when to rewick and recoil RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I am fairly new to rda's been vaping a month only slowly learning and getting better but i still do not know when the right time to rewick and recoil my rda. I am running an eVic VT mod with the mutation xs ( mutation v4 mini ) rda. my coil is clocking in at 0.96 but i normally run 0.4-0.5 ( screwed up this coil by wrapping it on a different diameter screw driver ) it is a single coil. typical run around 22wats but now im experimenting at 30wats and seem to do better.

my coil is pretty black and my wick is dark brown but turning black where the coil is. i ONLY am getting a burnt flavor maybe after 3-4 hits. also when rewicking should i dry burn the coil first or leave it as is. i have heard to dry burn it before rewicking.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am fairly new to RDA's been vaping a month only slowly learning and getting better but i still do not know when the right time to rewick and recoil my RDA. I am running an eVic VT mod with the mutation xs ( mutation v4 mini ) rda. my coil is clocking in at 0.96 but i normally run 0.4-0.5 ( screwed up this coil by wrapping it on a different diameter screw driver ) it is a single coil. typical run around 22wats but now im experimenting at 30wats and seem to do better.

my coil is pretty black and my wick is dark brown but turning black where the coil is. i ONLY am getting a burnt flavor maybe after 3-4 hits. also when rewicking should i dry burn the coil first or leave it as is. i have heard to dry burn it before rewicking.

I rewick every 3 days to maybe a week;
I always dryburn before putting in fresh wick;

I recoil maybe after 3 months when/if the coil breaks; the coil breaks most times during rewicking of if I quench with water when dryburning.

Thicker wire coils are less likely to break;
I used mostly 30 gauge last year, and this year I am using more 28 gauge.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Coil is Metal.........Hard to just destroy Metal unless you are doing something wrong.

I have a few coils over 6 months. Clean every 30-50ml and rewick. easy peasy!

The more you let one Gunk up the shorter its life. Keep an eye on them, clean and rewick, they will last.

*note: Poeple will answer, every day, week, monthly........
Time is a misnomer and has little to do with actual usage. How much of what type e-liquid and personal preference all play roles.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Gunk on the wire is what forces a rebuild. Some liquids gunk things up faster. I was using a pre mix that requred service every 2 days. May be the culprit was sugar that was charmalizing. Than I changed to a flavor that lets me go a week or more between rebuilds. When the coils gets too gunked up the flavor gets muted.

With watts control gunk might coat the wire unevenly and you'll start getting a foul taste from the cleaner wire overheating. With temp control that shouldn't happen.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
I recoil after 6 months or when ever the coil pops when dry firing to clean gunk off. Only had that happen once. Glad it was on a regulated device. Never had a problem with it during that time. I recommend that you Do Not dry fire on Nickel coils. Kanthal wire is fine to dry fire. As far as rewicking, I do so when my juices start to blend too much after 5-10 pulls. If after that time I do not taste what the juice is supposed to be, time to rewick.

TonyB66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
London, UK
You need to re wick when you get a burnt taste. Usually you've vaped it dry and the wick has burnt. Even if it's just one dry hit you're probably going to taste it and let's face it cotton wick whatever form you use it in is so cheap you might as well change it. I recommend the Scottish Roll method of wicking, it holds so much juice and draws liquid so well you'll find you have to drip less often.

Coils can last ages once you get a good one or a good set working well. Just pull your wick out dry burn it until you've burnt off any old juice and then re wick. I give mine a dry burn and them wash them to clean the atomiser deck of any old juice. Flick/shake off any excess water give them another quick pulse/dry burn to make sure they are firing correctly and re wick.

If you are using Kanthal wire you can heat them up and burn off any old juice. Don't dry burn nickel, it's not recommended but you can give it a low power pulse, just don't let it glow to clear any old juice.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Some juices gunk up coils a lot faster than others. In your case, that's what this sounds like. Just pull the cotton out, dry burn it a few times, rewick and you should be good to go. Coils last a lot longer than most people tend to think. It's usually just gunk and rewicking to get you going again.

Reactions: GeorgeS

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I have a bunch of Kayfun v4s. I recoil when the coil breaks. I rewick about every other tankful. I do dry burn the coil to get the gunk off. some of my coils are 3-4 months old. On my clearer juices (menthol, spearmint, unflavored), the wicks last weeks. And once it tastes burnt, it gets changed because that taste will not come out. It will only get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread