3rd level domains for affiliates

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2011
Was it something I said?
This might be something you could do for the new website. Most webhosts allow the generation of any number of 3rd level domains free of charge. This would be something like www.analog.bloog.com (obviously not a real page right now). Anyway, doesn't seem like it'd too hard to setup a 2nd level domain for each affiliate, which would automatically enter the discount code for that affiliate. Now I admittedly know little about web design, but have (poorly) managed a few sites where we used 3rd level domains. I imagine that the 3rd level domain wouldn't really exist, as in a separate page for each one, so server size is irrelevant. This would make it easier for the buyer, as well as easier than keeping up with discount codes etc. Also, especially with the field for entering the discount code being very easy to miss, it would automate it (although hopefully this isn't going to be a problem on the new site, hint hint). Might also be possible to store a cookie so that if a visitors first visit is to the 3rd level domain, then returns to the main site, they are still attached to that affiliate and their discount. Just a thought to throw out to the new web guy, nothing I'm too invested in, just an idea...

shooter59

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Central Indiana
If I'm understanding what you want... you are looking for a way to send your customers to the Bloog site and have it automatically attach them to you as a customer and give them the discount at the same time.?????

I asked Jason about a URL to use for the bloog banner that I could use in my websites and do the same thing.

Unfortunately I think the answer to that is on my computer at work, but it is set up. I think it was www.bloog.com/xxxxx
with the xxxxx being either your name or your affiliate code. I don't remember which. But I'm sure we could get the answer quick enough on Monday.....

Crap.. You are right. Virtual directories is what I was talking about? Right?? I'm not much of a web guy... I'm a designer and app developer.

analog

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2011
Was it something I said?
ARRRGGGLLL!!

I KNEW I forgot to do something this week; get a green batt and take a pic. Sorry...

While we're reminding you of stuff, the spearmint name and description for the pepperminty chocolatey "mint" is there too, although it's not as glaring an oversight especially for people that haven't tasted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread