Wood Purpleheart MOD Evercool Ckt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
This is my first mod so please be kind. The circuit is Big Blu's evercool, it's a TI stepping regulator. Using 2 18650 batteries with a externally mounted potentiometer. I should have room inside the box for a digital voltage display to be added later. Not quite complete yet but here it is as of today. GEDC0019.jpg GEDC0021.jpg GEDC0022.jpg GEDC0023.jpg GEDC0025.jpg

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
The switch is stainless steel 5 amp clicky type. I have chrome knobs on order for the potentiometer. Very tough to get good pictures of a dark wood but in person it looks much nicer. Thanks to Big Blu for his awesome tutorial on the evercool circuit or this would just be another boring box mod. I plan on making more with a onboard usb charger but am limited on that to a single battery. The next one may be a dna board. Soo many parts to order!

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
I sure hope so RobertT. I'm hoping for several days of vaping between charges as it hold a pair of 18650's. Being my first mod I'm keeping it simple. I want to make another more complex one using a more exotic wood, DNA board with on board USB charger. For now I will finish this one and test it. I hope to post more detailed pictures and the finished product within a day or two. I have family coming to visit so that may not be possible. Thanks for the kind words.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
Nicely done. Beautiful wood design.. can't go wrong w/ Big Blue's evercool. I have a few myself and they perform fantastic.

Thanks Breaktru means a lot coming from you. Can't work on it today as family is here visiting. It's nearly done too. Im trying to keep it neat but tons of wiring inside. I will post pictures of it complete and even show the inside.

bigblue30

ECF Veteran

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
Figured out my problem. I had this circuit working great on the bench. When I went to install it in the wooden box it stopped working, only giving my .592 volts output. I had ordered 500 ohm potentiometers 1/2 watt so I could have a nice external knob to adjust voltage. The pots I got went from 20 ohms to 400 then hit a dead spot and then jumped to K ohms!! They would not let my circuit function. So back to ordering more parts. Cant really post a update with the board hanging by the wires , no point in cramming it in the box just to remove it to change out the pot later. Next time I will check the value before banging my head against the wall reading, rereading and studying data sheets..measuring ohms, volts etc etc. Anyways won't be ordering from that supplier again.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Fugly! jk, u said to be kind :)

It's really nice, no need to be so humble! Just wondering about the long wires, are the batteries on the top of the mod and electronics on the bottom? In terms of the connector being the top that is. It's best if the batteries are at the bottom so it isnt top heavy and falls over. Forgive me if I'm looking at it wrong :)

Also, be sure to check and recheck the pinout before putting another new pot on there and make sure the other side of the pot is going to the negative (or ground). I've made the mistake of accidentally connecting it to the positive and will burn the potentiometer. If you wanna save some space on the next one you do, grab a kemet 100uf tantalum capacitor - a lot smaller footprint than electrolytics (also a good brand). I've just put one on the battery side, scratched the output and still had good results. It's all on preference. Really nice job so far tho, everything looks very neat and beautiful box.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
The wires are long because I wire things for a living and its out of habit. Wires being too short to work with is a big no no in what I normally do. The batteries go in the bottom,I just havnt installed everything in the pictures yet. I used the electrolytic caps because I have a bag of 100 of them already from a previous project. The only thing this mod could use is a nice LED voltage display. I found a 500 ohm pot mixed in with the 500k ohm lot I bought and got it working. I was sent 500 k ohm pots instead of the 500 ohm ones I ordered. I ordered tiny 10mm knobs (chrome) for the pot shaft but they also havnt come in yet. So I took a piece of 1/2 scrap purpleheart and turned a knob using my drill press as a lathe. I sanded it close to round first on a belt sander. Then shaped it further with a coarse file and sandpaper. Center drilling without a lathe is fun,I made 3 knobs only one turned out good.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
GEDC0054.jpg Here is what I mentioned earlier. I needed a small knob for the potentiometer and the ones I ordered aren't here yet. So I took a piece of scrap and made it 1/2" square and slightly rounded the edges so I could chuck it in my drill press. I then used a coarse file to make it round and finished shaping it with sandpaper. Then I drilled it to fit the potentiometer shaft snug.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/937D-Soldering-Station-SMD-Japan-Heater-Iron-Welding-ESD-Welder-Digital-Tool-/300753343504?forcev4exp=true#ht_2014wt_1398 Just ordered one of these. I like the 60 watts, digital ESD safe and fair price. I have a old analog 40 watter now and its getting hard to find new tips. It's not a weller but its 50.00 shipped and has the features I want. Should make mod building more enjoyable in the future. I have a few more mods planned but I am also waiting on parts. I will be making another evercool based mod and a couple with the 04050c booster board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread