why do regulated mod users use higher resistance coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0xed

Jul 23, 2014
Santa Cruz
why do people who have regulated mods like the hana modz dna 30 and such tend to use higher resistance coils? can a hanamodz blow an equally large cloud with a higher resistance coil than a mechanical mod.

i usually vape on a mechanical with about a .3 resistance coil. i'm not trying to enter any cloud competitions or anything but i tend not to be satisfied unless i'm blowing decently big plumes. lately i've been really intrigued with the idea of regulated mods and i'm thinking about grabbing a hcigar clone of the hana modz dna30 at my local vape shop. i tried one out with my atty and .3 build and after a few hits it would tell me it was too hot so i'm thinking if i got it i would build higher resistance but then would i lose my clouds?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This is merely my own opinion and understanding, but to make more vapor one needs to heat coils at a higher wattage.

We can adjust vapor production by raising and lowering our coil resistance and by increasing or decreasing the voltage. This can be done either with a mechanical mod using sub-ohms coils, or with a high-watt DNA-type regulated mod. Typical regulated (non-DNA) mods have amp limits and protective circuitry prohibiting higher watt output. This is why sub-ohm users don't use regulated mods, by bypassing those limits by using mechanical mods without those restrictions.

Sub-ohm vaping has legitimate risks due to needing to push batteries to their safe limits to achieve all that higher wattage. Super low resistance vaping comes close to being a dead short. (0.0 ohm is a dead short.) A dead short causes a battery to go into thermal runaway and presents a danger to cause harm to the user.

High voltage/wattage with a DNA mod can get the same results using higher resistance coils as sub-ohm coils in a mechanical mod, and theoretically do it safer with less stress on the batteries.

Last edited:

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
This is merely my own opinion, but to make more vapor one needs to heat coils at a higher wattage. This can be done either with a mechanical mod using sub-ohms coils, or with a high-watt producing DNA-type regulated mod. Typical regulated mods have amp limits and protective circuitry prohibiting higher watt output. This is why sub-ohm users don't use regulated mods by bypassing those limits by using mechanical mods.

Sub-ohm vaping has legitimate risks due to needing to push batteries to their safe limits to achieve all that higher wattage. Super low resistance vaping comes close to being a hard short. (0.0 ohm is a dead short.) A dead short causes a battery to go into thermal runaway.

High voltage/wattage vaping can get the same results using higher resistance coils as sub-ohm coils in a mechanical mod, and theoretically do it safer with less stress on batteries.

There really should just be a new member forum for battery related questions called "Baditude's Battery Questions" and let him be the moderator.

rushilo

Jan 20, 2014
United States
A mechancal mod will send, no more then, 4.2v to your coils. lower resistance, given that 4.2v, will lead to greater power, which is measured in watts. When you can get the same power from a regulated mod, at a different resistance, you get different results. I tell people to focus on the voltage. When you step up past 4.2v, even to only 4.5-5v, it's a very different type of vape, that'l require different coils and resistances to compensate.

People using 50, 60, 120W boxes also need to build around the switches amp limit. Ohms law still applies, and with more than 4.2v to a coil, a 1 ohm build will be drawing more than 4.2A from it.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Long story short, with a regulated mod there's no need to go low subohm to reach a higher wattage. Long story longer, on a DNA 30 you could set it to 30w and use a 2 ohm coil (the volatge would be set to about 7.76) or a 0.6 ohm coil (the voltage would be about 4.24). The 2 ohm coil draws about 4 amps to the 0.6 ohm coil's 7 amps, meaning that the battery will last longer with the former (depending on the efficiency of the boost circuitry). On a mech you would need to have a 0.5 ohm coil to reach 30w with a battery depleted to 3.9v. With a fully charged battery your wattage would be about 35, and at 3.7v it would be 27. That's when disregarding the voltage drop caused by the resistance of the mod and the battery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

dgrill

Jun 29, 2014
dutch
the ohms you use depents also on the tank /atty you use in protank i dont want to build a sub ohm that will give me a bad taste
on my russian 91% i dont go lower then 0.7 ohms if i do i get sort of a wicking problem burned and kind off stuff
On my hercules with update kayfun kit 0.5ohms and my aqua 0.7ohm
i have a dna 30 mod i like mech more give more power .I use theSony Konion US18650VTC4 3.6V goes to 30 a max but the dna 30 max output 10 a

chipd

Jul 11, 2014
Ohio
Hi all, I am new to vaping so for me when I bought my first set up a few weeks ago the atty was 2.1 ohms a week later I bought a 1.8 ohm aspire. For me and my needs a system must closely produce a vape experience close to my cigarettes on consistent level. My system also needs to deliver a consistent performance without needing to be charged all the time. I found that the 1.8 ohm atty does well at 8 watts and the 2.1 ohm attys at 10 watts to cover my needs. If a sub ohm system can do this then that would work for me as well.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
why do people who have regulated mods like the hana modz dna 30 and such tend to use higher resistance coils? can a hanamodz blow an equally large cloud with a higher resistance coil than a mechanical mod.

There are two ways to produce vapor and flavor in an ecig.

The most obvious is to increase the power. Run lower resistance coils and high wattage through them. That's what subohming is all about, create coils that get super hot really fast and boils a lot of liquid into vapor. The problem with this method is that the conversion to vapor happens so fast that much of the flavor is lost. The vapor particles are so small that they can't carry much of the flavoring along with them.

The less obvious but the method I prefer is to make larger coils that have a lot of surface area to them. You can run the coils at a lower temperature which produces larger vapor particles which carries more flavoring. The problem with this method is it also requires a lot of power to get all of that metal heated up quickly, more power than a mech mod or even most VV/VW mods can provide.

For example....

IMG_1120.jpg

That is a 1.4 ohm coil. 30 gauge twisted wire, chimney coil build.

That is a LOT of metal to heat up in that coil. On a mech that would never produce vapor. But at 19.5 watts on a DNA30 mod it's fantastic. Big, big clouds for a Kayfun, and flavor galore.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
with the dna, it can boost up to 8.3 volts to achieve 30 watts max output. So, it take less amps to push a 1.5 ohm coil to 30 than a 0.7 ohm build. My main regulated can push a sub ohm coil at 6 volts, 16 amps max. so a 0.5 build can be pushed to 72 watts. I'll use builds ranging 0.3-0.4, so that I can get into the 90's.

But still, needs charging daily, when pushing those amps. It's nice having a dna device, sometimes a causual 30 watts, regulated, is kind of nice. Although regulated 75 watt vaping, is pretty dang fine too. All these new, high amp regulated mods, some up to 200 watts, are sub omh mods. The 200 watt unit I saw, only went up to 5 volts, but could push a build at 30 amps or something like that.

A 0.5 ohm build on a dna30, will bypass the chip and use direct voltage off the batt. Once voltage of batt drops bellow 3.9 volts, then the dna will supply that voltage to maintain 30 watts. Same thin with a 0.4, but lower volts, so better off on a mech and getting your full forty something :D And one isn't gaining anything with a 0.5 build, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread