Status
Not open for further replies.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I purchased this silica rope from MSC(here) as suggested by someone else on ECF who was already working with their own attys. The material on the bottom of this image looks like what I'm looking for, am I supposed to discard the 'fluffier' material above it? It pulls apart rather easily and doesn't appear to be the type of material used.

2010-10-13_16-41-37_568.jpg

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Your link to MSC is NG.

Did you get the Silica Rope #3 or #4?

Silica Seals

Silica has the flexibility of fiberglass, plus a higher temperature rating.
(3) Round Braided— Made of 99% silica. Temperature range is -100° to +2300° F. Color is white.
(4) Square Braided— Made of 98.8% silica. The square design fits many oven and furnace door grooves and provides more sealing surface than round braided. Temperature range is -40° to +2300° F. Color is tan.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
McMaster-Carr
How does the cottony stuff work?

It's lighter and pulls apart easily. When put to flame it turns a grayish color and seems to break apart more easily. The thread on the lower part of the picture is stronger and looks light the material you posted. I'm assuming it woven into the rope for strength?

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I have made the mistake of getting Fiberglass material and that is what it looks like. The inner threading does look like the silica I have. I bought mine from McMaster-Carr as WillyB did. It should not break apart easily. I would order some from McMaster-Carr, it could be they are using a different type of silica material that is not made the same and not as strong. Just my 2 cents.
Dan

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
That stuff is Silica reinforced rope. The re-inforcing part is a thin strand of fibreglass woven with cotton like silica fluff. I am using the same stuff. I guess there could be concerns regarding silica fibres coming loose more easily from this braided rope instead of the longer strands used in the McMaster-Carr's rope. I still don't know how they manufacture those... Would be interesting to see considering where silica fibres come from.

However, when wetted with e-juice, I don't think fibres are a big concern, unless you vape the poor wick bone dry and then some more and even some more....

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
I believe this is the same rope nicotime uses. He was the person I got the site from, unless of course I bought the wrong one? :unsure:

Kry...that rope will work for some things..like I tuck a little in under the bridge of an atty...but for the strands you need the sleeve on the right of this pic.
fiberglassandsilica.jpg

Here is the link....
MSC Item Detail

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
I've been using silica in my DIY attys for awhile now and I've not been completely happy with it. I believe mine is #4 in WillyB's post. My attys work great at first but they're lasting for only a few days and I suspect the problem may be the silica - maybe, maybe not. On a whim I decided to try candle wicks. So far very good. The funny thing is that candle wicks are typically made of cotton and/or paper. You'd think they'd go up like kindling, and if you let them dry out they probably would. However, if you keep them soaked in eliquid, they hold up very well, and in my opinion produce more vapor. Silica tastes like burnt tires if you don't soak it in alcohol before using in my experience. That tells me it's treated with something bad. Call me crazy but I'm about ready to abandon silica in favor of candle wicks. Try it before you call me crazy. :) :)

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Pansy Asses...
Get some REAL Silica rope!

Bubo!!!!!!! You have lost your way my good friend........ Do you dream about e-ciggies at night? Do they haunt you perhaps?

Damn..... That is some serious wick stock you have there.... lol!

I am really interested in seeing your white candle collection in two months.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread