The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wizard Labs Warning: Typing wizardlabs.com instead of wizardlabs.us can put your computer at risk

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by catlady60, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. catlady60

catlady60 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2013
    Nazareth, PA
    I accidentally typed wizardlabs. com instead of wizardlabs.us by mistake. I guess I forgot the actual URL because I didn't bother to bookmark the page.

When I typed wizardlabs . com, the browser redirected me to some strange malware site that showed up a dialog which read something like "Your browser is in need of updates. Click OK to update." Needless to say, I closed the page instead of "updating" (read: allow malware to be installed on) my computer.

2. centurian1

centurian1 Full Member

Aug 16, 2014
    London
    Thanks for the heads up. Never been to the site but it's good to be aware.

3. sonicdsl

sonicdsl Admin
    Reviewers Mgr
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Checked the whois and they are privately registered. Since the domain is registered through Go Daddy, I contacted them and reported the information. Hopefully they will take action. :)

4. rondasherrill

rondasherrill Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2012
    Valhalla
    It is now redirecting to www . aquacig . com.

EDIT: Actually, it appears to be some backend scripting that redirects to a random e-cig vendor each time. The second time I checked it went to heavensgifts . com

5. Mr.BellowFellow

Mr.BellowFellow Senior Member ECF Veteran

I just got to Wizard Labs not prob, site is working fine. I think you may have had your browser hijacked, its happened to me before, total PITA! Do you only get redirected when you try to go to Wizard Labs or does it happen with google searches to? If you did get hijacked then get that .... cleaned ASAP & DON'T use your credit card, paypal or log into your bank account. Once you clean the infection install a program like Browser Protect, prevents your browser from being hijacked, been using it for a while & never had a problem: (Browser Hijack Protection for free - BrowserProtect.org)

6. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    At the time the post was made, Wizard Labs only had the .us domain. They've since acquired the .com domain as well.

7. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I usually use the search bar w/Googy, then click on whatever is at the top, lol.

I've been a Lucky Schmucky.

8. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Yeah, everytime I just type "wizard" my browser pops up a bunch of the links I've been to already, for wizardlabs. I didn't even realize they used a .us domain!

Andria

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.