Will I never find a good juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ag-Au

Feb 17, 2016
Alright, so; I haven't tried *every* flavor imaginable, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out a bit. I haven't really been able to find a flavor I truly like. We bought quite a few that I thought were O.k, but honestly I felt rushed when buying them because of other customers, and now I've sunk money into meh flavors. It seems companies like to add their little pizazz to flavors, which is fine. So far I've only liked a straight raspberry from a small unknown company. I'm wondering if there are some high grade, simple flavors out there? I've looked around the shops in town, but again; it's always like "French raspberry" or "Blueberry acai", and nonsense like that. I'm going to stick with the one brand/flavor I like, but that can't be it for me?! It just can't. Anyone have an online dealer that's quality/tasty/simple? I'd really appreciate the input. Also, I'm quitting smoking so I've been getting around 18/24/"high" amounts of nicotine, is that messing with the flavor? I might try less next time I stop in a shop. Like the green apple I bought burns my throat real bad, and there is hardly a flavor to it. It's nic content is just "high". I checked coils/wick they aren't burnt seemingly. Anyway, sorry about the ramble and thanks for replies in advance.

TLDR:
Flavors too jazzed up, can't find straight good flavors, looking for online retailer for quality SIMPLE juices.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Can't help you with simple flavors as I'm into complex flavors.

Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Swede

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2011
Canada
Quick suggestion, try unflavored. I've tried a few flavors but really prefer the clean simplicity of a unflavored e-liquid. To top it off, I diy so it's the easiest recipe in the world.

Most flavors I've tried are too sweet or don't truly reflect the taste they're trying to emulate. Perhaps I've not tried the right one, or maybe unflavored is really the pinnacle of vapid?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I had the same problem, I think everyone does. The issue is that everyone's taste is different. And it isn't just taste, smell is very involved.

1. When I first started, my taste buds were burnt. So, simple blunt flavors worked (peppermint). After a while, other flavors could be detected. Then much later, complex flavors were detectable. Some flavors, say Lemon Pie, the Lemon will be noticeable, but the pie won't. It just takes time. For me, anyway.

2. I did follow someones suggestion here and rated the flavors that I tried. But, it needed to be after I got some taste buds back, I didn't have other tastes in my mouth, the juice was properly steeped, etc. So, I started making a spreadsheet and "rating" what I tried. I took notes, noted the PG/VG, any "extra" flavoring, steeping start date, etc.

3. To help, I got a lot of samplers that some online vendors have, I tried friends juices, and I go to vape stores to try juices.

Also, hardware gets involved. The amount of power plays a role, the topper that you are using and the wick/coil configuration, they all get involved. Even if you vape unflavored juice, the hardware is still influencing.

I equate smoking and vaping to the Movie, "The Wizard of Oz". Smoking was black and white, vaping is in color.

Best to your journey.

sos2001

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
South Carolina
When I began, I thought I had to have all the nic that could be shoved into a bottle. I cut it down to 12mg and could finally get a hint of flavor. Now, I'm down to 3mg...and my taste buds have recovered enough to really enjoy what you might call "complex" flavors.

I agree that the best bet is to get some sample packs or 10ml bottles from vendors whose flavor profiles interest you. I'm currently using 3 or 4 flavors from Blue Dot. I think you would consider their flavors as complex. But, I've found their flavor profiles to be spot on...and it's very inexpensive compared to others.

After some struggles, I now have a hobby that I enjoy, and have put down the tobacco for over a year...a minor miracle. Flavor is very, very, very subjective.:thumb:

Reactions: Ag-Au

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Hard to find good ejuice. Everyone claims theirs is the best. Sampling 30 bottles from my local B&M that was sent to them and about six jugs in and have not found a good one yet. Last round of six they got me to test 3 different flavors tasted exactly the same. Got some bottles that are totally unvapable but the company claims it is their premium juice and there biggest seller. Not sure who they sell it to but it is not me. Good luck in your search. CHEERS!

I am not a flavor chaser. If it is not in the first bottle I don't get a second bottle and try to find more flavor. LOL

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I wouldn't recommend 3 mg unflavored, for example, but 24 mg unflavored is intense, and so is any flavored juice at that level.

There's one shop with their own line of juice here, most are basic single flavors. Not really great but if you don't like them then you don't like the original flavor (not ejuice) manufacturer's work, since I'm sure that's what most of them are.

Tasting juices at a bar is hard work. I heard of one shop opening and so went immediately, to try everything before their tasting hardware got old and burnt tasting. That's one advantage of making your own -- you might not expect this, but 10 mL of flavoring costs LESS than 10 mL of ejuice usually, good to try at your own pace, and if you DO like it, you won't immediately have to buy more. I'm still impressed by the best juice makers -- maybe more so -- but as you're not it might be just the thing.

Last edited:

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    You won't find simpler or more delicious e juices than Ahlusion's Pure Apple, or Poppin Peach. Ahlusion has plenty of flavors, in case you decide you want complicated flavors at some point, but those above are very good. They have several very good fruit and cream juices also. If you want to check them out, just google, ahlusion, spelled with the h in it, and it will pop right up.

Good luck finding awesome juice!

Piak

Verified Member
    Sep 9, 2014
    Saturn
    I had the same problem as you did when I first started vaping, but I did find some "complex" flavors that I did like, even though all I wanted was a simple, straight up flavor.

The one flavor I have always had since I started vaping though is the extreme ice by MBV. It is a very clean vape, instead of reaching for a mint, I reach for this juice. I also switch to this juice for a day or 2 whenever I get vapers tongue.

Ag-Au

Feb 17, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies!!! You guys are awesome!
    Susan S- - Thanks for this info! I'm at DOUBLE nicotine levels than what I need for my old PAD habits! Yikes, that might clear up some trouble for me right there. No wonder the smell of old cigs on my coat makes me nauseous lol !

And FrenchFry I didn't even think to consider my palate is compromised!

I'm certainly not going to give up, I know there's somethign out there perfect just waiting. I might give the mix yourself a go when I have the time to browse in the shops around here. great idea Mcclintock!

and thanks JustWondering1, I'll search them! When I googled for "Simple ejuice" or just "ejuice" a select few sites popped up, none of which were fitting the bill. But I'll certainly check out Ahlushion, thanks for the tip!

and Piak, after trying some blends, a yakuza by some company, and a french raspberry, I think I may have to try some mint. I stayed away for now as I did enjoy menthols, and smooths every once and a while. Maybe the smoothness of vapes will make it easier to use long term.

Thanks again all for the wonderful replies!!!!

Reactions: Susan~S

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    You might want to try VapeBig. They're located not far from me in Central FL. Owner has a website only, no B&M, so his overhead is minimal & he can charge less for eliquids. He's very helpful, friendly, & knowledgeable on the phone when questions any of my questions when I started 2+ years ago.

I started with 1 of his sampler packs, and my favorites in it were Vanilla Bean and Cinnaroll. I gave up on the Cinnaroll, but I still always vape his Vanilla Bean and have found I also love his NanerBerry, too. Even though I'm starting DIY liquids, I may still order those 2 for awhile yet. I also know that 8 of 12 people I've either helped to totally switch to vaping, or are still in the process...swear by the Vanilla Bean and say they love it, too. He says it's by far his best seller of all his e-liquids!

Check out his website, the flavors he has, reasonable prices, etc. His S/H is very low also, to anywhere in the US.

Forgot to add this: When choosing the PG/VG ratio for a liquid...his dropdown box only shows a few variations. Pick maybe 50/50, but then in the Order Notes box...let him know exactly whatever ratio you want it mixed. He makes his own eliquids so he can do exactly what you want. He'll also do free "flavor boost" for you if you request that in the same Order Notes section.

empteeteacup

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    @Ag-Au I'm also a complex vape person myself, but I've come across this juice a couple of times:

NKTR

Looks like they're simple, one flavour, fruit juices. I think The Vapor Trail Channel guy (Tony) has reviewed the guava one in one of his videos. He works a lot of his juice reviews into his gear review videos, but I can't for the life of me remember which one he reviewed NKTR in. Hope this helps!

rico942

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    24 mg = 40 cigarettes

That's exactly right by my experience. Formerly a two pack a day smoker, now settled in comfortably with 24mg juices ... :thumbs:

Probably tried at least 20 different vendors until I found Halo. A menthol sample pack introduced me to two flavors I liked immediately, SubZero and Malibu ...

That's all I vape now, all day every day ... :vapor:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Susan~S

Lannie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2015
    The windy plains of South Dakota
    Another vendor I like for good, simple flavors and not too much money is VapeMoar. They have a good deal on their sample pack, and you can try each of their 10 flavors that way, then buy bigger bottles of any of them you like. I make my own juice now, but there are several flavors VapeMoar makes that I truly LOVE, and they're relatively cheap, so when I want some of those, it won't break the bank. :)

I think it's also true that higher nic levels destroy the flavors. It did in my case. I went to lower resistance coils (sub-ohming) and my nic requirement dropped drastically, and now I can taste FLAVORS without that harsh peppery nic overtone. I know some people say there are totally flavorless nic brands, but I've never encountered one. I can taste the nicotine in all of them. Also, your tastebuds will take some time to recover, too, so there are a lot of factors involved right now for you. It will pass, though, if you can just get through the "adjustment phase." :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread