Wismec Reuleaux w/ TFV12Prince

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnB85

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Savannah, GA
Something very weird happened to me yesterday. As the title says, I use a Reuleaux Gen 2 dual 18650 with a TFV12 Prince tank on it when I'm at home. Now normally this mod sits for 18 hours or so without being touched due to work and whatnot. I pick it up yesterday to have a vape and get the first drag, no issues. Second drag it's like the fire button stuck with the wattage on max or on bypass (I don't believe it has bypass). I figure it's a fluke or something random and have a 3rd drag...it's like fire and tastes exactly like bypass mode. The mod continues to fire so I run outside while unscrewing the tank and getting ready to chuck the mod in the yard. After I unscrew it everything stops. Obviously the coil is burnt to crap, which was the strip coil if that matters. I take my RDA and put it on top of the Reuleaux and hit it for a good 10 puffs, zero issue. I take a look at the batteries and one of the positive posts is slightly brown and the other looks fine.

So I purchased the batteries from liionwholesale or something close to that, it's a reputable company I found on this forum. Batteries were Sony VTC5A's I believe (too many batteries to keep track of). Wattage was 70w on the strip coil which is .15. The brown battery is now in a box to send to BestBuy for recycling when I get around to going into town.

Is it safe to keep using the mod or should I trash that too? Is it possible for a battery to short in a regulated mod and fire just like the mod was in bypass when I'm positive it was not since I do not use that mode on any of my devices? Could the coil have shorted out and caused issues because it was oversaturated by sitting around too much? Lastly, has this happened to anyone before?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
More likely the delivery device leaked into the 510 connection then down into the power device circuitry causing a problem and or leaking into the fire button area causing it to stick.

If it is changing modes by itself, time to replace it.

Brown battery? did it overheat & melt/burn the battery wrap? or were you using 2 different cells?
Only use matched & married sets in multi cell power devices.

ShawnB85

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Savannah, GA
Correction it's a Gen 3...if that matters at all. I am also all for getting rid of it, just wanted to understand what happened better so I could avoid it if possible. I just checked the manual on their website, it does not even have bypass mode available. That is exactly what it felt like from when I used my SMOK Alien on bypass with the RDA once.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Theoretically, a regulated mod should have an automatic cutoff between 10 - 15 seconds in case the fire button is accidentally compressed. But, all electronic circuits can fail.

Like Top Water Elvis said, it sounds like some e-liquid leaked into the mod from the 510 center pin, maybe got on the circuit board, and which allowed it to malfunction. I personally would retire that mod for good.

ShawnB85

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Savannah, GA
So to update everyone. I put the Sony VTC5 battery in my "take to Best Buy for recycling" case and gave the other to my girlfriend who uses single 18650 mods. Tank is now on another mod after changing the coil and doing a good inspection of the bottom connection. Wismec mod is in the trash because I no longer trust it. Strangely I still have the 3 18650 mod that I'm not a little scared to mess with.

Basically Li-Ion batteries are nothing to mess with and this experience was not cool so I would rather get rid of some equipment than to injure myself or others due to me trying to save a bit of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread