18 yeas of Smoking, can I just cool turkey !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infernus

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Malaysia
Hey Mate,

I'm new member of this forum and from Malaysia, i see lot of my friend start vape and can quit smoking immediately.
I smoke more than 20 stick per-day , if I`m going to cold turkey it and move to vape , what was the symptom that i will get? did my body can accept it ?

appreciate any comment, critics , advice and thought :).

Joe

vernhall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States
I smoked for 50+ years and went cold turkey without even realizing it... Got my Apollo Ego electronic cigarette System, loaded it up, and didn't realize I'd quit until my Wife mentioned she hadn't seen me smoking in 2 or 3 days... So, there you go -- yes, you can quit... Now, granted, I vape 24mg juice and, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably start with 36mg, but it's all good... :)

bfitz

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2013
ohio
Hello infernus,

Some people can just switch to vaping and have no ill affects and never smoke again. Then thee are people like me who the transition was not as easy. I am down to one or to cigarettes a day from a pack or more a day, but there are times that the cravings are so bad I could eat a cigarette. I have never been able to quit before, nothing worked for me and I tried all of the normal routes (patch, gum, etc.). I believe that I am on the tail end of those horrible cravings, now only one or two a day, but I do think it is helpful to know that it is not always an easy transition but it can be done, but you might need a bit of will power. All and all vapeing is much easier than any other method I have tried to give up the real cigarettes. Hopefully it is a very easy transition for you.

chimsweep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hardwick, Ma
Joe...welcome. I haven't been doing this very long...but I have had unbelievable results for me. I haven't picked up a stinkie since I received my Ego C in the mail. This vaping thing is wicked pissah which means I am loving it. I have tried all kinds of ways including Chantex, patches.....nothing seemed to work for me. If you are ready getting some nicotine level is my suggestion 18-24 mg. From there you can pick some flavors and vape away. If I understand your post correctly, you have some friends or know someone that vapes? Asking them would be very valuable. There are more knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum. I don't know what or where your path will take you ........but I wish you luck.

Last edited:

cmalcheski

Mar 9, 2013
Thomaston, GA
I smoked for 50+ years and went cold turkey without even realizing it... Got my Apollo Ego electronic cigarette System, loaded it up, and didn't realize I'd quit until my Wife mentioned she hadn't seen me smoking in 2 or 3 days... So, there you go -- yes, you can quit... Now, granted, I vape 24mg juice and, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably start with 36mg, but it's all good... :)

Still working on that.... down to 8 a day, every 2.5 hours....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I could have quit a lot sooner after starting to vape than I realized. I hung on to the last 6 or 8 a day with coffee and after meals for almost 2 years while vaping. One day I decided to quit smoking completely and I found that doing so was easy. I just quit after my pack was empty and never looked back. As long as I could vape, people could smoke around me and I had no desire for a cigarette.

What made me realize that I didn't need tobacco anymore was vaping and smoking my after dinner cigarette side by side. I'd take a hit off a cigarette and then a vape. The vape tasted really good and the cigarette tasted nasty. It was a no brainer to get rid of the cigarettes after making that comparison. It's a head game that you have to play with yourself. It's more mental than physical once you cut down to a certain point.

pendekar

Oct 30, 2012
Malaysia
Hello infernus, I see that you came from Malaysia as well "Selamat Datang". Maybe we can meet sometimes to exchange opinion yes? As for your question, I myself gone cold turkey and the only side effects that I have is plenty of mouth ulcers. First I though its from the nicotine/cigarette withdrawal but later I found out that it's because of the drip tips.
Please do clean em often as it can carries bacteria and soon transferred to your mouth.

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
I started out with 12mg juice that was recommended to me by my local e-cig store. I instantly dropped from 2.5 packs a day to about one, but after 10 days I had no further progress, so I mail ordered some 18mg juice.

This was a huge difference. I stopped smoking almost completely the moment I switched to 18mg with no effort whatsoever. But there were still those times when I got the craving, usually late in the evening, so I ordered one bottle of 24mg juice. I only used the 24mg when my thoughts started to stray towards cigarettes. It totally did the trick.

Now I am smoke free for 3 months after nearly 40 years of smoking.

Last edited:

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hey Mate,

I'm new member of this forum and from Malaysia, i see lot of my friend start vape and can quit smoking immediately.
I smoke more than 20 stick per-day , if I`m going to cold turkey it and move to vape , what was the symptom that i will get? did my body can accept it ?

appreciate any comment, critics , advice and thought :).

Joe

Everybody is different but I found I switched with very, very little effort. I was not even trying to "quit". It's not "cold turkey". I've done cold turkey. This ain't like that. Not at all.

And I smoked 40 cigarettes (two packs) a day for years. I have not "quit" tobacco cigs yet but I don't smoke more than three per day on average now. I started "vaping" on Sunday (3 Mar) around noon. Usually, by now (9 Mar), I would have smoked a carton (10 packs of 20 cigarettes each... in case packing in Malayasia is different, I don't know). Around 200 cigarettes. Instead, I've smoked maybe 15 to 18 so far.

Symptoms? Uh... none?

I have not had anything at all that is like going "cold turkey". Which I have done twice in my life trying to quit smoking. It was miserable both times. Only one time worked at all. I went almost a year before I "slipped".

I have only been doing this a week, yes. But my "symptoms" so far are...

I seem to have more energy. Not a great deal. I'm not going to run a marathon. :) But more. Enough to notice it.

Food is starting to taste better. Not a big change yet. But getting noticeable.

I feel better. Also, I don't cough my head off every morning when I get up.

My mouth can get a little dry. So I drink some water.

If I accidentally try to inhale like a regular cigarette, I cough. Definitely read this library article:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/337017-inhalation-technique-e-cigarette.html

It's a different "technique" and you have to shift your habits a bit. But I've come to enjoy the whole... experience? better than regular cigs. I think the only reason I'm sometimes want a "real one" is the level of nicotine in my current kit is too low. Which I plan on fixing with refills from a local shop.

astounded

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
vancouver bc
Hi,

Some people stop immediately with little/no effort and some cut down drastically then taper off - I think you likely won't know how much effore it will take for you to quit completely until you are actually vaping ... but it certainly will be a lot less effort than quitting without vaping!

Listen to the suggestions of more experienced members regarding hardware and get a good variety of ejuices of different strengths.

Good luck!

infernus

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Malaysia
With alot of support around me, i feel my ambition to quit smoking will come true ...

I could have quit a lot sooner after starting to vape than I realized. I hung on to the last 6 or 8 a day with coffee and after meals for almost 2 years while vaping. One day I decided to quit smoking completely and I found that doing so was easy. I just quit after my pack was empty and never looked back. As long as I could vape, people could smoke around me and I had no desire for a cigarette.

What made me realize that I didn't need tobacco anymore was vaping and smoking my after dinner cigarette side by side. I'd take a hit off a cigarette and then a vape. The vape tasted really good and the cigarette tasted nasty. It was a no brainer to get rid of the cigarettes after making that comparison. It's a head game that you have to play with yourself. It's more mental than physical once you cut down to a certain point.

infernus

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Malaysia
Terima kasih Bro, yeah Hygiene of PV is important, that what i see my friend cleaning their PV and driptips everyday ... catch you later bro ...

Hello infernus, I see that you came from Malaysia as well "Selamat Datang". Maybe we can meet sometimes to exchange opinion yes? As for your question, I myself gone cold turkey and the only side effects that I have is plenty of mouth ulcers. First I though its from the nicotine/cigarette withdrawal but later I found out that it's because of the drip tips.
Please do clean em often as it can carries bacteria and soon transferred to your mouth.

infernus

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Malaysia
Thanks alot for advice and support...

Hi,

Some people stop immediately with little/no effort and some cut down drastically then taper off - I think you likely won't know how much effore it will take for you to quit completely until you are actually vaping ... but it certainly will be a lot less effort than quitting without vaping!

Listen to the suggestions of more experienced members regarding hardware and get a good variety of ejuices of different strengths.

Good luck!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
The key to a smooth transition to vaping is three-fold:

1) get juice with enough nicotine in it to meet your craving. (If you were smoking more than one pack a day, you should START with 18 or even 24mg juice)

2) drink LOTS of water or juice or tea (nothing with a lot of caffeine like soda though). You need to stay hydrated, because many people find that vaping dehydrates them at first. Dehydration can cause all sorts of bad symptoms--dry mouth, headches, nausea, constipation, dizziness, even blurry vision and ringing in your ears...

3) you have to WANT to quit cigarettes. The best juice and mod in the world won't help you quit if you don't WANT to quit. IF you are even considering not quitting as an option, you have already defeated yourself.

Good luck.

infernus

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Malaysia
Thank for the advice mate ...

The key to a smooth transition to vaping is three-fold:

1) get juice with enough nicotine in it to meet your craving. (If you were smoking more than one pack a day, you should START with 18 or even 24mg juice)

2) drink LOTS of water or juice or tea (nothing with a lot of caffeine like soda though). You need to stay hydrated, because many people find that vaping dehydrates them at first. Dehydration can cause all sorts of bad symptoms--dry mouth, headches, nausea, constipation, dizziness, even blurry vision and ringing in your ears...

3) you have to WANT to quit cigarettes. The best juice and mod in the world won't help you quit if you don't WANT to quit. IF you are even considering not quitting as an option, you have already defeated yourself.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread