've been using the Vivi since the V2 were brand new and untested.
Be warned I hate bottom coil cartos of any type - have since the original Kanger and GO-GOs...:laugh:

Shorebird

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Strawberry, MD
Your suggestion to re-wrap the coils for my Vision Vivi Nova (V-3) has my attention especially now that they are getting
harder to find.
My sister is a nurse, so getting a syringe needle should be easy peasy.
Well, unless she can only get me the used ones... :blink:
I assume that I need a + and a - wire coming off of the head.
Is there any magic in measuring the distance between the wraps?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Your suggestion to re-wrap the coils for my Vision Vivi Nova (V-3) has my attention especially now that they are getting
harder to find.
My sister is a nurse, so getting a syringe needle should be easy peasy.
Well, unless she can only get me the used ones... :blink:
I assume that I need a + and a - wire coming off of the head.
Is there any magic in measuring the distance between the wraps?

You want a needle about 16-18 gauge, not too thin and without a point. Grind the tip if necessary, you don't want to stick yourself, it's just a good thickness and rigid for easy wrapping. Wrap 3-4 coils spaced close together without touching, then measure the resistance!! You want to know your resistance before firing it up. Just leave a long enough tail on the wires to extend through the bottom of the coil assembly, trim them after assembly.

A simple coil wire with no-resistance leads are available here Kanthal Ready Wires- 50 pack and you can pick your favorite ohms. :)

pablo_h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
australia
Best top coil. I would say the iclear, but it's dual coil and not really rebuildable easily for that reason, but replacements are about $2 anyway. Best rebuildable would be either the mini nova or the kangertech T2

I think the new version mini nova (v4+) is dual coil , so forget that. The older version v3 is single coil and easily rebuildable though.

v3 mini mova cons are it looks stupid on an ego/spinner battery without buying a separate dress ring/beauty ring and it's easy to damage, while the T2 has a skirt already so the 510 thread or lower body doesn't get stuffed up as easily if you drop it, unlike the nova. Edit: This would make the nova better on a mod than the T2 IMHO, but the T2 better than the nova on an ego battery...

Other problems with the nova is the metal can crack and the thing will leak. But the flavor from them is very very good, one of my favorites and worth the extra hassle maybe?
There's a v4 nova that is single coil but I've never tried them though, and a victory version of the nova too. But they cost way more than a kangertech T2 anyway and I haven't tried them.

I don't really bother with larger tanks than 2ml, as thats about what I use per day and I like changing flavors and cleaning them regularly anyway. Just for some reason the flavor from my nova 2ml is a lot better than the 3.5ml version as well (no idea why, they've both had multiple wick changes, also the mini nova has an airier draw, and I like that as I have old smokers lungs.

Last edited:

Shorebird

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Strawberry, MD
You want a needle about 16-18 gauge, not too thin and without a point. Grind the tip if necessary, you don't want to stick yourself, it's just a good thickness and rigid for easy wrapping. Wrap 3-4 coils spaced close together without touching, then measure the resistance!! You want to know your resistance before firing it up. Just leave a long enough tail on the wires to extend through the bottom of the coil assembly, trim them after assembly.

A simple coil wire with no-resistance leads are available here Kanthal Ready Wires- 50 pack and you can pick your favorite ohms. :)

Thank you Stosh!

My K 2.4 Ohm wire is on the the way.
I also ordered some 3mm wick (Silica).

For other folks who may stumble upon this thread,
look at this:

Rebuilding a Vivi Nova | VAPE News Magazine

Again, Thanks Stosh, and I SWEAR! I will NEVER AGAIN toss out a
single-tiny bit of my kit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread