Status
Not open for further replies.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
It occurs to me that it would be really cool if I could buy something shaped like an inline fuse (like the vape Safes) but which warned me if my batteries were low.

Maybe it could have a miniature beeper in, and beep every so often. Or maybe it could cut the power intermittently - like a Morse code signal, where your atomiser cuts out in a recognisable pattern for a split second, once every ten pulls or something.

You could dial it to different voltages with a screwdriver. Bonus points if you could get a version with a fuse built in as well.

I know nothing about electronics, but naively it sounds like it could be done...

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
The kick fixes the voltage, and loses efficiency and maximum possible output in the process (as far as I understand - as I said, I know basically nothing about electronics).

I guess I'm talking about a half-kick. A small nudge with the foot, if you will... :D

-edit: I've reread my original post, and see I worded things unfortunately. When I say 'dial it to different voltages', I mean as in a voltage before the warning goes off. I'd like it to let the voltage through unregulated, but just let me know when the battery hits a specified point.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Well, adding circuitry like a kick or a shunt to a mech is cool. If you go the next step with the shunt and make it switch on/off really fast using a comparitor combined with a charge pump and/or inductor...you'll have a vv booster...like the kick. Add more smarts....and your $100.00 mech mod + extra $50.00 in electronics and you could compete with a $20.00 regulated mod!

;)

I love it. And danged if that "mech" mod doesn't make a great VV or VW APV....

P.S.
Fuses don't count in the sarcasm...they are a good idea in a mech for sure.
I'll just never understand mech fans, I guess. Sigh.

/Sarcasm

And I'm just joking. I think the "auto cut off" thing is a good idea.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
I can see why people like the purism and simplicity of mechs, don't get me wrong.

But a little device that allowed the full voltage through (nominally - obviously you'll get losses with any extra part) but saved your IMRs from an early grave seems like it could be useful. I guess experience with the batteries makes it much easier to spot when they're low, but for beginners it's a bit of a shot in the dark sometimes.

Jjshbetz11

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Ohio
Mech's draw and romance is the simplicity of them. Not hard to run a battery with lv protection. Lets just keep a mech what it is, simple. Maybe they shouldn't be the beginners choice. I didn't start vaping with a green then a week later jump into mechs. Nobody gets their drivers license and gets thrown into a super car...

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
It occurs to me that it would be really cool if I could buy something shaped like an inline fuse (like the Vape Safes) but which warned me if my batteries were low.

Maybe it could have a miniature beeper in, and beep every so often. Or maybe it could cut the power intermittently - like a Morse code signal, where your atomiser cuts out in a recognisable pattern for a split second, once every ten pulls or something.

You could dial it to different voltages with a screwdriver. Bonus points if you could get a version with a fuse built in as well.

I know nothing about electronics, but naively it sounds like it could be done...
Can you not tell when the battery is low based on the vape?
The problem with any added devices (at least for me) in a mech would be that they would increase the overall resistance which in turn would lower the power of the vape. Now they may only increase the resistance by a tiny amount but I don't need it so why add it?

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Jjshbetz11: I think there's room for people to appreciate mechs for different reasons, no?

It's good to be able to get a cheap and well built device with no built in electronics subject to failure. To be able to add in a useful part of those electronics as a module, so you can replace it if it fails, while still having the advantages of IMR and unregulated full battery output, sounds like a win.

If you don't want one, you wouldn't have to use it... ;)

John_: You can, but it's imprecise. IMRs last longer if you recharge them as often as practically possible rather than deep cycling, so I try to switch them above 3.7, or even 3.8. It's easy enough to miss that if you aren't paying attention.

I understand it's very easy to miss that if you're trying to build an atomiser too - though personally I'd never build an atomiser on a mech.

ETA - just saw your edit. I see your point, and expense is another consideration too. But it seems intuitively like it could be pretty simple, and perhaps not introduce much of a loss. I don't know, as I said, I know *nothing* about electronics...

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
...There was supposed to be one by VapeSafe that gave an audible beep when low but I have not seen it.

I wonder whether it was adjustable... I doubt it. Still, good to know people are developing along these lines.

While we're at it, another thing that would be nice would be an adjustable cut-off for firing, so you can set a certain number of seconds to allow current through.

00gt1

VapeMeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Common guys give the op a break it was just a question. I can buy a Ferrari and drive it as fast as I can and sure it cool but I would still always wear my seat belt. You can't knock a guy for wanting to be safe. A little reminder here and there never hurts even for the best of us... I for one am newer to mechs and while yes it is possible to tell by the vape... Wouldn't be against hearing a little beep or something to gently remind me. As to why not just get a vv/vw device? Mechs a generally much purdier! If they made a vv/vw that looked like a maracas, an m16, or a chi you I'd be all over it. We all use different mods for different reasons and answering this guy's question by telling him he doesn't need one kinda defeats the purpose of asking. Btw if you ever do make that up, sign me up for a few! I'm game. *dons flame suit*

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Common guys give the op a break it was just a question...

They're entitled to their opinion, and I have no objection to them expressing it politely (which they have).

I also agree with John_ that increased resistance in the circuit might be an issue, but from what vicflo has said, it sounds like it might be pretty simple, so I'm hoping if sufficiently miniaturised it shouldn't add much more resistance than a fuse.

I guess the operative point is: we're talking about a separate module you would be able to buy, we aren't talking about changing mechs as delivered. If you like them for their simplicity, I can respect that. If some like them for their reliability, low cost or aesthetics, but would like to have some functions from a VV mod in them as well, it doesn't impinge on anyone else to make that option available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread