Why can't the Chinese companies have a native English speaker edit their English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefutureisnow

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Florida
I know the Chinese aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but can't they find a native English speaker somewhere in China or online and offer them say $50 dollars to clean up the English in their instruction manuals? Below is a section of the operating manual for the vaporesso Gen-S 220w kit:

Step2: Power on the devices
1)Press the fire button for 5 times in 2s: Power on and off.
2)Continuously pressing fire button 3 times to lock and unlock the up, down and mode button.
3) Continuously pressing mode button 3 times to unlock the mode button.
4) When install a tank, it will automatic identify its coil material and resistance, press up (+) button for reset, down (-) button to use existing setting.
5) Press the fire button to start to vape. For your safety, please do not vape for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
I know the Chinese aren't the sharpest tools in the shed

Then why are you buying their products?

Maybe next time you post you stop and think about what you are about to say.
What i quoted is just plain wrong,all countries have their stereotypes,in fact right now i can come up with 10 different ones for the US of A.
Same could be said about Spain (my country) and any other country for that matter.

Here in ECF we exercise respect without prejudice to whatever country one is from...
Empathy and respect are both important words...read them,learn them,use them and love them.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    They will never do it. Just have to learn Chinglish. The Chinese simply never were interested in accommodating the people who they profit from yet in all the international business courses I took they would pound in our heads, ad nauseam, how we have to make sure we learn to accommodate the Chinese and their customs lest we offend them. I got kicked out of one of these IB courses for standing up and saying "BULL S...! It's a 2way street!!!".

I remember back in the earlier days of buying from chinese retailers. Customer service was brutal. It still isn't on par with Western CS, but it's gotten a lot better.

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    Just an FYI to the OP.

I have read labels,guides,instruction manuals,brochures,list of ingredients of foods,etc etc from about 10 different different countries in Europe with their respective different languages and all of them with their translations to English,Spanish,etc,etc and not one of them was 100% correct when it came to the translation...and i read both the ''translation'' to English AND Spanish.

So to even only assume that the bad translations only happen in China is 100% wrong.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ..., but can't they find a native English speaker somewhere in China or online and offer them say $50 dollars to clean up the English in their instruction manuals? Below is a section of the operating manual for the Vaporesso Gen-S 220w kit:

2)Continuously pressing fire button 3 times to lock and unlock the up, down and mode button.
    4) When install a tank, it will automatic identify its coil material and resistance, press up (+) button for reset, down (-) button to use existing setting.
    5) Press the fire button to start to vape. For your safety, please do not vape for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Maybe it is because I have read Dozens and Dozens of e-Cigarette manuals? Or Maybe it is because I have Years of Experience reading My Own sub-par English? But what part of those 5 Instructions Can't you Understand?

Or is this some kind of Xenophobic Slam to People who live/work in China?

Verses just a Petulant Grammar Girl Diatribe?

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    It's not like we need a manual for mods. I prefer to play with the buttons and learn for myself how a mod works.

As to customer service...

FWIW, I've had zero problems with customer service out of China. Example: Sourcemore was very professional and quickly replaced a DOA mod for me. My dealings with the people from China, Malaysia, Japan and the Philippines have all been very pleasant.

In general customer service in the states is not top shelf. Some companies certainly are excellent while others, ummm, not so good. In the states customer service is not what it used be.

Also, the customs of China were in place long before this land ever became the USofA. Learn their customs well and respect them. If you don't follow their customs you will not be doing any international business with China whatsoever. Respect, it is all about respect! Pretty dang simple really.

I know the Chinese aren't the sharpest tools in the shed
    That is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted on ECF! Shame on you.

FYI: English Levels in China: How Good is China's English?

Newsflash: China's education system is vastly superior when compared to the education systems of many other countries.

BTW, I had zero problems understanding the instructions you posted. I would not be going out on a limb in saying the greater majority here didn't either. So why did you?

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 19, 2015
    I know the Chinese aren't the sharpest tools in the shed,
    I hate to beat a dead horse but the ignorance in this post can't be over stated.
    We had a Chinese couple who moved in across the street from where I grew up.They had just come to this country with their 2 young children. My Father went out of his way to make them feel welcome.They turned out to be some of the most kind,respectful, and smartest people I have ever met.They became so close I soon referred to them as Uncle Shell and Aunt Lilly.Their 2 children Nelson and Caroline went to Yale and Harvard and both graduated at the top of the class.We still keep in touch with them to this day.Nelson is a heart surgeon.Caroline is a brain surgeon.

TigerGrizzly

Jan 13, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    I know the Chinese aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but can't they find a native English speaker somewhere in China or online and offer them say $50 dollars to clean up the English in their instruction manuals? Below is a section of the operating manual for the Vaporesso Gen-S 220w kit:

You're a member since 2012 and you still need a manual to run a mod??? You should thanks China for inventing vaping...

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    Who reads the instructions anyway?

I only use power control and avoid the advanced functions. I've been able to figure out every mod except one: A Modefined Lyra. The controls are so complicated and counter intuitive that it's at the bottom of my box and will be the last mod I ever use. I was able to figure out a Vapresso Luxe, which is a little fussy, but it is intuitive and has prompts on the screen. All the others were a piece of cake.

As for mechanical mods, I will take a peek at the instructions to see if the mfr recommends a particular battery orientation. But that's getting off topic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread