Xtar WP6 II questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitorj

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
All the talk of battery safety lately got me back into the habit of metering my batts as they came off the charger. I noticed that my old trusty Trustfire TR-001 is charging my batts up to 4.25V. Now unless I am mistaken that is too high. I decided that it was time for an upgrade, so I did a little research and settled on the xtar MP6 II. For the price, the features seemed unbeatable.

I got it today and put in one of my AW IMR 18650 2000mAh that I had purchased recently from SuperT. Just to check, the starting voltage on the cell was 3.7V. I know it didn't really need to be charged yet, but it wont hurt to charge it early and it was my only cell that needed charging. As soon as it went green, I pulled out the cell to check end voltage and it is reading 4.28V! WTF!?! I checked it again 20 min later and it was still reading 4.28V.

What is the max safe voltage that a cell should be charged to keeping cell longevity in mind? I thought it should be closer to 4.2v.

Is 4.28V standard for the xtar? Am I just being too picky?

The way I understand it is that 4.3v and above is dangerous where above 4.2V and below 4.3V reduced the life span of the cell. Please let me know if I am wrong here.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It actually varies by battery type and brand too (regardless of charger brand). Even in the same charger you'll see the IMR's charge to a different voltage then say your AW Protected batteries. Most chargers i sell have a spec of 4.2 +/- 1 or 2 percent max. I'll test a few for you if you'd like on one of my Xtars, i've never checked their voltage coming off that charger.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Quote = inquisitorj
The way I understand it is that 4.3v and above is dangerous where above 4.2V and below 4.3V reduced the life span of the cell. Please let me know if I am wrong here.

I would agree with this, they are made to charge to 4.2x not above and shouldn't be charged above from everything I know about them and have read from the specs.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
From lighthound.com (imr 18650 1600mah):

Attention : These IMR cells have much lower internal resistance than regular LiIon 3.7V cells and they may end up with a higher ending voltage when charged in certain chargers ( especially older version WF-139 charger ). Please check the voltage of them right out of the charger to see if they are above 4.20V when fully charged with your charger. Overcharging above 4.25V may shorten life/cycles. Above 4.50V may even pop them or making them leak. DO NOT use the charger if it seems to overcharge IMR cells.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
And from another vendor's site:

AW IMR18650 2000mAh Battery Specifications:
Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 2000mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 2A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 10A
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

NOTE:These IMR cells have much lower internal resistance than regular LiIon 3.7V cells and they may end up with a higher ending voltage when charged in certain chargers ( especially older versions of the WF-139 charger ). Please check the voltage of your 18650 IMR battery right out of the charger to see if they are above 4.20V when fully charged with your charger. You can do this with a Multimeter Overcharging above 4.25V may shorten life/cycles. Above 4.50V may even damage them. DO NOT use the charger if it is overcharging IMR cells.

Other Caution Notes:
- Do not over-discharge/overcharge
- Recharge empty batteries ( resting voltage ~3.6V ) as soon as possible. Leaving Li-Ion batteries in discharged state will incur irreversible damage ( capacity / cycle loss )
- Do not short circuit ( will release tremendous current )
- Do not dispose of in fire.
We do not recommend unprotected batteries, use at your own risk. If used in our devices using our Hot Spring, if there is a short the spring will collapse. Do not Use adapters with these batteries.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
If one wants it to go only to 4.19 approximately, then i'd recommend the PILA. All the WF 188, Tr001, WF138A,B, XTARS, WF139, etc all spec at 4.2 +/-1% so you'll see them on either side of 4.2, its the reality of the more inexpensive chinese chargers. I wish we had the ability to make our own brand of chargers in house :)

That being said, 4.28 seems on the high side when the specs are 4.2 +/- 1%, so i can test that out and exchange it for you.

Last edited:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
If one wants it to go only to 4.19 approximately, then i'd recommend the PILA. All the WF 188, Tr001, WF138A,B, XTARS, WF139, etc all spec at 4.2 +/-1% so you'll see them on either side of 4.2, its the reality of the more inexpensive chinese chargers. I wish we had the ability to make our own brand of chargers in house :)

That being said, 4.28 seems on the high side when the specs are 4.2 +/- 1%, so i can test that out and exchange it for you.

Got to agree with David.. I bought a Pila from SuperT about a year ago when he first started carrying them...... Its the best charger I have ever owned. Batteries allways come off at 4.19---4.2 volts. Even AW IMRs............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread