Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Riverside, California
Hi everyone,
I have two joyetech eGo wall chargers and two 650 batts and a twist. These chargers are finicky and only about 10 days old.
Example: one of my 650s just died, I screwed it on the charger (not too tight), the light flashed on the batt but the green light on the charger has remained green (doesn't switch over to red). I unscrewed it and tried again but no difference. I don't know if it's really charging or not, and if it is, when it will be done.
I've had severally different problems like this with both chargers (light doesn't go on, red light goes on/off/on, light stays green, etc).
Any thoughts?
Thanks much!

Sent from down a rabbit hole using Tapatalk.

Moueix

Moved On
Aug 20, 2012
Michigan and Iowa
When you first started screwing it on, did you tighten it to the point of it "clicking" a few times? What was happening is that you were rotating the charger base in its plastic housing, and twisting up the wires inside. That causes the wires to rip off of the solder inside the plastic case, and the charger is ruined.

I know, I did this myself. If you know someone handy, have them open it and resolder the wires back onto the charger base. Red goes on the center post, black on the outside ring. Then, when you screw the batt on, just lightly screw it on until it stops. Afraid you're hosed dear, you better order some new chargers or find a handy person.

wonderland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Riverside, California
(I realize I should have posted this originally in the eGo specific forum, so my apologies!)
there was definitely no "clicking" or over tightening involved. it's magically working again now, so I don't know what the deal is. seems they're just way too testy. time to stock up on backup chargers and maybe a pass through.

When you first started screwing it on, did you tighten it to the point of it "clicking" a few times? What was happening is that you were rotating the charger base in its plastic housing, and twisting up the wires inside. That causes the wires to rip off of the solder inside the plastic case, and the charger is ruined.

I know, I did this myself. If you know someone handy, have them open it and resolder the wires back onto the charger base. Red goes on the center post, black on the outside ring. Then, when you screw the batt on, just lightly screw it on until it stops. Afraid you're hosed dear, you better order some new chargers or find a handy person.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
When you say you have two JoyeTech wall chargers do you mean you have the JoyeTech charging dongle and the AC adapter that it plugs into?

It seems unlikely - possible, but unlikely - that you could have received two duds. Still things happen.

If the batteries are flashing - AIRC 5 times - when you plug the setup in that at least means everything from the AC adapter through to the battery connection is making contact. But if the LED on the charger dongle isn't changing over to red then something - either the battery or the charger - is putting your setup into a no charge condition. Damaged or dead batteries could do that. Possibly a defective charger too. But two of them? Hmmm...

What I'm wondering is: Did you get the AC adapter that the charger dongle plugs into with the eGo charger? Can you check the tag on the AC adapter - not the dongle itself - you are using and see what it's rated? That label should be right under the AC plug.

The AC adapter JoyTech provides for eGo setups has a DC output of 500 mAh. If the AC adapter you are plugging the charger into has a rated output less than 500 mAh that might be the source of the problem. Anything 500 mAh or greater is fine, less than 500 mAh will be a problem.

While your are looking, the sticker on a genuine JoyeTech charger dongle should read:

eGo USB charger
Input: DC 5V 500 mA
Output: DC 4.2V 420 mA

Is that watcha got?

wonderland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Riverside, California
When you say you have two JoyeTech wall chargers do you mean you have the JoyeTech charging dongle and the AC adapter that it plugs into?

It seems unlikely - possible, but unlikely - that you could have received two duds. Still things happen.

If the batteries are flashing - AIRC 5 times - when you plug the setup in that at least means everything from the AC adapter through to the battery connection is making contact. But if the LED on the charger dongle isn't changing over to red then something - either the battery or the charger - is putting your setup into a no charge condition. Damaged or dead batteries could do that. Possibly a defective charger too. But two of them? Hmmm...

What I'm wondering is: Did you get the AC adapter that the charger dongle plugs into with the eGo charger? Can you check the tag on the AC adapter - not the dongle itself - you are using and see what it's rated? That label should be right under the AC plug.

The AC adapter JoyTech provides for eGo setups has a DC output of 500 mAh. If the AC adapter you are plugging the charger into has a rated output less than 500 mAh that might be the source of the problem. Anything 500 mAh or greater is fine, less than 500 mAh will be a problem.

While your are looking, the sticker on a genuine JoyeTech charger dongle should read:

eGo USB charger
Input: DC 5V 500 mA
Output: DC 4.2V 420 mA

Is that watcha got?

The one that was stuck on green is now magically working again. the other is working as well. I received both chargers with starter kits from two different shops in the area. both chargers (both the USB and wall adapter are branded Joyetech) and both say the same thing:
on the USB part:
input: DC 5V 500mA
Output: DC 4.2V 420mA

so they both work, but they just aren't too consistent! meep?

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
Are the chargers clean? I sometimes slightly overfill clearomizers, and the juice would drip out of the bottom and get on the battery. I didn't always notice, and when I charged the battery, it got on the charger and gunked it up. That caused to to stop charging properly, but I cleaned it with alcohol and a q-tip, and everything works normally again...

wonderland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Riverside, California
Are the chargers clean? I sometimes slightly overfill clearomizers, and the juice would drip out of the bottom and get on the battery. I didn't always notice, and when I charged the battery, it got on the charger and gunked it up. That caused to to stop charging properly, but I cleaned it with alcohol and a q-tip, and everything works normally again...

I'll check that, thanks :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Batteries possibly having a bad hair day?

I only had this happen once with an Ego 900 mAh battery where it just didn't want to charge. On charger: went from red to green in about 30 seconds. Off charger: Wasn't good for much more than 30 seconds. Back on charger: Same thing. Off charger: Same thing. And repeat...

After doing that about five times the battery finally went to a full charge. Neither the batteries or the chargers ever flaked like that again.

Do try cleaning everything out though as suggested. Both the battery 510 connectors and the charger. Be it q-tip, paper towel etc. just check to make sure you don't leave anything behind too.

wonderland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Riverside, California
Do you leave the chargers plugged into the wall socket?
I always unplug them when I not using them as I had a battery charger one time that would not work if I left it plugged in. I went and got a new one and then discovered that the old one worked when I plugged it back in by mistake a few days later.

I do leave them sitting there in the wall. the one that was acting weird tonight started working again after I unplugged it to read the input/output for the question above. interesting... thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread