Not open for further replies.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I just noticed something interesting.

Background: I have 4 AW IMR 14500's I've been using since early May. I generally swap them out when they drop to around 3.9v. Each time I recharge them, I meter them. When I first got them, they metered at around 4.1 to 4.2 just off the charger. At first, I was getting about 2-2.5 hours before I had to swap them out. Lately I've been getting barely 1.5-2.0 hours before they need a charge.

What I've noticed: I just got 5 brand new AW IMR 18500's and they all come off the charger at 4.1-4.2v.

(Note: Always charged on a Pila, never vaped below 3.7, and rarely that low.)

Now, I believe the 14500's are aging (gracefully), but what I'm wondering is, in addition to the slow decline in "charge life", are the meter readings *also* telling me that they are aging, or is this just coincidence?

Mvgratz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2011
Alabama
I just noticed something interesting.

Background: I have 4 AW IMR 14500's I've been using since early May. I generally swap them out when they drop to around 3.9v. Each time I recharge them, I meter them. When I first got them, they metered at around 4.1 to 4.2 just off the charger. At first, I was getting about 2-2.5 hours before I had to swap them out. Lately I've been getting barely 1.5-2.0 hours before they need a charge.

What I've noticed: I just got 5 brand new AW IMR 18500's and they all come off the charger at 4.1-4.2v.

(Note: Always charged on a Pila, never vaped below 3.7, and rarely that low.)

Now, I believe the 14500's are aging (gracefully), but what I'm wondering is, in addition to the slow decline in "charge life", are the meter readings *also* telling me that they are aging, or is this just coincidence?

Have you still been checking them with the meter "latley". I'm wondering if your getting "conditioned" to that fresh batt vape and swapping them earlier "in time" but is it at the same point in discharge as they were before?

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Well, I'm noticing the vapor/flavor drop off sooner, by about half an hour to 45 minutes. It's *possible* I'm being more picky, but I don't really think so. And my understanding is that expected life is around 6 months (I could be off by several years on that :) ), so I'm thinking that a bit of dropoff at 3 months would be expected. I'm just curious if the just-off-charger voltage can be used to actually quantify the gradual decline in the battery performance.

ETA: and yes, they're pretty consistently at 3.9 ± .1

ETA2: I just checked the 18650's after 7 hours and am only down to 3.99, so that's better than I'd expect just based on the difference in mah (600 vs 1600)

Last edited:

Mvgratz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2011
Alabama
I understand exactly what your saying. The only way to be sure of the answer is to check a few of the batts when you "feel" they have dropped of and record the readings. I did that when I first got my reo. I went from thinking I needed a fresh batt at 3.8v back in Feb to 3.9v in May to 4.0v now.... Makes me want a VV reo really bad! My ideal vape is a tad higher that a fresh 3.7v batt. I love 4.4-4.6v's and if I could maintain that voltage level I'd be a very happy camper with my 2Ω 306's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread