5v/regular atty vs 3.7v/LR atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprumos

Dec 13, 2010
PA
hey everyone. im looking at making myself a nice 510 box mod but i cant decide wether to make it a 3.7 volt unit and use LR attys, or make a 5v unit and use regular attys? technically their both passing almost exactly the same wattage through the coils (in most situations) and ive heard that their pretty close in terms of vapor production, throat hit etc. only issue i have is which atty is going to last me longer without kicking the bucket? ive never tryed either so i dont have a preference at this point.

the only other thing i can think of is making a 5v type system (which would really be 7.4v regulated) and using an adjustable regulator instead of the regular 5v regulators that most use. i think this option makes sense but does anyone know where to buy such a regulator?

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
For mod parts here's one place to look Welcome to MadVapes LLC. They may not have what you're looking for but you might get lucky. They do have a decent assortment of mod parts at reasonable parts. If they don't show what you're looking for give them a call or send an email and they'll probably be able to tell you where to get it.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Radio Shack does have some parts. I checked on a couple of things there. You can look online to see at RadioShack - mobile phones, MP3 players, laptops, and more. You'll have to buy connectors from a PV place though and Madvapes has a good selection. You have to look at their descriptions carefully because some connectors have holes, some don't. You'll want one that doesn't have a hole so you won't get juice in your batt box if you overfill your atty. If you have to buy one with a hole in it, solder it closed when you attach your wires. There is a modders forum here too so you can ask specific questions there Modders Forum. It doesn't see as much traffic as this forum so you have to be patient when waiting for a response. There's a bunch of sticky threads there at the top of the page with lots of good info on modding so if you're into it for the first time you might want to go through them.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
I have make a bunch of both and at first I was really into the 5 volt. But once the novelty wore off I went back to 3.7 the low resistance cartomizers are nice too. plus if you make a simple 3.7 with a single 14500 it's still nice and small. I don't even put in an LED anymore. It just really makes it simple.

bprumos

Dec 13, 2010
PA
cskent, i think you might be right it would preolly be better to just oreder from madvapes since i need to get a connector from them anyway.

brad, since youve done both which atty seems to last longer for you? i hear the 5v/reg atty combo the attys only last about 3 maybe 4 weeks if your lucky. but with the lr attys ive heard some lasting a little longer, and the lr attys should have been designed a little better since they are expecting them to handle the 9-10 watts from the start, but ive never seen one on the inside to say if it looks sturdier so i dont really know

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You didn't mention how familiar you are with soldering, modding, etc. You hint at knowledge by talking about vv, so I guess it's really up to you. Some thoughts:

3.7 v is nice with a lower ohm atty: Closer to 2.0 ohms is better (IMHO) than the 1.5 LRs - the LRs get real "hot" and kind of "burn" the juice. LRs don't last as long either. Not really a fan. But it's really what works for you. Others love em.

The 3.7 volt is easiest to make... just be sure to use a 3.0 amp button, or get a power mosfet and use a small switch. Only need 1 battery. 2xAA box.
The 5.0 volt is the next easiest if you use a dedicated 4-pin regulator... it has a built in control pin for the small switches. Needs 2 batteries. 3xAA box.
The VV is "hardest", probably 3xAA again, any switch, with some POT adjuster. Or a module with it all built-in.

If I where you, I'd get at least 2 or 3 Atty connectors (the more the better) and some 2xAA and 3xAA boxes. MV has the mosfets to play with too! May want to pick up an LED and some buttons.

Modules and uses found in various threads:
Modders Forum

P.S. the 1xAA boxes with a switch and a 2.0 amp USB wall-wart, when combined with a USB Cable, make good 5.0v Pass Throughs.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have make a bunch of both and at first I was really into the 5 volt. But once the novelty wore off I went back to 3.7 the low resistance cartomizers are nice too. plus if you make a simple 3.7 with a single 14500 it's still nice and small. I don't even put in an LED anymore. It just really makes it simple.

My thinking exactly Brad. But I'll probably make a VV just because of the novelty of having one plus I have all the parts already. My 3.7v is an 18650 with a Joye 306LR at 1.5 ohms, although I don't see a big difference with a 2.0 ohm.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
cskent, i think you might be right it would preolly be better to just oreder from madvapes since i need to get a connector from them anyway.

brad, since youve done both which atty seems to last longer for you? i hear the 5v/reg atty combo the attys only last about 3 maybe 4 weeks if your lucky. but with the lr attys ive heard some lasting a little longer, and the lr attys should have been designed a little better since they are expecting them to handle the 9-10 watts from the start, but ive never seen one on the inside to say if it looks sturdier so i dont really know

I have better luck with the low resistance atties than 5 volt with regular ones. In fact I was really going through atties with my 5 volt mod. I bought 65 of them from china for $1.50 each delivered from China. Funny I have only killed one now that I'm using 3.7 volts again.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I like variable voltage the best. I like my SR cartomizers best around 4.2V because I have a tendency to puff on them like a cigar or pipe. An LR with 3.7V is hotter than I like.

Parts for a VV mod aren't difficult to find at all. There's lots of adjustable regulators out there you can use. I like to use Mouser electronics. Digikey is also good. Those sites have excellent search engines to dial-in on the components you're looking for. Then just read the data sheet that's always linked to the part to see if it has the specs you need. MadVapes is the only e-cig vendor I've found that has any real selection of mod parts, but I always get the electronics components from Mouser myself.

If you want to get really into it, I use ExpressPCB to have circuit boards made. They have some excellent free CAD software you can use and some great pricing options. I've used them a lot.

Happy modding!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread