Wich 18650 battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaliifa

May 6, 2016
I have been looking around for quality batteries and I see everyone recommending LG,SONY,SAMSUNG batteries

I have a RX200 with no batteries (it takes 3 batteries) and I was wondering wich battery is the best one to get, I heard the mod was in "series" as far as battery goes for each other so I never really understood that part with the more volts you get over mah. Still confused ahha

I usually like to vape 0.2 ohm coils in TC mode or just regular mode. But was wondering wich would be the best battery to get that I know won't blow up in my face.

I really like the lg hg2 with its 3000mah but only has a 20a continuous and that gets me scared that the amps is around 18 and 21 at 4.2 Volts... Would I still be okay? Without it blowing up? Or is the Samsung 25r better?

I read somewhere that the series mods make the voltage go around 12.6? But I never understood that with ohm calculator is it brought the watts up to 700 lol...
Please help guys I'm loosing my mind. I just wanna know will I be fine with either battery at that 0.2 ohm without any worries what so ever

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
When using a regulate mod the resistance of the coil is not a factor in determining safe amperage. You are looking at the amps that your mods board sees, when you need to be looking at the amps your battery is drawing.

It's the wattage you vape at that is the determining factor as far as safety goes.
This is the order of importance (to me) when deciding on which battery to buy.
  1. Manufacturer -- LG, Samsung or Sony for 18650
  2. CDR (amps) -- @Mooch bench test results => List of Battery Tests
  3. mAh
  4. Where I purchase
There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

Do your research before you buy. Decide what battery to buy depending upon the application that you will use them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.
image-jpeg.542520

I really like the lg hg2 with its 3000mah
Great 20A cell. However if you decide that a 20A cell works for you consider the Samsung 30Q (or another 20A cell on Mooch's list).

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I usually like to vape 0.2 ohm coils in TC mode or just regular mode. But was wondering wich would be the best battery to get that I know won't blow up in my face.

I really like the lg hg2 with its 3000mah but only has a 20a continuous and that gets me scared that the amps is around 18 and 21 at 4.2 Volts... Would I still be okay? Without it blowing up? Or is the Samsung 25r better?

#1. The Samsung 25R are also 20A continuous drain batteries. No different from the LG HG2 except less mAh.

#2. The RX200 is NOT a 4.2V mod, and that's a very important thing to remember. As you said, it has three batteries that run in a series, so it has 3 times the voltage of a single battery. The mod cuts off when the batteries drop to 3.2V each, so as a bare minimum the mod is receiving 9.6V from the batteries. The mod then steps the voltage down to your needs. This also distributes the amp load across three batteries since each battery is delivering only 1/3rd of the necessary voltage.

I wouldn't recommend pushing the mod to it's max of 250W (with the 3.2 firmware) on a 0.1ohm coil with 20A batteries, but the 50-80W you're likely to use for a .2ohm coil you're well within the safe limits of the LG HG2.

Reactions: 4lph4num3r1c

Khaliifa

May 6, 2016
Thank you guys for the replies!

For example let's say we vape at 0.2 ohms on the LG HG2 3000 mah and the batteries cutoff voltage is 2.5V

Would that mean charge them before dying completely? I know on the rx200 you can press 3 buttons for "x" ammount of seconds to check the voltage of each batteries

are they aloud to die all the way? Or charge them around the 2.5V? Cutoff

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
LG HG2s, but according to the forum they seem to be counterfeited these days. Next best thing? Samsung 30Q (pink ones).

Both batteries have a 3000mah, the 30Q is rated 15A but really fires up to 20A continuously according to forum battery expert @Mooch and the two have basically the same performance.

Reactions: Mooch

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US

For example let's say we vape at 0.2 ohms on the LG HG2 3000 mah and the batteries cutoff voltage is 2.5V

Would that mean charge them before dying completely? I know on the rx200 you can press 3 buttons for "x" ammount of seconds to check the voltage of each batteries

With the rx200, they wont get down to 2.5. It will say they are completely drained and cut you off when they are around 3.2 volts. On top of that, you never want to discharge them to 2.5 volts. Doing so can damage them.

Reactions: Baditude

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I recommend the Samsung 30Q batteries in that mod for anything up to 180-200 watts. If you want to go over that, I'd suggest LG HD2Cs or Sony VTC4s. I like, and use, the LG HG2s in mine, but there are issues just now with counterfeits, and I don't want to recommend them until we figure that out. You will find the RX will not allow your batteries to go below 3.4V or so before shutting down. They should be charged at that point, or sooner.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

The RX200 cutoff point is 3.2V. The mod will not fire at all if the voltage drops below 3.2V. This is to protect the battery.

That's the good part about regulated mods. It takes a lot of the guesswork, math, and measuring that you would normally do with a mech mod out of the equation. The mod will regulate your voltage, it will prevent you from discharging the batteries too low, it will prevent you from firing an atomizer with a short in it, it will even protect you if you put a battery in the wrong way. All you need to do is put in a set of good quality 20A or higher batteries and enjoy.

And I would highly recommend getting two sets of batteries and using a stand alone charger rather than charging through the USB port. Charging through the USB port works, but it's slow and it's not the best at evenly charging all 3 batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread