5v 3.0amps regulators for 5v mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

datfreak

Jan 29, 2011
ontario
I have a question about regulators and amperage for 5v mod kits.

What does the amperage do in difference? Like what would the difference be between a 5v 3.0amp or a 5v 1.5amp regulator for a 5v mod?

I want to make a 6v mod but the only regulator chips i can find are 6v 500ma. Would that still work good or would it need more amperage?

I'll be using 510 atty's and 14500 Li-on batteries (3.7volts each) for this mod.

So two 14500 batteries would give me 7.4volts and this chip would regulate it to 6 volts but it's the amperage i'm confused about.

Anyone here think they can explain amperage to me and tell me if a 6v 500ma regulator would work good? thx

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The amp rating on a part/component is part of the wattage calculation for it's ability to dissipate heat. In other words, say the part is rated at 3.0 amps of current (but you de-rate it a bit for your design... say 25%). So, it could, in ideal theory deal with 3.0 amps at <whatever it is rated for> volts but you would design for 2.25.

Volts x amps = watts.

3.0 amps at 5 v = 15 watts. 1.5 amps at 5v is 7.5 watts. So the 1st can handle twice the power of the 2nd.

.5 amps will probably not work very well long term.... not robust enough (would probably fry). OTOH you didn't say @ what volts. It may work since the current is not continuous in an e-cig. Give us a part number if you can so we can see the specs. Also, did it say with or without a heat-sink?

Chances are it will at least work for a while.

You didn't mention your intended atty ohm rating so I can't tell you what the amp draw is.

Make a few more posts, say hi to a bunch of people, wait an hour, and head over to the modder's section:

Modders Forum

Also

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

Last edited:

datfreak

Jan 29, 2011
ontario
Ok i just did some more searching and found some 6v 1.5amps regulators (L7806 LM7806 7806 Voltage Regulator +6V 1.5A)
I'm pretty sure those would be ok.

As for the atty's i have some right now that give me a reading of 3.4ohm and i ordered some 5v atty's and 6v attys, i forget the ohm on these attys but it's something like 4.0ohm for the 5v and 4.5 or 5.0 for the 6v atty, something like that, i'd have to look again.

I also got some LR attys at 1.5ohm but i'm sure that would fry on a 5v or 6v mod. I just wanted to try them with the regular 510 battery.

For the voltage, i'm gonna be trying a 5v mod with a 5v 3.0amp regulator using the 3.4ohm atty

And i will also try 6v mod with 6v 1.5amp regulator that i mentioned above with the 3.4 ohm atty, but will also try the 5v and 6v attys to see the difference.

All my atty's are for the joye 510 btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread