Vaping in airports (Gatwick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vosblod

Apr 16, 2014
UK
Hi.
I am nearing my first overseas trip since giving up the smokes and looking for a bit of advice;
Firstly - can I vape before going through passport control? Some places say yes some say no and the Gatwick website says "'smoking' of e cigarretes is not permitted anywhere in the terminal building." I assume that means no not anywhere once in the airport (consigning me to hanging out in airport toilets).
Secondly - can I just walk through security with my kit? If I have any eliquid I gather it needs to be in the plastic bag and must be manufacturer labelled as to the amount (below 100ml). I am planning to put my liquids in hold baggage (which I gather is OK) so merely want to take my clearo through but would they class the few ml's as a liquid so the clearo should go in the bag? Guess, if they want, I can take it off the battery and bag it...
I will make sure the battery is charged so it lights when used as I hear that is the latest thing.
Thirdly - am I OK putting my main gear/liquids in hold luggage? (will make sure batteries are charged to be on the safe side)

I think I am just going to carry my cheapest ego/clearo to take me through my 6 hours of airport fun and put the proper stuff in my baggage so if I get grief and it is confiscated I won't lose much.

Sorry if this has been asked before but the official websites seem vague and things seem to keep changing.

PS: you could ask why it is an issue as smoking is banned and I was a smoker last flight - well last time I flew there were airport smoking areas inside the airport and my flight was only two hours. This flight is 4 hours plus airport time; plenty of time to go into vapeless meltdown.

PPS: It is funny how confused the authorities are : as mentioned Gatwick's website says "smoking of e cigarretes is not permitted anywhere in the terminal building."
Definition of smoking (Oxford dictionary); The action or habit of inhaling and exhaling the smoke of tobacco or a drug / Smoke (Oxford dictionary); A visible suspension of carbon or other particles in air, typically one emitted from a burning substance
I am sure I am legally entitled to vape on the basis their legalese is all wrong - mind you could I afford the millions to sue BAA for my illegal ejection from the airport and missed holiday :)

h0tsh0t

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I will make sure the battery is charged so it lights when used as I hear that is the latest thing...
You could always try walking round vaping on the basis that you're just demonstrating that your device is genuine and the batteries are charged, as requested in the latest security bulletins! ;)

islandgirl305

Moved On
ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Supplier discussing business in un-authorized area

Dj tank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Ann Arbor michigan
Can't speak to international travel or airports... But I fly monthly on Delta all across the US and have been to dozens of major and minor airports. I've never once been asked what my device is (I believe TSA is familiar with ecig devices...although it still shocks me they let my k100 with solid metal kayfun tank through without question:) ). I bring that and usually a Itaste MVP whenever I travel along with a few 30ml bottles of juice. I vape discreetly walking through the airport and usually sit off to the side away from people at the gate and hit my device. I don't blow plumes like an idiot and I don't actively draw attention to what I'm doing...and I've never had anyone complain or come up to me and say stop please. I've sat in many airport bars and puffed at the counter sipping a beer - again discreetly and not drawing attention to what I'm doing. I'm sure if I was hitting it like I do sitting at home that would be different.

I use mine on the plane as well...making sure to take light hits and exhale slowly and not when flight attendants are looking at me or are near me. I'm respectful of my seat mates. And while no one has ever said anything to me..if the did say it was bothering them, I'd apologize and cease. I Guess it's best to sum up by saying don't be d-ick in public with your ecig and in general 99.99999% will never give you a second look.

That's just me YMMV.

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I used to make frequent trips between the US and Hong Kong / Philippines.

For that 11+ hour flight, this was my savior ....

CansOpen.jpg

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
As mentioned before, chasing clouds or taking one of these mods along that look like a handgrenade is likely to earn you an extended security screening with cavity check ( ya know, that fella with the disposable glove rolled up to his elbow ;) ).
Juice low on VG, a mod that won't hurt too much if it gets taken, a bit of discretion - did my vapes at some airports with no hassles.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Do not put batteries in your checked luggage. Always put batteries in your carry on. I would guess that all airport security knows about e-cigs and allow them through. Just because they allow them through does not mean that they allow you to use them. Same a with traditional cigs.

Have a great trip :)

Where ya going? Any place exciting?

LondonGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
London, UK
Yes, batteries in your hand luggage, not in your checked baggage!

The rest can go in your checked baggage, but if you take liquids in your hand luggage then they have to go in the clear bag with the liquids like you said.

I would not recommend taking a filled clearo on the plane, as the pressure changes can cause it to leak. Best to put any liquids in a plastic bag just in case of leaks.

I went through security at Gatwick with my ego setup, and absolutely no issues at all.

Safe journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread