• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Airline passenger throws fit and arrested over ecig usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
Being a parent is hard work and it takes all you've got. It seems that some find it easier to say yes because it's easier and it avoids meltdowns. *sigh*

My kids were always well behaved too and I don't understand allowing these meltdowns.
Friends of ours brought their kids over for lunch, 6 and 9, and they were so badly behaved I can't even describe it. Parents didn't seem to care until it got out of hand, by that time their dad had been stewing a bit so the response was kinda hostile lol - we try to remain calm and address issues early.

You can't force people to change their parenting habits, just try to lead by example and hopefully they see the difference.. With any luck your son will get jealous of someone else's well behaved kids and change his ways hehe.

Kams Cats

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Our grandchildren, aged 5 and 7 were over here with my son yesterday. It was time for them to go home and they were told to get out of the pool. Our son told them at least 3 times to get out of the pool and the 5 yr old was ignoring. I went to the end of the pool, where he was, and took him out of the pool. He has meltdown, screaming and yelling at me, then he spit on me!
:shock: and my son did nothing!

If that would have been my kid, he would still be in his room and only allowed out for meals. Our son was told not to come back here today.

I would never have even dreamed of acting that way with my mother and just for the record she never spanked or raised a hand to any of us. Our parents were not our best friends, buddies or there to grant us our every wish. they were the heads of the household, parents. We loved and respected them. we also learned early on that No means No and just where we could push our boundaries and where we could not.

As my one girlfriend said. Our parents just had to give us "the look" and we knew to back down then and there.

Not Iris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I never raised a hand to my kids neither but they knew how to behave and I was not afraid to take them anywhere because they knew from the time they were able to understand that there were no second chances. But my son does not follow through with threats or promises. It's very strange and foreign to me on how parents can let the kid to even get to the point of a meltdown.

My kids were told once to do something and if it was not followed, then there were consequences. It all just seems a little dangerous to me because even when crossing a busy parking lot, these grandkids do not listen when you tell them to STOP they ignore and you physically have to hold them by the arm or they will run out into the traffic.

We are very uncomfortable when the kids stay overnight with us because it is like hell has been unleashed. Needless to say, we do not have the kids for many sleepovers. Sad, really that they lack so much direction and discipline, but I am seeing it more and more often in other kids of the same age range.

These are the future vapers and they will be the ones melting down with the flight attendants when they are told to put away their vapes. LOL

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Jebus, I'm of the older generation of heavy handedness and strict upbringing. I turned out alright (I think, lol), as did my siblings.

Tantrums & back talk were met with "I'll give you something to cry about" & "fetch the twitch". But in this day n age that wouldn't fly. But I'm a sole believer that at some point EVERY kid "deserves" a spanking. It certainly doesn't have to be like "my" punishments were, but feel a cupped hand on the ...., doesn't even have to be hard but rather the action, for bad misbehaviour earns a sense of respect for elders.

I don't think any less of those who chose to raise their kids without positive physical affirmation provided that their choice of upbringing actually works and instills respect. But heaven forbid the parents that bring their kids to "my" home or presence that are rude and unruly, because...... well...... IT AINT GONNA GO WELL !!

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
Holy morphing thread, Batman!!

On the peanut allergy thing, yeah that boggles my mind. My brother's daughters have some crazy food allergies - one of them is allergic to peanuts and soy, and the other one has some gluten allergy. I don't know if this comes from his wife's family or not, or if it's just the fact that the kids were not desensitized to this stuff when they were babies. I have no clue. My mom just cooked stuff and we had to eat it, no matter how awful it was, that was the rule - no dessert if you don't finish your dinner. Momster certainly wasn't cooking "special" food for me (I had digestive problems as a kid) or my brother who had serious allergies to grass and ragweed pollen.

On the behavior thing, LOL don't get me started. My mom was a beast and had no problem smacking us around in public if we got uppity with her. Nobody was gonna call the cops on a parent for disciplining their kids in public back in the 70s.

My sister does a better job of policing her kids than my brother does with his (I don't have kids so I can't speak from experience). Her little ones are fairly well behaved (ages 5 and 7) and when they get squirrely they have go to have a timeout in the car with dad (or she takes them for timeout). My brother's kids are a lot more squirrely, but still not as bad as some of the little sprogs I've seen wreaking havoc in restaurants, stores, etc.

As for the ...... on the Southwest flight? WTF!! What did he do BEFORE he had a PV? Get a grip, dude. Get some nicotine gum, f'ing tough it out - it's not like you were flying to Asia.

JayTheVapingGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My daughter is 5... she's extremely well behaved... in fact... when i get frustrated with her for "not listening" i often have to be reminded by my friends that she's 5 and i can't expect her to listen 100% of the time... but i've become so accustomed to her behaving perfectly so much of the time that when she does get a bit squirrelly... it drives me up the wall...

my daughter threw a fit ONCE... she was 3... we went to get ice cream... i got one type, she got another... she demanded mine and tried to throw a tantrum... she didn't want hers, it was yucky, she wanted mine..... so i took it from her and threw it in the garbage... said "there, now you don't have yours, next time be grateful you had a treat!" she cried for 20 min... never threw a tantrum again..

she's still 5 so she does make some mistakes and she does sometimes do things that i'm not happy about... but i don't play games when she acts out... first time, warning... second time, consequence... when she was little and less capable of understanding and reasoning, spanking was a tool... now she's older and capable of understanding... spanking has less real effect... i've still slapped her hands from time to time (ie... she tried to grab something hot off the stove a few weeks ago) but frankly...I'd rather she have a slapped hand than a scalded one...

but more than just punishing... i am very careful to reward her when she does well... something that i've seen some parents not do... and without positive reinforcements, i've noticed that some children almost seem to act out to get negative reinforcement... any attention is good attention i guess... i make sure she gets enough positive attention from me that she doesn't need to resort to acting out to get discipline to get my attention.

my take on the world... again, doesn't negate anyone elses choices or make your way any less valid than mine.

JayTheVapingGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
for the record... i'm a full time single dad... my daughter has spent the last 2 1/2 years being raised exclusively by me... her mother has gone for as much as 6 months without visiting and as long as 4 months without so much as a phone call...

she just recently decided she wanted to be a parent and is only now involved... (literally, my daughter just came home from being at her mothers for the first full weekend in 2 1/2 years) she is supposed to be taking my daughter every second weekend... but we'll see if she actually holds to that or gets bored of it in a month or two.

sigh... i cannot understand deadbeat parents... male or female...

Danesnpits

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Aberdeen, Saskatchewan
for the record... i'm a full time single dad... my daughter has spent the last 2 1/2 years being raised exclusively by me... her mother has gone for as much as 6 months without visiting and as long as 4 months without so much as a phone call...

she just recently decided she wanted to be a parent and is only now involved... (literally, my daughter just came home from being at her mothers for the first full weekend in 2 1/2 years) she is supposed to be taking my daughter every second weekend... but we'll see if she actually holds to that or gets bored of it in a month or two.

sigh... i cannot understand deadbeat parents... male or female...

You are such a fantastic dad! This story brought a lil tear to my eyes as I went through somthing similar with my brother's kids. The mother took my brother to court for full custody, our family fought tooth and nail for those kids' partial custody. We won and my brother gets his kids half time. UGH, I can't imagine not having those beautiful babies in my family's life. Your daugher is one lucky girl to have such a loving father who cares deeply for her well being and loves her so dearly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread