What Is Up With All of These Crazy Coil Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

KermitTheFog

Jul 1, 2015
Lately I've been seeing a lot of posts and videos on various social media and YouTube of people building crazy coils. Like twisting wire then wrapping it with more wire or twisting wire and twisting it again, or braiding all sorts ok wires and then wrapping more wire around them. There are all sorts of crazy names the best one I saw was "Alien wire" lol. So what gives? Are there any actual advantages of people spending crazy amounts of time making these coils or is it just to see who can wrap the prettiest wires together? If there's a noticeable advantage to these coils then maybe I'll take the time to replicate some builds but as of now I just don't know how I feel about them.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Vaping stops being practical for some folks and moves into the fun and entertaining column. I've built most of those crazy coils because its fun. Are they any better? Some are.
I have a dual 26ga 7 wrap spaced in my tugboat as I type this. It's wonderful. Some of the things people are doing with wire is nothing short of amazing and its an art form. It's fun for them and its how vaping has progressed to where it is today.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Lately I've been seeing a lot of posts and videos on various social media and YouTube of people building crazy coils. Like twisting wire then wrapping it with more wire or twisting wire and twisting it again, or braiding all sorts ok wires and then wrapping more wire around them. There are all sorts of crazy names the best one I saw was "Alien wire" lol. So what gives? Are there any actual advantages of people spending crazy amounts of time making these coils or is it just to see who can wrap the prettiest wires together? If there's a noticeable advantage to these coils then maybe I'll take the time to replicate some builds but as of now I just don't know how I feel about them.
If you only want flavor, the single best coil I've tried is a clapton coil.
I've tried a few others, which are a huge pita (looking at you, caterpillar track)
upload_2015-8-17_23-17-45.jpeg

upload_2015-8-17_23-19-45.jpeg

I've also done a few chain link builds, which are really easy but not that great for flavor.
images

Honestly, the flavor off of a clapton is just super clean. Some of these other coils do the same, but they really are a time sink.

Disclaimer: not my pictures.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
It definitely CAN make a difference - how much depends on what's important to you.
Personally, I SUCK at building and mounting coils, so just getting a nice dual can be a challenge. I did make, and am using one setup with two wires neatly twisted, but I'm not even gonna try to make a Clapton, lol.

Anyway - here's the things:
- you're playing around with how quickly the wire heats. More wires lowers resistance but increases the mass that has to heat up. So there's a bit of a compromise between low resistance being hot, and low resistance GETTING hot. By having one skinny little wire twisted into some fat ones, or using different materials, you're further complicating that, because one can kind of "preheat" while the other catches up.
- you're also playing around with surface area. All the little crevasses in a clapton or chain build can capture liquid that will be vaporized - thus the potential bigger cloud with fancy builds

That's most of it, I think!
I like lookin' at em...
:D

josdanarm

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2015
SOME of these crazy coils have put me off of standard and micro coils. Clapton coils are a must for me now. The Clapton coil holds jui e just like a wick does and the flavor is enhanced as is when you add ribbon wire to some like tiger or staple helix or a staggered stapled fused Clapton (lot of words lol) some of these coils are not worth the time however. I ha e a goblin mini that has Clapton coils a velocity rda with dual staple helix coils and a dark horse with dual half ... coils. Each one has beyond excellent flavor and great vapor production. I try to replicate any coil I see and so far only a few r worth my time.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A

There is something in life called the 'law of diminishing returns'. This applies to many things, including vaping. What it means is, there is a point where effect/improvement PEAKS, and you start to get diminishing returns in terms of profit, or in THIS case, better vapor, per effort spent.

In other words, yes, making a GOOD coil improves the quality of vapor in HUGE ways. However, when it comes to clapton coils, or all the fancy coils, they might have some improvement...but they aren't worth it for the vapor who is simply trying to get the best vape for themselves. When you get into making advanced coils, you leave the realm of practicality and enter the realm of hobby/sport.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
High power mods need some rather fancy builds. They are fantastic wicking coils twistedmesses has a video of it, he drops a few drops of ejuice on the right side of the coil and it runs all around the coil to the other post, now thats wicking action, barely needing a wick. Chew on it.. 1st few secs of vid... Its awesome...

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Lately I've been feeling like vaping is taking up more of my life than it is giving back so I keep it simple. Fancy coil builds are something I'm going to pass on, I didn't need a hobby just needed to quit smoking.

But for those who enjoy it by all means twist away.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Vaping can be broken down into several hobbies, really, whether it's hardware collecting, coil building, juice making, mod building, drip tip making, competing in cloud comps.,etc. they're all diversions, some of which require more time and skill than others. Some of the fancy coils are beautiful. I look at it like jewelry making. It's just something that requires more time and learned skill than I want to put into it.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
+1 on claptons being great for flavor and clouds. Twisted coils are super easy and are almost as good. But it's a personal thing. Do you want to spend an hour twisting tiny wires together into something that requires twice the power and blows through twice the juice? It's up to you. If vaping is a hobby for you then coiling is a fun part of it.

Reactions: Sirius

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I've gotten a lot simpler, as time's gone on, with my vaping. I used to spend a lot of time DIYing, developing recipes, collection gear, building genisis coils and mesh wicks, back when that was the thing to do.
Nowadays, I just vape. I have maybe a half dozen DIYs I make, one standard dual coil set up, that I know always works, and only use Reos with bottom feed attys.

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
+1 on claptons being great for flavor and clouds. Twisted coils are super easy and are almost as good. But it's a personal thing. Do you want to spend an hour twisting tiny wires together into something that requires twice the power and blows through twice the juice? It's up to you. If vaping is a hobby for you then coiling is a fun part of it.

An HOUR? You can make 1ft of clapton wire in 2mins, there is a couple youtube videos that give some tips and it makes it super easy.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
High power mods need some rather fancy builds. They are fantastic wicking coils twistedmesses has a video of it, he drops a few drops of ejuice on the right side of the coil and it runs all around the coil to the other post, now thats wicking action, barely needing a wick. Chew on it.. 1st few secs of vid... Its awesome...

Not mine but look at what all goes into those Alien coils.
1a06adfa9d085e756c3e1a3b0721981d.jpg

[emoji79] [emoji89] [emoji89] [emoji89]

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread