traveling via dubai. please help .. where to put things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
I am soooooo utterly confused about this its crazy.

a sibling is bringing me items from the U.S. and into Baghdad.
He will be travelling via dubai with a 21 hour layover. HE WILL go into dubai for the 21 hours.

I have ordered for him to bring to me a few items:

ipv3Li unit
a bunch of Kanthal coil
a few bags of cotton
two RDAs
1 aspire tank
and a 6bottle 30ml juice pack.
18650 batteries (4)
Battery charger

Now. I am confused as to what is allowed to go where.
I know in dubai things are "confusing".
I have contacted dubai airport via email and their replies leave you ultra confused.
they say things like:

"Concerning your query, we would like to let you know that battery-powered portables are considered as prohibited items and are not allowed to be carried in checked-in luggage. This is been practiced as per documented international safety and security rules and is been followed very strictly by Dubai airports security department.

If any such items were been carried in checked-in baggage, items would be subject to confiscation making retrieval impossible to its owner offering no compensation.

We would also like to let you know that electronic smoking devices are prohibited in the UAE and all arriving and departing passenger are restricted to possess the same."

If any such items were been carried in checked-in baggage, items would be subject to confiscation making retrieval impossible to its owner offering no compensation.

We would also like to let you know that electronic smoking devices are prohibited in the UAE and all arriving and departing passenger are restricted to possess the same.

However, please be informed that it is permissible to carry the item (e-cigarette) in hand baggage. "

wtf? double meaning there. in the end it says "it is permissible to carry the item (e-cigarette) in hand baggage." but at the start it says not to.

so i replied to their email all confused... and they said pretty much the same thing but in bold letters. lol

Dear customer,
Please note that transiting passengers are permitted to carry the mentioned items in their hand carry baggage’s. Also, please be informed that any passenger transiting at Dubai airports may remain in the airport for a maximum period of 24 hours.

However, any passenger arriving into the country or departing from the country are not allowed to possess the items.

Kindly, note that these items are subject to screening /searching by the Dubai airports security/police department hence confiscation of the same would be done by Dubai police department.

so we know that he will enter dubai for the 21 hours. problem arises.

a friend of mine works for an airline suggested i throw everything in the checked in bag (the big bag) and considering this is a transition flight (with layover) it should be ok. he says that the big bag will remain at the airport thus not breaking the law of entering the country.

I dont agree with this at all.

what would you do?

((please note, my sibling has no idea on disassembling the rda/tank))
he can take stuff out of the package and throw it in a bag. thats about it.

so how would we deal with this?

Heres what i think. am i correct in this?

Please tell me -- is my selection correct?
ipv3Li unit (remove from box, carryon)?
a bunch of Kanthal coil (checked bag)?
a few bags of cotton (checked bag)?
two RDAs (carry on)?
1 aspire tank (carry on)?
6bottle 30ml juice pack. (checked bag)?
18650 batteries (4) (carryon)?
Battery charger (checked)?

furthermore, i figured perhaps there are lockers to store the items into for when exiting the airport and returning to complete the flight?

Last edited:

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
The regulations are that the batteries have to be in a carry-on bag.
All the other items will be fine in checked baggage.
The problem items are going to be the mod, the RDA's/tank, and the juice.
The juice, I would put in your toiletries bag.
The mod, RDA's and tank I would package together in the checked bag and if asked, it's a gift item that's not staying in Dubai.
Honesty will usually go a long way with Immigration and Security personnel.

Reactions: Annie56

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
I like your idea. In fact its about the same one i had previously though of but after reading their emails i figured I'd put Batteries, Mod and RDA in carry-on. but i'll stick to your idea.

Problem is this though: the checked bag is going to be screened by the airport. What if they remove the stuff from it and leave a note? should we label it as a gift?

This is in fact the most ......ed law in the world. Surrounding couturiers of Iraq we have Turkey, Jordan, UAE, Lebanon. ALL of which have a ban on sale of vaping equipment and are difficult to obtain.
What i am to do if i wanna vape? travel to the UK where a $100 dollars equals £65 pounds? and a mcdonalds meal is £10 pounds? thats a $100 dollars down the drain!
Should i travel to china to buy my equipment where a plane ticket and a visa costs $1500 dollars?

Unbelievable the world we live in!

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Batteries are not allowed in Check-in Baggage on any airline on any aircraft anywhere in the world! That is an international Safety Regulation.

Place everything in Carry-on and hope for the best.

Travelers May possess(transport), but Not legally use in the UAE is what I am Reading.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
It's a pain, but I think it's quite clear:

Batteries = Hand carry (This is a global requirement)

Mod/RDA/Juice = Hand Carry or Checked In, but as illegal in UAE will be confiscated when leaving the airport.

Unless your sibling is willing to wait in the airport for 21 hours (unlikely) it looks like you will lose this gear. The UAE is not a place I'd like to be caught trying to break the law.

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
Your brother is going to have to go through customs in Iraq before you see him. Will that be a problem?
No ... I have friends that work the airport in iraq. we shouldnt have any issues. Iraq is broken :) Thank God for that.

Mod/RDA/Juice = Hand Carry or Checked In, but as illegal in UAE will be confiscated when leaving the airport.
So you just said two things that contradict each other.
mod/rda/juice - hand carry or checked in. .. Which one?
no he's not gonna wait 21 hours in an airport.

I really really am stressed about this... Quite literally i spent many hours ordering this stuff off of ebay, tracking orders and all.
This is so frustrating.

Lets see if i can find a plane ticket to shenzhen, china. Can i find mods there?

Reactions: Susan~S

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
So you just said two things that contradict each other.
mod/rda/juice - hand carry or checked in. .. Which one?
no he's not gonna wait 21 hours in an airport.

It wasn't a contradiction, what I'm saying is it doesn't matter if he hand carries or puts it in th checked bags.

I'm guessing he will b taking both his hand carry and checked bags out of the airport, and at that point he is breaking UAE law.

I'd advise against this. At the very least I'd suggest going through the "Something to declare" line and showing customs the Mod/RDA/Juice, so as to be clear he is not smuggling, but I suspect this will lead to confiscation.

I'm sorry I'm not giving you happier advice, and it sucks, but the rules seem clear, and they only allow vape gear to transit through the airport and not enter th UAE.

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
It wasn't a contradiction, what I'm saying is it doesn't matter if he hand carries or puts it in th checked bags.

I'm guessing he will b taking both his hand carry and checked bags out of the airport, and at that point he is breaking UAE law.

I'd advise against this. At the very least I'd suggest going through the "Something to declare" line and showing customs the Mod/RDA/Juice, so as to be clear he is not smuggling, but I suspect this will lead to confiscation.

I'm sorry I'm not giving you happier advice, and it sucks, but the rules seem clear, and they only allow vape gear to transit through the airport and not enter th UAE.

What are you talking about? the checked in bag will remain at the airport for the next flight. He should only have his carry on to take out of the airport during the 21 hours.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
What are you talking about? the checked in bag will remain at the airport for the next flight. He should only have his carry on to take out of the airport
during the 21 hours.

It's possible the checked in bags will stay in the airport, but in my experience unlikey on a 21hr layover.

Most airlines will assume that you are going to need your luggage during the 21hrs, and arrange for you to collect it in th tranist airport, and re-check it for the second leg.

In my experience this is not a choice, the airline just informs you of this when you check in for the flight.

I could be wrong, the simplest way would be for the OP's brother to call the airline before hand, and ask if he can check his bags all the way to Iraq.

Edit:
I agree, IF the airline will check his bags all the way to Iraq, it's problem solved, as only the batteries need to be hand carried, and you can take these into the UAE.

Last edited:

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
What are you talking about? the checked in bag will remain at the airport for the next flight. He should only have his carry on to take out of the airport during the 21 hours.
If he is going to leave the airport, he and his bags will have to go through UAE Customs. Bags go with the passenger and can't be left or checked through to a final destination when there's an intermediate stop requiring a change of planes or carriers.

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
If he is going to leave the airport, he and his bags will have to go through UAE Customs. Bags go with the passenger and can't be left or checked through to a final destination when there's an intermediate stop requiring a change of planes or carriers.
Dear customer,

Please note that transiting passengers are permitted to carry the mentioned items in their hand carry baggage’s. Also, please be informed that any passenger transiting at Dubai airports may remain in the airport for a maximum period of 24 hours.
However, any passenger arriving into the country or departing from the country are not allowed to possess the items.
Kindly, note that these items are subject to screening /searching by the Dubai airports security/police department hence confiscation of the same would be done by Dubai police department.
Hope this clarifies your concerns.
Regards,
24 hours it says.
layover is 21.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I traveled through Amman, pre-ecigs, in 2004. Being female, i was taken behind a curtain, looked like a voting booth. Two female security officials went through my backpack, examined each and every item. They patted me down head-to-toe. Funny, because i recall they took out my pack of Marlboros, and my Bic. Asked me about them, but let me keep them.
(Ironically, because of all the turmoil in that part of our world, RJA and Emirates are among the safest airlines to fly). Safe travels for you and your brother. I vote for mailing the ecigs.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Dear customer,

Regards,
24 hours it says.
layover is 21.
He's allowed 24 hours of layover time - IN THE AIRPORT. As in, never leaves the area past the Security Screening in the terminal.
If he wants to leave the terminal, he will be ENTERING the UAE and be subject to screening by UAE Customs & Immigration - and that's where he's not allowed to bring the items into the country.
@Bad Ninja 's idea of using an alternate shipping method is going to be far less problematic. Not convenient, but less problematic.
Or, he's going to have to spend his entire layover in the International Terminal at the Dubai Airport.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Check for In Terminal Lockers for Layover.(actual international terminal - not airport)
Maybe he can secure {<In Terminal> before customs} until Departure.
Very, very unlikely. Lockers are rarely found inside the area beyond security screening as it becomes a convenient avenue for persons with bad or illegal intentions to use them as transfer points.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Dear customer,

Regards,
24 hours it says.
layover is 21.

Don't you just love laws that clearly explain it is Legal, but Not Legal! :shock:

It is okay to have it, but we will take it away:rolleyes:

Sounds like it is okay in a Carry-on, but cannot exit the airport. As I suggested - Minimal Risk - Locker

Will they be using the Same INTERNATIONAL Terminal for arrival and EXIT from Dubai? If the Carry-on can be Locker secured in THAT Terminal, it will not pass through Customs.

aalmosawi

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2016
Baghdad
i am EXTREMELY happy to announce that customs didn't touch any of my stuff.
either my brother did a good job unpacking the items (although still in their boxes) and putting them in ziplock baggage or didnt care..

The solution was rather easy. CHECKED bag for all stuff.
passing via Dubai ... just left EVERYTHING except for the batteries in the checked in bags.
Then reached Baghdad and was rather nervous cause they forbid it here too BUT I guess i was lucky cause the customs in iraq only know what the old ecig looks like.

Anyways. I am still a very newbie (if thats right to say) and i have ordered all the things i need to get started..

Click images to see full size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread