Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
VP4 because it uses an external power supply and shows the voltage of each cell in real time.

The VC4 is USB-powered, which is marginal for a 4-cell charger.

the XP4 has no display.

However, I can't vouch for how good a fit 21700s are in any of them 'cause I use 18650s exclusively.

Personally, I would buy two VP2s instead of a single VP4. This gets you the ability to charge all four cells at 1A, and if one charger or power supply fails, you still have a working charger. That said, I own a bunch of VP1s and VP2s, all 3-4 years old now, and I've never had a failure.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just wondering why the USB makes it marginal, if the VC and VP will charge at the same rates?
I honestly don't know the answer. You might tag Mooch about this.

I seem to recall him saying something in one of his online Live Stream Q&A vlogs that he didn't much like something about USB charging. Sorry, I'm not about to re-watch over 4 hours of video to find that for you. ;)

Battery Mooch Videos

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Just wondering why the USB makes it marginal, if the VC and VP will charge at the same rates?
Too many USB power sources out there that can't deliver the power required to charge at those rates (you need a full 2.1A). It's too temping to plug it into any old USB power source, and there are many of them that can only deliver 0.5A safely. Do you really trust both the charger and some generic USB power source to handle this gracefully?

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Too many USB power sources out there that can't deliver the power required to charge at those rates (you need a full 2.1A). It's too temping to plug it into any old USB power source, and there are many of them that can only deliver 0.5A safely. Do you really trust both the charger and some generic USB power source to handle this gracefully?
    Understand.
    When I bought the VC4, I bought their 2.1A charger along with it.
    It's been working great for 4 years. Just didn't know if I was missing something by not going with a non-usb device.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread