Good Mod for military deployments

Status
Not open for further replies.

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Latest tech and a military grade durability don't go in the same word. I mean, they do if youre like Call of duty player, not an actual soldier.
Real toughness and almost indestructibility come out only from the mech mods.
While i've almost completely moved away from them, i can't deny the fact they are indestructible (in everyday use, not in "my mod took a bullet for me" use) and even if you sunk them under water, drop them in the sand, mud, or anyhing else, a basic cleaning is all you need to get that mod up and running again. For me, as far as the safety goes, a good mech mod is much safer option over any reguated mod, again, when used properly. Same like the use of your weapon. It is good as much as you pay attention to it. On the other hand, most of those "water proof" regulated mods are only water splash proof in real world, and if they get wet on daily bases, they will die and leave you high and dry. Mech will die only if you somehow manage to destroy 510 pin, or the switch assembly. Onboard charger means an open slot on your mod. A slot where the dust, water, mud and everything you can expect to run into on your service gets an easy way to enter into the mod and damage some of electronic components. When damaged, those components can cause same type of damage as any un properly handled mech mod (venting batteries).
So yeah, if you want real liability, mechs are the way to go. Downsize is the fact that it is unregulated so as the battery drains, you will feel decrease in vape quality, and if contact's get dirty, same thing again. But there is that maintenance thing, just like with your weapon ang gear. If you don't maintain it properly, you can't expect it to work properly...

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Hey guys, so I have been vaping for a while and now that one of my comrades are getting ready to deploy I was wondering if there are any others in the Military that have deployed with their mods and what their advice is? Good, tough mods for deployment? Any recommended mods or advice please.
Just to put it out there, I will be getting an Infinite Kayfun V4 for this deployment. The ability to build my own coils really appeals to me and I really think the ability to cut off juice flow for leakage purposes is a good option for a deployment tank. And, of course, a tank versus an RDA because of all the sand over there my RDA will CONSTANTLY be crudded up.

1. I am looking for something with an onboard charging system as I will always be accompanied with a portable charger that has solar charging built in for those dire situations.
2. TOUGH obviously
3. At least 30 Watts
4. A Chipped Mod Box, im not into the mechanical mod thing. I like my boxes with all my safety features.

I'll tell ya something I heard like 50th hand or something so I can't stand behind the information but it makes a certain sense to me.

I was a a vape shop here Ft Drum which I think is the 10th Mountain. They had a mech mod that was beautiful, I think it was an Apache but they are all about the same, and the guy said thats the one all the guys grab before they ship out.

A mech is what I would use.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Good point about the deployment location only being one part of the picture. I'm in communications. Out in the rain, sand storms, digging trenches. Could be on foot patrols or in guard towers still.

Whith a mod rolled up in one of these,you can throw it at the wall / river / sand / mud / snow and open it up and vape, I use this for white water kayaking and it's been in a few scary situations, not to mention back country skiing taking some seriously bad hits in my pack. Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bag - 8 Liters - REI.com

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Latest tech and a military grade durability don't go in the same word. I mean, they do if youre like Call of duty player, not an actual soldier.
Real toughness and almost indestructibility come out only from the mech mods.
While i've almost completely moved away from them, i can't deny the fact they are indestructible (in everyday use, not in "my mod took a bullet for me" use) and even if you sunk them under water, drop them in the sand, mud, or anyhing else, a basic cleaning is all you need to get that mod up and running again. For me, as far as the safety goes, a good mech mod is much safer option over any reguated mod, again, when used properly. Same like the use of your weapon. It is good as much as you pay attention to it. On the other hand, most of those "water proof" regulated mods are only water splash proof in real world, and if they get wet on daily bases, they will die and leave you high and dry. Mech will die only if you somehow manage to destroy 510 pin, or the switch assembly. Onboard charger means an open slot on your mod. A slot where the dust, water, mud and everything you can expect to run into on your service gets an easy way to enter into the mod and damage some of electronic components. When damaged, those components can cause same type of damage as any un properly handled mech mod (venting batteries).
So yeah, if you want real liability, mechs are the way to go. Downsize is the fact that it is unregulated so as the battery drains, you will feel decrease in vape quality, and if contact's get dirty, same thing again. But there is that maintenance thing, just like with your weapon ang gear. If you don't maintain it properly, you can't expect it to work properly...

You (or most people) will use a mech till it auto fires in your pack and don't notice it till it's burning through your pack before you don't use them trekking anymore.

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Then swap the bottle our for a different flavor. Bottles are like $1. I'm not trying to force anything either. Recommending anything besides a mechanical mod to this guy is horrible idea. You have no idea how many military/goverment people use reos and provaris. It's a standard thing. Does he even know he can't have certain led colors? You can't have a green button light up in the field. I have never heard of a overseas solider using a lighted mod. It's just flat out not safe. I'm just trying to help this guy out is all. Good day.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Lighted mods are no big deal overseas. It's called tape. Lol. Just cover that led. And the provari tube mod has a stealth version.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Forum rules

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
You (or most people) will use a mech till it auto fires in your pack and don't notice it till it's burning through your pack before you don't use them trekking anymore.

Mechs don't autofire unless there is user error involved. (someone didn't follow SOP).

I live in the desert. Work in the desert.
Play in the desert.

Mechs are the only way to go.
image.jpg

Mechanicals don't fail. They are built like your weapon (no electronics). They are designed to be serviced in the field.

When it comes to reliability and dependability, there is no substitute for a mechanical mod.
image.jpg

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
I would at least attempt the cloupor Mini. They're more durable than most mods, being stainless steel construction, when it drops, I say "oh sh... did the atomizer survive?" Even though it comes with a silicone sleeve, I'd recommend getting another since the default one looks horrible.

but other than that, yes, the cheap ego's are another way to go... and mechanicals.. well, dunno how you'd charge the batteries.. same goes for the ego's. I guess however you can charge a phone, you can charge an ecig. I guess like what you said, it depends on his MOS. Although my son doesn't vape, I'm sure he will have similar problems depending on where he will be deployed. He is currently USMC MOS 1371 Combat engineer, and his two dependents are his Iphone 6 and his Iphone watch.. I'm sure those won't last long if he's deployed away from base.

Good luck to your son and thank you for what he and his family does. I will be taking my iPhone but god no ,an Iwatch will most likely not survive. Mine is staying home. I'll have power to chRge my devices but I want ability to charge on the go if need be and I'm away from the base for an extended period.

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Mech comes with locking ring. Every mod, no matter is it mech or regulated has to have locking mechanism of some sort. If it does not, i am not buying it. Devices without locking feature are nothing but a theft, and as such should have been banned the moment they have sought a day light for the first time. I am talking about serious mechanical mods not those new fancy looking cubes with no safety feature whasoever. I am talking about GG, Gus and similar, and all those tugboats and new shiny thingys are bunch of c**p worthless of mentioning...

Edit:
Whennit comes about numbers, i have had about 10 mechs, and 4 of them are still in regular use. All of them had a lock, the ones that didnt were never in my possesion. There is no such thing as user error when using a mod with no lock feature. A mod without locking feature is error by it self... But, thats my 5 cents on this subject.... :)

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Mechs don't autofire unless there is user error involved. (someone didn't follow SOP).

I live in the desert. Work in the desert.
Play in the desert.

Mechs are the only way to go.
View attachment 522072

Mechanicals don't fail. They are built like your weapon (no electronics). They are designed to be serviced in the field.

When it comes to reliability and dependability, there is no substitute for a mechanical mod.
View attachment 522071

"Mechanicals don't fail" ?
I'll stick with three clicks and done .............

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Mech comes with locking ring. Every mod, no matter is it mech or regulated has to have locking mechanism of some sort. If it does not, i am not buying it. Devices without locking feature are nothing but a theft, and as such should have been banned the moment they have sought a day light for the first time. I am talking about serious mechanical mods not those new fancy looking cubes with no safety feature whasoever. I am talking about GG, Gus and similar, and all those tugboats and new shiny thingys are bunch of c**p worthless of mentioning...

Lol
People fear what they dont understand.
I have over 80 mechanicals and have never had a single problem.
But then again, I am not a careless person, and I pay attention.
Mechs are advanced user items.
Not meant for people who don't pay attention to what they are doing.

Know your gear.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
@Leon1972 - Some random thoughts in no particular order:

The ProVape Radius includes a rubber dust plug for the charging port. Easy to loose and not attached to the device (trust me) so get some spares if you decide to go that way. The 18650 can fire all the way down to 3.1 volts and a full charge from a totally depleted bat takes about 4 hours. Built like a Sherman tank /lol and the bat door thingy seems designed for a space shuttle so it's not a quick swap but an over engineered super tight and strong fit. The pull out force for the two thunmb screws is around 300 LBS! This would be my second choice but as you point out, their is a huge price gap between my first choice of the MVP Pro V3 which of course includes an ouput to charge your iPhone and other devices. Of course, you can turn off the light show so that's a non event.

Gods speed and please stay safe.

Reactions: TFL!

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Lol
People fear what they dont understand.
I have over 80 mechanicals and have never had a single problem.
But then again, I am not a careless person, and I pay attention.
Mechs are advanced user items.
Not meant for people who don't pay attention to what they are doing.

Know your gear.
Im not saying user error is impossible, we all make mistakes, but vaping gear is still sensitive due to sensitivity of batteries in first place. Yes mech are for experienced users, and ive never had any problems with none of my mechs, but f i was using a mech or non mech mod with no locking feature of any kind, i am increasing possibiliy for uaer error by using such mod. My safety comes to me at first place, and being empliyed in construction my vape gear has to be rigid and trustworthy. Mod without a locking ring is all but trustworthy for a person who has no time to check every 5 seconds if the mod is positioned well in hes pocket so it doesnt auto fire... Sorry but any equipment in the world that has no safety feature of any kind is not a safe equipment. Not only in vape world but in everyday life...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Im not saying user error is impossible, we all make mistakes, but vaping gear is still sensitive due to sensitivity of batteries in first place. Yes mech are for experienced users, and ive never had any problems with none of my mechs, but f i was using a mech or non mech mod with no locking feature of any kind, i am increasing possibiliy for uaer error by using such mod. My safety comes to me at first place, and being empliyed in construction my vape gear has to be rigid and trustworthy. Mod without a locking ring is all but trustworthy for a person who has no time to check every 5 seconds if the mod is positioned well in hes pocket so it doesnt auto fire... Sorry but any equipment in the world that has no safety feature of any kind is not a safe equipment. Not only in vape world but in everyday life...

I doubt a deployed active soldier is careless with their gear. Careless soldiers don't have to worry about reliable mods.

In fact, simple cleaning and service of a mech would be right up their alley.

I would think anyone who has spent time deployed, or weeks away from civilization would see the obvious.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Correct.
they don't fail.
They also don't automatically fire, and they don't have chips that short.

They are like a wrench.
You can break them, but you have to try.

Since when are o-rings (and god forbid you have a spring) / threads, like a wrench ?
And that's so what I want to do in 'my spare time" off, is take apart my mod after trekking for 14 hours.
Ninja, I'm not against mechs, if it were me I would have one at the base as a back up for sure ..............

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
@Leon1972 - Some random thoughts in no particular order:

The ProVape Radius includes a rubber dust plug for the charging port. Easy to loose and not attached to the device (trust me) so get some spares if you decide to go that way. The 18650 can fire all the way down to 3.1 volts and a full charge from a totally depleted bat takes about 4 hours. Built like a Sherman tank /lol and the bat door thingy seems designed for a space shuttle so it's not a quick swap but an over engineered super tight and strong fit. The pull out force for the two thunmb screws is around 300 LBS! This would be my second choice but as you point out, their is a huge price gap between my first choice of the MVP Pro V3 which of course includes an ouput to charge your iPhone and other devices. Of course, you can turn off the light show so that's a non event.

Gods speed and please stay safe.
You seem to have a LOT of good things to say about the provari radius. With all the love you have for it why is it your second choice? Is it just the price?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Since when are o-rings (and god forbid you have a spring) / threads, like a wrench ?
And that's so what I want to do in 'my spare time" off, is take apart my mod after trekking for 14 hours.
Ninja, I'm not against mechs, if it were me I would have one at the base as a back up for sure ..............

1. O rings?
My mechs dont have O rings. My atomizer does.

2. Springs. Like a mag clip, or the thousand other mechanical devices on hand. Not unserviceable in the field.

3. It's easier than cleaning your weapon, which you will do frequently.
Cleaning and servicing all your gear is standard operating procedure.

I have a lot of experience being in very harsh conditions for extended periods.
Reality is, chips, tiny switches and electronic boards don't fare well in harsh conditions.

Boards aren't the most reliable in constant 120+ F heat.

Steel threaded tubes however do very well.
;)

Id bring the mech and use the regulated device as a backup at the Base.

With an SS chi you, you
Could bash an insurgent into submission with it, and still vape all the way back to base.
:)

Reactions: Tol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread