Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Is there any much difference in resistance between the two? The alloys seem to be near identical with only a minor 2-3% difference.
Should work with 316 just the same if I had to guess.
In tc mode its not the resistance that matters, its the coefficient of the wire, or more simply how the wire changes resistance as it heats and cools. This tiny fluctuation is what is being monitored, and is why tc requires a very low resistance. While it should be close, changes in metal chemistry can change the coefficient and maybe make it harder to dial in just perfect, mods like the dicodes let you enter a coefficient number if you know it letting you use any wire you like.

In any case.

www.amazon.com/Artistic-Wire-Gauge-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0063DH7KE
a good starting point.

Reactions: collinsmcrae

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
In tc mode its not the resistance that matters, its the coefficient of the wire, or more simply how the wire changes resistance as it heats and cools. This tiny fluctuation is what is being monitored, and is why tc requires a very low resistance. While it should be close, changes in metal chemistry can change the coefficient and maybe make it harder to dial in just perfect, mods like the dicodes let you enter a coefficient number if you know it letting you use any wire you like.

In any case.

www.amazon.com/Artistic-Wire-Gauge-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0063DH7KE
a good starting point.
Yes I know but I think there should hardly be any difference in the coefficient between the two since the two alloys are nearly identical.

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Yes I know but I think there should hardly be any difference in the coefficient between the two since the two alloys are nearly identical.
From everything that I have read when you run ss 316 on a device set up for ss 304 it doesn't work too well. It's something like 75-100 degrees off and you lose most of the dial range. Now, if you crank the temp setting all the way up it may do you just fine, and some people claim that it does for them, but I would prefer to use 304 and have the full range function as accurately as possible. Now, the Evic VTC mini has updated to include 316, but my Reuleaux rx200 is still set to 304 only. Now, I am sure that the rx200 will be updated before long considering that it has a similar chip produced by the same manufacturer, but I would like to get some 304 in the mean time and to be able to compare and contrast between which alloy I like better. 316 is much more readily available though, which makes you wonder why they ever went with 304 in the first place.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Look up 24g or 26g 316L on ebay don't buy the stuff labelled for vaping or you'll be buying the same stuff at a high markup.
It's typically labelled as Jewlery related since you can use it to make necklaces and such. A pack of 15ft is typically 3-4 dollars.

Pretty much the only useful resource on E-Bay as far as vaping, don't buy batteries from E-Bay though!
I've always used 316L on my coils and my TC builds work great but I'm using a DNA 200 with a custom curve. The VTC Mini I also have has new firmware that allows further customization of SS TC curves I'm sure the RX will get the same since they practically use the same chip. Give it a few weeks and Joyetech should give it the same update.

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
I use 316l on my RX200 and it's working fine. I just updated my VTC mini and it has a SS316 setting that works a little better, but hardly noticeable. I'm sure there will be a custom TCR update for the RX200 soon.
Yes that was my experience as well. Been using 304,316 & 317 (I think, it missed labelling) on my VTC mini in SS mode and hardly noticed a difference but could be a VTC mini thing or just me. Nice the new 3.0 FW for the mini with 3 memory settings for custom coefficient settings by the way:)

collinsmcrae

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate - We don't talk to people like this here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread