Work in Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
Spent the better part of 2-3 hours on this tonight and I had everything working (except for the LED), but just a few minutes ago the negative wire came loose when I was sliding the cover back on.:facepalm: I spent over an hour just trying to get the negative wire soldered on, for some reason it just didn't want to stay. But, when I had it on, it was vaping good.:vapor:

The case cracked just a tad when I was drilling the hole for the atty connector, so that is why there is a dab of epoxy near the atty. Not sure what I did wrong with the LED, but that is a problem for another day. Tomorrows mission is getting the negative wire secured. Once that is secured good, then I'll worry about the LED.

32054_1401777079520_1085114367_31077070_5660432_n.jpg

32054_1401777159522_1085114367_31077071_3736732_n.jpg

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
Looks good! 14500s are great batteries & I like that box size.
Have you got the long leg of the LED connected to the resistor? If not, that's an easy fix.

Dang, I may have it reversed. I had trimmed one of the LED legs down a bit. Guess that brings me to another question: How do you de-solder things? :ohmy:

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
I was gonna fix it all up tonight. Came home for lunch and stared at it while I ate lunch, just contemplating the right layout for the wires and stuff. Got home, ate dinner and fixed a nice stiff drink, plugged up the soldering iron, sat down and trimmed things up and layed them out how I wanted them, then went to solder them and :facepalm: realized that I didn't tin the soldering iron when I was done with it last and now I can't get the tip to heat up hot enough. Out of desperation and stupidation (made that word up) I took my pocket knife out to just lightly scrape the tip and that still didn't work. Not sure what else to do right now, cause I don't have any steel wool here, so guess I'll have to wait.

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
It does when the resistor is connected to the switch.

What role exactly does the resistor play? What would happen if I just connected the LED up without it?

Did you test the led on your 14500 before you began your mod just to see if it was working? mass produced parts tend to create some DOA's..

I didn't test it, guess I got into to much of a rush with it. Either way, I got a whole nother set to make another box mod, which I'll work a bit slower and smarter with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread