Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbah

Happy Vaper
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
Texas
Central Texas man warns of lung issues likely posed by e-cigarettes

"A Central Texas man issued an urgent warning Thursday after he said his vaping caused a serious lung condition."

"Tommy Lowrance, a professor at Waco's McLennan Community College, developed a condition called "Popcorn Lung" after starting to vape for a short period of time in order to help quit cigarettes. Now, most likely as a result of the chemicals found in those e-cigarettes, he has to use an oxygen machine to function. And, his lungs are in worse condition than people who suffer from some of the most severe lung diseases."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is very strange. After 40 years of smoking, I totally quit right after I started vaping nearly 4 years ago and I breathe far-better now than at anytime in my adult life and I'm 60 years old.

I hope his condition improves. This is sad. It would be smart to investigate the liquid he was using to see if someone added something to it that they shouldn't have, if this is the cause. I know of zero cases of this by vaping alone and especially after a "short period of time".

Last edited:

motordude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
VA, USA
From the article:
Lowrance has been treated by some of the best lung doctors in the world. And, although, they cannot say definitively that his condition came as a result of vaping -- simply because there is not enough information available yet about long-term effects -- they all agree it was most likely the cause.

Could it be from many years of smoking?
Blame something!!!

One case does NOT lead to scientific evidence.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Central Texas man warns of lung issues likely posed by e-cigarettes

"A Central Texas man issued an urgent warning Thursday after he said his vaping caused a serious lung condition."

"Tommy Lowrance, a professor at Waco's McLennan Community College, developed a condition called "Popcorn Lung" after starting to vape for a short period of time in order to help quit cigarettes. Now, most likely as a result of the chemicals found in those e-cigarettes, he has to use an oxygen machine to function. And, his lungs are in worse condition than people who suffer from some of the most severe lung diseases."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is very strange. After 40 years of smoking, I totally quit right after I started vaping nearly 4 years ago and I breathe far-better now than at anytime in my adult life and I'm 60 years old.

I hope his condition improves. This is sad. It would be smart to investigate the liquid he was using to see if someone added something to it that they shouldn't have, if this is the cause. I know of zero cases of this by vaping alone and especially after a "short period of time".

Could well be that e-Cigarette use caused Mr. Lowrance condition.

And that is a Shame. But perhaps Quantifying how many people have also have been effected like Mr. Lowrance would put things in Better Perspective?

Verses how many People have been Positively Impacted by Quitting Smoking by using an e-Cigarette?

Just to use some numbers: If 1 in 100,000 people develop Pop Corn Lung because some combination of e-Cigarette/e-Liquid use and their Past/Current Health Risks, is this Worse than the 100,000 person population of Smokers?

How about 10?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I particularly like the in dept reporting in the article. Stating some of the best lung doctors without naming even one of them.

"Lowrance has been treated by some of the best lung doctors in the world. And, although, they cannot say definitively that his condition came as a result of vaping -- simply because there is not enough information available yet about long-term effects -- they all agree it was most likely the cause."

They provide a link to Mayo Clinic for COPD in the article that states:
COPD - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
"The main cause of COPD in developed countries is tobacco smoking. In the developing world, COPD often occurs in people exposed to fumes from burning fuel for cooking and heating in poorly ventilated homes.

Only about 20 to 30 percent of chronic smokers may develop clinically apparent COPD, although many smokers with long smoking histories may develop reduced lung function. Some smokers develop less common lung conditions. They may be misdiagnosed as having COPD until a more thorough evaluation is performed."

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I did read in one article that vaping did not cause popcorn lung, but did aggravate it which led to man's diagnosis. He didn't know he was ill, just thought he was overtired and coming down with a bug. Can't provide link, have read several article from numerous sites.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Well this is from a provaping site so consider that when reading it.

Will Vaping Cause Popcorn Lung? The Truth Revealed
Wondering what is Popcorn Lung? This is a newly found disease, which is also called Bronchiolitis Obliterans. It reportedly causes coughing and wheezing, shortness of breath. In some extreme cases, the progress of popcorn lung symptoms may even require the patient getting a lung transplant. Researchers detected that the chemical components of 39 out of the 51 flavoring fluids used for vaping contained diacetyl– one of the causes of Popcorn Lung. So what does this mean for vapers?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Researchers detected that the chemical components of 39 out of the 51 flavoring fluids used for vaping contained diacetyl– one of the causes of Popcorn Lung. So what does this mean for vapers?

Dunno?

But if Habitual Inhalation of Diacetyl is a known cause of Bronchiolitis Obliterans, vaper's who choose to use e-Liquids that are Flavored with Flavorings that contain Diacetyl would seem to be at some degree of Risk.

Just as those who use Higher PPM of Diacetyl per day would be at a Higher Risk than those who use Lower PPM's per day.

How Much Risk? That's kinda the 64,000 Dollar Question.

Or adjusted for Todays Dollars and the US Legal System, the 6.4 Million Dollar Question.

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
True best to avoid flavors containing diacetyl just to be cautious. But some of the studies out there say there are 750 times more diacetyl in cig smoke than vaped flavor.

The guy did smoke.

If an e-Liquid Contains No Diacetyl, then there is an almost Infinite more Diacetyl in cigarette smoke than in That e-Liquid/Vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread