Will I get more smoke (vapor) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't need to run your watts/volts that high on a lower ohm built coil because it gets hotter faster, wouldn't you still get burnt juice if you took too long of a puff? I'm just trying to get my head on straight before I spend more money chasing the dragon. Lower power settings get me low or no burnt taste but they also don't give me that great of a vapor cloud :( Tried some Bottom Dual C's and am awaiting a Kanger AeroTank hoping that fixes my wagon. I have tried the smok rda and it does give better flavor but not much better vapor production. Otherwise I am looking at a Prometheus Genesis or some other kind of customizable unit. I have some technical ability but I am not sure I am looking forward to the tedious tasks and time required to DIY. Any one?

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Not real sure since I'm fairly new to this stuff however from my understanding to this point I will offer this. Perhaps higher VG in the juice and something that will wick with it. Now most making "clouds" seem to do it on sub ohm setups with MOD. I get as much vapor from my 70/30 (PG/VG) with my Nautilus as I do my Kayfun on either of my vv vw devices.. I've also seen a difference (in some videos) where the coil positions etc makes a difference also, see RiP Trippers on You Tube.

1wildman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2014
columbus, oh
not an expert by any means and am commenting to see others reply. I have noticed that the microcoils and cotton do not tend to burn juice like it does on a standard coil with silica. I think it is a function of the increased wicking ability of the cotton to keep up with the coils.

I can get decent clouds with an RDA on a vv/vw mod. But best performance on mech - need to open the airholes all the way so it isnt too hot though.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Really, the most important factor is the coil and wick design. The first thing I would suggest, if you are unhappy with the amount of vapor you're getting, is to try a better wick (such as cotton). If the wick is working properly, you can get tons of vapor from almost any coil. Some heads definitely produce more vapor than others, but in my experience, all a good head really needs to do is supply the right amount of liquid to the coil (not too little, and not too much).

If the wick doesn't work properly, more power to the coil will just burn the juice.

Since you don't want to get too much into DIY you need to start with a good head, preferably one that you can re-wick easily (re-wicking is much easier than re-coiling) or one that you can buy quality replacement coils for.

Just my 2 cents....

kslice917

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2013
North Canton, OH, USA
I agree with twgbonehead on the re-wicking. It can save you a decent amount of money, and it ensures that you have a fresh (non-burnt) wick. But just like you, I'm not all that much into DIY'ing just yet. Also, it's worth mentioning that I just received the Kanger Aero Tank this past weekend - and I'll just say this: You should be much happier with it. This thing produces vapor like a champ, especially compared to the old tank(s) I used to use. A lot of vapor with a lot of taste and a smooth throat hit. I was getting burnt vapor on my old Viva Nova at just 4v. I'm cranked up to 5.2v on this one and the taste is still fantastic!

Well I will be hoping that the Aero Tank will be my solution, even if short term. I know that cotton is very popular and I assume that as long as it stays wet there won't be a problem. But I know cotton would burn way before the silica. Or is that an incorrect statement because the coil can't burn the Silica at all? Do any of you re-wick? Have any of you tried the BioWick out yet? I should probably go read a little more and see what is posted already on that topic. Thanks for your feedback

1wildman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2014
columbus, oh
cotton is king. Yes it will burn but you keep your wick wet. You can dry burn on silica and it will generally quit smoking when juice is gone ...it is hard but you can burn a silica wick. Nice thing about cotton is that it takes seconds to rewick the same coil. you dont have to rebuild the coil...pull the old out and thread some new in.

cotton is king. Yes it will burn but you keep your wick wet. You can dry burn on silica and it will generally quit smoking when juice is gone ...it is hard but you can burn a silica wick. Nice thing about cotton is that it takes seconds to rewick the same coil. you dont have to rebuild the coil...pull the old out and thread some new in.

So is there a gap or pressure that needs to be on the wick when in the coil or is it just a simple matter of decent contact to deliver the juice? Hopefully that's not a stupid question, thanks.

1wildman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2014
columbus, oh
Jesswee check out youtube videos... i recommend rip trippers or pbusardo as they do a really good job of showing things and they offer consistent good advice on builds. Basically you dont want too much cotton or it wont wick good. you need the to have some fluff or loft in the cotton to carry the juice. Loosely twisted is best and yes it needs to touch the coil to vaporize.

a lot of people use a ton of cotton for a "cloud" or bedding but this just soaks up juice and isnt delivered to the wick so its a waste. i put a small tail on my wicks and let it touch the bottom of the atty. Loose juice will find its way to the cotton. i drip right next to my coils so not much juice is finding its way to the bottom cup anyhow. Part of the fun is learning what works the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread