• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Airline passenger throws fit and arrested over ecig usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Unable To Get Nicotine Fix, Southwest Passenger Resorts To Throwing Peanuts & Pretzels At Flight Attendants - The Consumerist

Probably been posted elsewhere, but I never venture otuside the Canuck forum... haha.
A passenger on board a Southwest Airlines flight from L.A. to salt Lake City was arrested earlier this week after he allegedly hurled bags of snacks at flight attendants to express his frustration over being unable to inhale fumes from an electronic cigarette.
According to the salt Lake Tribune, the passenger was getting his pre-takeoff nicotine fix from an e-cig when an attendant informed him that the devices are not allowed to be used on board a plane.
The passenger put the nicotine delivery device away... for a while. The criminal complaint against him states that he got angry when asked a second time to stop using the e-cigarette.

From the Tribune:
“
Later, he threw peanuts and pretzels at the flight attendant and at the flight deck door in an apparent attempt to protest the airline's policy banning electronic cigarettes, the complaint states. The flight attendant asked [the passenger] to stop his unruly behavior, but as the flight approached Salt Lake City International Airport, [the passenger] jumped up and started opening overhead containers, the complaint states.
”
The man was greeted by FBI agents when the plane reached its destination. He was arrested and charged with interference with a flight crew.

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Watch out for those smoke detectors....

As long you hold it in for like 30 seconds (overkill) and no visible vapor is exhaled, the smoke detectors won't be set off. Just saying it's better than throwing peanuts at the stewards... haha. Not suggesting people should violate airline policies.

Can you get arrested for it? There's no law stating you can't vape on a plane, but maybe they'd get you for disrupting a flight or whatever. Obviously in this case the guy was arrested for assault with a peanut and not the vaping itself.

Last edited:

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
As long you hold it in for like 30 seconds (overkill) and no visible vapor is exhaled

I do this at work, and really about 3-5 seconds is all you need. My boss knows I vape at work, as do the employees directly around me (they don't care). The last thing I need is HR breathing down my neck because one of the employees who have nothing better to do but complain about other employees in the office sees me blowing "smoke" rings.

I don't have time to educate 200+ sales / marketing people, so I'm somewhat careful, but I don't hold back if someone's at my desk either.

This guy was an idiot, and was probably blowing huge clouds over his head, or had a juice that stank like gym shorts. There's no reason anyone should have even known what he was doing if he was careful.

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
Yay for vaping at work *cyber high-five*

I do it at my desk and no one has ever complained. I figured I would run into resistance, but most people just think it's comical to see me puffing rings while on the phone.

LOL.. Ya, I've actually had a few odd looks. My boss thinks it's great that I'm taking my smoke breaks at my desk.. You know.. productivity and all. The only time I do the huge cloud over my head thing is when someone asks about what it is.

I've managed to convert 3-4 fellow workers, but I think I'm the only one so far that vapes all day at their desk.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
HA HA ...

seriously tho peanuts Kill ... not vapers

I'm kinda blown away by the anti-peanut craze of late.
Georgia, once the peanut state, has outlawed peanuts being anywhere near schools. Some kids are severely allergic to them it seems, hence the ban.

So you might not be far from the truth about killer peanuts....

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Peanut bans are the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.... how the hell can kids build up a resistance if the antagonist is taken completely out of the picture. The amount of kids today allergic to peanuts is.... well.... NUTZ.

"Most" allergies (super sensitivities) can be altered by low dosage exposure to the allergen. Complete lack of exposure only reinforces the allergy and creates turmoil in the end.

Thank Jebus I don't have kids..... how the hell does one "grow up" without peanut butter & jam ??

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
If your kid can die from smelling a peanut, well I'm sorry, but homeschool him. You can never be sure others will follow the rules. Either that or maybe you shouldn't get too attached. :p

Yeah, where does it stop? If everything that has a handful of folks who are allergic to it gets 'banned'...well, that doesn't leave much!

I think the ban is mainly on using peanut oils and stuff like that when cooking. Cases have happened where kids ate something and had no idea it had peanut oil in it...so even if properly trained to watch out for the stuff...they missed it and almost died. Rather than risk it, they just banned peanuts from the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread