Wife's Mother Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I feel like I should be posting this in a smoker forum somewhere rather than in a forum full of people who have quit, but maybe this will stick in someone's head who's considering quitting. This is also meant to be a little therapeutic for me. My wife's mother just passed away. She was 62. She was a life long smoker until a few years ago when she was diagnosed with Emphysema. She went downhill quickly. Although she is married and they've had a condo in North Carolina for the past 13 years, for reasons that aren't relevant here, she lived mostly in NJ near us. During my entire marriage she was at our house three or four times a week all day and would sleep over on Saturday nights. She even lived with us for about two years a decade ago. My 18 and 11 year old daughters were very close to her because of all this. About a year ago, she decided to go through all the testing required to be put on a list to get new lungs. She went through more than even a healthy person would want to endure for those tests. She was told that if she was put on the list and if she lasted, she would hopefully get new lungs between a few months to two years after being put on it. She was finally put on the list a month ago. Three weeks ago, she had her last required shot. One day later, she got the call to go into surgery for new lungs. We couldn't believe how quick it happened and were thrilled yet scared. SHe was extremely brave. She got through surgery beautifully. The doctors said it went perfectly and they were the best lungs they'd seen in years. We were told though that there are always setbacks so we should be prepared. She was doing great though. We were told that many times. She was going to come home early in fact - last Thursday. Last Wednesday though, she had a little setback after almost two weeks of being in the hospital. No problem, but maybe she wouldn't come home the next day. That next day, the day she was suppose to come home, she died with about two hours notice. We were told that she got Sepsis, a bad infection, and may not live through the night. Less than two hours later, she was dead. Because of the new lungs, she had to be on immunosuppressants for the rest of her life so she wouldn't reject the lung. She had no immune system, and if she were taken off of the immunosuppressants to fight the Sepsis, she would die from rejecting the lungs. She was the sweetest, most selfless person I've ever known. It was way too sudden after how good she was doing. The fact that she died of an infection in the hospital and not because of her lungs made it even harder. Ultimately though, she suffered the past few years and died last week because of smoking. She is one of the many reasons why my wife and I quit 19 months ago. We buried two days ago. She leaves a father, two sisters, a husband, two sons, a daughter and two grandchildren. Make that three grandchildren. Her oldest son had his first baby yesterday.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Garnoch- My deepest sympathy for you and your family.
Life can deal out a tough hand for a lot of us, it is what we do with the cards that matters. Sounds to me that you played the hand very well. Hang in there and know that she will always be in your hearts and with you forever.
Take care-Hz

P.S.-Thank you for the post and reminder of how much love we need to show and give one another, life is short-live it with love. ((((hugs))))

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Oh Garnoch,

My heart just goes out to you and your entire family. She sounds like such a wonderful person and I know you will miss her terribly. Life is so unfair at times, but I think it's important that you posted this, for the community here as well as yourself.

Healing thoughts coming at you and yours.
N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread