Why no more clouds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
Hola! I've been running a Geekvape Zeus X for awhile. Loved it. But now suddenly I don't get as much vapor as I used to. I didn't change anything in my routine. Completely broke it down this morning, replaced all the o-rings, new coils, new wick. No dice. Soooo...
batteries are going?
mod is going?
Vendor switched up the VG/PG ratio?
The mod is a Geekvape Asus Legend.
Thanks for watching.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Could be as simple at time of year and/or environment. Vapor (visibility) is influenced by temperature and ambient humidity. The warmer, and the drier the air is; the faster vapor will dissipate. Air movement can also make vapor disappear faster. So, if you are comparing vapor appearance during a cold damp day without any fans or air conditioning; to a hot dry day, with the air conditioning cranked... you will get a lot less visible vapor on the hot day.

It is not that the rig is making any less vapor. It is just less visible and not lingering as long. :)

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
All right, nice choice of equipment. I use the same Legend + Zeus combo.
You can rule out the batteries. It seems unlikely that the mod would fail in such a way. New coil presumably of same type, fresh wick, so the tank is probably fine. Is there any decrease in satisfaction or is it just the vapor?

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hola! I've been running a Geekvape Zeus X for awhile. Loved it. But now suddenly I don't get as much vapor as I used to. I didn't change anything in my routine. Completely broke it down this morning, replaced all the o-rings, new coils, new wick. No dice. Soooo...
    Batteries are going?
    Mod is going?
    Thanks for watching.

Did you wake up one morning and start vaping it mtl? :blink:

;) Sorry. Has something in your juice changed? a higher pg to VG ratio would make a lot less clouds

Reactions: IDJoel

smizak

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2018
    Could be as simple at time of year and/or environment. Vapor (visibility) is influenced by temperature and ambient humidity. The warmer, and the drier the air is; the faster vapor will dissipate. Air movement can also make vapor disappear faster. So, if you are comparing vapor appearance during a cold damp day without any fans or air conditioning; to a hot dry day, with the air conditioning cranked... you will get a lot less visible vapor on the hot day.

It is not that the rig is making any less vapor. It is just less visible and not lingering as long. :)

I think you nailed it. You win the internet today. :thumb:

smizak

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2018
    All right, nice choice of equipment. I use the same Legend + Zeus combo.
    You can rule out the batteries. It seems unlikely that the mod would fail in such a way. New coil presumably of same type, fresh wick, so the tank is probably fine. Is there any decrease in satisfaction or is it just the vapor?
    Still good flavor, just jacking up my trick game. ;)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I am suspicious too. Suddenly the ratio isn't listed on their bottles.
    You might check the e-liquid manufacturer's website (not the vendor site... they could be slow to update details) and see if they note any difference to the PG/VG ratio there. If not; while you are there, you could drop them a message, inquiring. :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I think you nailed it. You win the internet today. :thumb:
    I think it’s likely. The other thing to check is the settings on the mod. They’re not too difficult to change by accident. If you suddenly switched you TC temp way down or something that could also do it.
    Which exact settings you are using could modify things a lot.

smizak

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2018
    You might check the e-liquid manufacturer's website (not the vendor site... they could be slow to update details) and see if they note any difference to the PG/VG ratio there. If not; while you are there, you could drop them a message, inquiring. :)
    They mix their own. I'm pretty friendly with the guys who run it so maybe I'll just ask next juice run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
    That doesn’t even make sense. It sounds like some sort of political dogwhistle, but it’s so strange it’s hard to tell which direction it’s aimed at.
    It was meant to be funny. I'll practice my funny posts. The government is slowly sucking the life out of vaping. Figured they may have taken the clouds too.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It was meant to be funny. I'll practice my funny posts. The government is slowly sucking the life out of vaping. Figured they may have taken the clouds too.

Ironically the “government” seems to be mostly without opinion on the subject.
    They move in accordance with public opinion, so the shaping of public opinion is the controlling entity. And since public science and fact finding has been largely destroyed, that is done lately by organizations with money.
    There are several entities attempting to destroy vaping. It’s a complicated subject. The most powerful ones are the various competitors to ecigs. Both the cigarette industry and the various smoking cessation product producers.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    the cloud chasers subheading has not had a post in a year !! i'm making a tin foil pyramid to store my mods under. it's not paranoia if it's really happening.
    I think that’s at least partially because cloud chasing became a sort of sport and wound up rather narrowly defining itself as a eater extreme and unpleasant thing. A lot of people who might have considered themselves cloud chasers simply define themselves as DL now. Cloud chasing became a 300+w pure unflavored VG for people with gigantic lungs only thing.

• Informative
    Reactions: GOMuniEsq

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Dwindling numbers of cloud chasers doesn't really surprise me for a several reasons:
    -- The vaping industry has greatly evolved. 6 years ago; one's choices were weak cig-a-likes, ego type cartos, or full on cloud-capable rtas (yes; I am being overly simplistic). Today; there is a much broader spectrum of choices.
    -- A minority of inconsiderate vapers gave vaping a black eye, by fogging up inappropriate locations indiscriminately; making it more difficult for all vapers, even the courteous ones.
    -- Conspicuous/copious cloud production further reduces the declining number of places a vaper can acceptably vape.
    -- Cloud chucking can be expensive, if one is routinely vaping premium priced e-liquids. Going through $10-$20/day is just as expensive as smoking.
    -- High liquid consumption often leads to higher demand for maintenance. Replacing batteries, replenishing liquid, replacing/rebuilding coils and wicks. Not everyone wants to contend with this... especially when there are lower-maintenance options.
    -- Trends are leaning toward smaller, more discrete devices, like single coil MTL, and pods.
    -- Convenience (portability, maintenance, battery life) are beginning to outweigh sheer cloud production. Flavor seems to be a more popular focus(?).
    -- Increased availability/popularity of high mg/mL (often 30-50mg/mL) nic salt e-liquids is not supported by cloud chasing.
    -- I see more folks commenting about feelings of heavy/congested chests, and wanting to reduce e-liquid consumption and exposure.

Don't get me wrong; I am not saying that there is anything wrong with cloud chasing, or the people who prefer it. All the more power to them.:thumb:
    I am only saying I can see why it is not as popular, for some vapers, as it once was. :)

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Dwindling numbers of cloud chasers doesn't really surprise me for a several reasons:
    -- The vaping industry has greatly evolved. 6 years ago; one's choices were weak cig-a-likes, ego type cartos, or full on cloud-capable rtas (yes; I am being overly simplistic). Today; there is a much broader spectrum of choices.
    -- A minority of inconsiderate vapers gave vaping a black eye, by fogging up inappropriate locations indiscriminately; making it more difficult for all vapers, even the courteous ones.
    -- Conspicuous/copious cloud production further reduces the declining number of places a vaper can acceptably vape.
    -- Cloud chucking can be expensive, if one is routinely vaping premium priced e-liquids. Going through $10-$20/day is just as expensive as smoking.
    -- High liquid consumption often leads to higher demand for maintenance. Replacing batteries, replenishing liquid, replacing/rebuilding coils and wicks. Not everyone wants to contend with this... especially when there are lower-maintenance options.
    -- Trends are leaning toward smaller, more discrete devices, like single coil MTL, and pods.
    -- Convenience (portability, maintenance, battery life) are beginning to outweigh sheer cloud production. Flavor seems to be a more popular focus(?).
    -- Increased availability/popularity of high mg/mL (often 30-50mg/mL) nic salt e-liquids is not supported by cloud chasing.
    -- I see more folks commenting about feelings of heavy/congested chests, and wanting to reduce e-liquid consumption and exposure.

Don't get me wrong; I am not saying that there is anything wrong with cloud chasing, or the people who prefer it. All the more power to them.:thumb:
    I am only saying I can see why it is not as popular, for some vapers, as it once was. :)

You put it perfectly. My thoughts as an 18month old mtl vaper ;) from what I've seen, newer RTAs and RDAs capable of cloud chucking, are also now producing amazing flavour, so they are being used as flavour chasers - with the clouds being a bonus.

Reactions: IDJoel

smizak

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2018
    Batteries are going?
    Mod is going?
    Thanks for watching.

Update: here's the fix. Worked a treat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread