Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Being still pretty new at this but having reached that awkward stage of being bounced outta being able to start threads in "New Members" but still blundering my way around, I got a few Boge cartomizers and one smallish bottle of juice that seemed promising. Like a good boy, I go to the YouTube to learn more about filling your own. And it's all "condoms" and ".... plugs" and something about somebody from ECF who's gonna spin my what?

Freaks! Perverts!!!

No wonder I feel like I'm home. :D

In the mean time, the "condom" method is messy and wasteful as all get out but fast and effective. I tried dripping the liquid and the time it takes for the stuff to soak in... I've had more exciting times watching grass grow or paint dry. :) And I am not a patient man. Never have been. On YouTube, about the time I got to the Taryn spin, I knew this particular approach was not going to work for me. Not for long. Though, right now, I have a nice blueberry liquid and I'm willing to put up with the mess and stuff until my Joye 510-T gets here (and hopefully brings much joy). In the mean time, I'm making a real mess and wasting e-liquid and... sigh.

First attempt was okay. Second was great. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to replicate attempt two consistently since. Bounce between okay and good. At least bad is rare. Yes, me want tank. Soon. Fortunately, Cignot is riding to my rescue. It should be here shortly (could even be today since I sprung for Priority).

I swear, though, the jargon. The video where the guy talked about the ".... plug", I liked to laughed myself right outta my chair.

You realize, this is just asking for trouble. I have a very warped sense of humor and am known for being able to turn just about anything into sexual innuendo. I can read the word "the" and make it sound like something that'll get banned in every state. Twice. Maybe three times each.

So if I lose control, ya brought it on yourselves!

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
Har! You've discovered why I found a bottom-feeder attractive - I could use cartos and not have to putz with filling them. I've long since ditched the cartos for RBA's, but am still using my REO Grand well over 2 years later.

I agree 100%. I use Vmods from Vapage which are bottom feeders. No messing around with condoms, .... plugs ( lol ) , spinning, leaking, etc,etc. Vmods are so simple. Fill up a bottle with juice, screw in on the device, put 6 drops into the silo cart and your ready to vape with no more messing around. Its hassle and leak free!

Vapage is having a sale on the XL Vmod until Monday $74. Discount code# SA513

Last edited:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Oh hey now, I keep my perverted side at Fetlife... and here you are talking about Blueberries...

You eventually learn what methods work for you. I stopped using the condom (o_O) method a few weeks ago.. just shove a needle (sic) up the .. end of the carto and partially fill there.. drip heavy through the top, give it a few flicks (oh oh) and off we go. Doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me!

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Those look interesting. But, also, currently outta my price range. Which for the immediate future is: "How much change is in the sofa?" :)

I took a nasty hit recently. I had this great working relationship with a university in Spain. But they're in worse shape economically than we are. And budget cuts finally hit so hard, that work dried up and blew away. It's agonna be a bumpy ride for I dunno how long.

Though I see there's DIY. And I do like to tinker. But don't know enough about the ins and outs of the whole world of vaping just yet. In time though...

RVLT

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2013
NY
In the mean time, the "condom" method is messy and wasteful as all get out but fast and effective. I tried dripping the liquid and the time it takes for the stuff to soak in... I've had more exciting times watching grass grow or paint dry. :) And I am not a patient man. Never have been. On YouTube, about the time I got to the Taryn spin, I knew this particular approach was not going to work for me. Not for long. Though, right now, I have a nice blueberry liquid and I'm willing to put up with the mess and stuff until my Joye 510-T gets here (and hopefully brings much joy). In the mean time, I'm making a real mess and wasting e-liquid and... sigh.
The Taryn spin sucks for filling but if you ever get a bad carto, the taryn spin works great to salvage that juice that you put into the carto.
I just put a condom on the end of the carto, not all the way, leave some room so juice can fill the carto, tape it so it doesn't fly off, spin it and the juice from the carto goes into the condom, fill a new carto with that condom. You may have to do it a couple times till no more juice comes out(That's what she said lol). Money/juice saved!!!

A DCT may be great for you, fill the carto once and every fill after that is easy.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Go to your local farm store and pick up a syringe and a couple larger gauge needles. The coil in a carto is at the bottom so filling from the bottom of the carto up makes sense and a syringe is the easiest way to do so.

That is the way I do it, at least for the first fill, sometimes I just drip in the carto when adding juice.

I am within about 12 miles of Fort Wayne, good to see another Hoosier.

bilbobaggins30

Vapin' Hobbit
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
The Shire
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: cleaning up

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
  • Deleted by classwife

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
  • Deleted by classwife

HK-47

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Arizona
  • Deleted by classwife

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
I'd never heard of the Taryn spin until now, so I had to hit Youtube. Cool method. I'm going to have to figure out a way to crank it up a bit, maybe something firearm-related.

@mkbilbo: I think I found your condom and ....-plug video. The one about filling cartos, anyway. LOL

lol the taryn spin is ridiculous imo
but hey if it works xD

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
Well, for the record I've syringed and condomed and I hate those techniques - I am an absolute Taryn spin devotee for filling cartos. Not all of the youtubers do it well. Use a (snug) lanyard, that's essential, and drip, spin and refill numerous times - until no more is absorbred. That way you can really pack the juice in uniformly - I get MUCH more juice into a carto that way than with other methods. Takes less than 2 minutes (been doing it for years and can do it one-handed while driving) and lasts a LONG time. I just drip to keep things moist.
And it looks ridiculous, I know. But hey.
I actually think tanks are a hassle and don't improve the taste, and though I sometimes use my Vivi Novas (and my bottom feeder and etc.), when all's said and done I like cartos best. Haven't burned one for ages - they have improved. Such a luddite I am.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Such a luddite I am.

Eh. I say what works, works.

I liked the flavor and "kick" of the nicotine (something lacking in the Blahs... um... Blu) when I got the carto right that one time. But I just dunno I'm patient enough to learn to do it right consistently...

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
Mkbilbo,

Okay potentially rude jokes aside.

I find that the condom method is good for the first filling of a carto, I happen to like using boge low resistance ones on my thicker juices (and I don't have a tank yet). After that I use an eye dropper with my juice to top off.

One method that I've developed through trial and error to avoid wasting juice and making a mess is as follows:

I remove the dropper cap off the juice bottle (it will come right off with most plastic bottles and I think most glass juice bottle come with a eye dropper) and fill an eye dropper and then place the cartomizer over the juice bottle as I'm filling so if I have any over flow the juice goes back into the bottle from wince it came.

I always fill cartomizers over a pad made of a couple of rags or kitchen towels that I'm not particularly worried about runing (I also have a paper towel for blotting).

After the cartomizer is filled, I carefully blot the battery connection point until I'm no longer getting any more excess juice.

I've found that I've reduced the wastage using an eye dropper instead.

When using the condom method I also use my eye dropper to suck out any excess juice in the condom left over from filling the cartomizer.

Over all this has substantially reduced my juice wastage (which I'm particularly conscious about because I'm a tight wad). Though I have notieced that I still occasionally have a drop of juice or two on the battery connection after vaping on a freshly filled carto if I hold my PV virtically or store it vertically (which I tend to do). That said my only real advice to you about filling cartomizers, because my understanding is that if you're using a carto-tank system you will have to "prime" your cartomizer before vaping (because otherwise you'll be burning up wicking filler and that tastes yucky).

Over all what you will need to do is play around with the various methods and figure out which works best for you--I did. That said as far as the condom method goes I would suggest watching PBusardo's video on the condom method if you have not already.

A PBusardo Tutorial : Filling Boge 510 Cartomizers - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread