A few questions from a DIY beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Narco

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hey everyone, I have been doing some reading on the DIY site here and decided that I should give it a go. I bought everything I need to get started:

- 10ml LDPE Cylinder Bottles and caps x45
- 5ml LDPE bottles x10
- 3ml LDPE bottles x10
- 50ml Low Beaker x3
- Glass Mixing Rods x3
- 50mm Funnel x3
- 10ml Measuring Cylinder x3
- 10cc Luer Syringe x5
- 14ga 1 1/2" blunt tip needles x5
- 60ml of 100mg flavorless VG based Nicotine
- 32oz VG
- 32oz PG
- Assorted flavorings from FA

I have a few questions regarding my first 3ml test batch. I am using EJuiceMeUp application to make a recipe and I told it to do exactly 5ml bottle. Attached is my ecard for my recipe if you all use EJMU.

1) I bought 10 3ml bottles, but they all seem to actually hold 6ml...what gives? Why are they holding twice what was stated? Maybe they just gave me the wrong ones? I also got 5ml bottles and those seem to hold about 5ml.

2) I used ejuice Me Up to make a custom recipe called Strawberry BubbleGum and with 6mg nicotine strength, for 5ml, but when I made it it barely filled up 3ml...where did the rest go? I used a beaker to mix, but i sucked up all the juice that I could....

3) Even though I told it 5ml, it was less, so I repeated the recipe into the same bottle and filled it up....when I went to vape it it is very strong in terms of nicotine feeling....why would that be?

4) It is so tedious to count drop by drop, how do you guys/gals make your liquid without spending all day making one bottle?? I tried measuring by mL but recipies are calling for like 1.3mL, so that is close to impossible to measure in a syringe...

5) Do you mix in a beaker before hand or do you just straight fill into bottles directly?

6) I read that fruity juices don't need a long steeping time, how long do you all steep your fruity flavors for?

Thanks for any feedback you can all provide. I do appreciate it!

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
The way I do it is make a base mix first for example a 50/50 PG/VG and add my nicotine to it.
usually 15 to 18% to accommodate for dilution when adding flavor

if for example I wanted a 5ml batch @10% flavor It would look like this
4.5ml base liquid
.5ml flavoring.
this recipe will end up at approx. 60/40 PG/VG

start w/lower flavoring percentages like 8-10% for strong flavors.
Ex. the RY1,2,3 and 4 flavorings I use I mix at 8% other flavors as high as 16 to 18%

I use 1,5 and 10 ml syringes to mix small batches with.shake well, place in a hot water bath and then let it steep (time dependant on personal tastes) more steep time = a stronger mix.
that about it.
start w/single flavor mixes before getting into multiflavor combinations.
Best of luck and happy vaping!

Last edited:

Donnie Narco

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
San Diego, CA
The way I do it is make a base mix first for example a 50/50 PG/VG and add my nicotine to it.
if for example I wanted a 5ml batch @10% flavor It would look like this
4.5ml base liquid
.5ml flavoring.

So do you not use EJuiceMeUp? Do you just calculate everything in your head or on paper before going?

Oh and here is my attachment that I mentioned..
Capture.jpg

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I'd skip the beakers, glass stirring rods, funnel, and cylinder. Just use syringes and mix in the bottles. It's easier to transfer liquid that way. Maybe add a couple of larger volume bottles (20-30 ml).

Making, say 20 ml of base liquid and then taking smaller amounts of that to add different flavors to is also a good suggestion.

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
So do you not use EJuiceMeUp? Do you just calculate everything in your head or on paper before going?

Oh and here is my attachment that I mentioned..
View attachment 310780

I use EJMU and love it! some flavors I've mixed so many times I now know what amount of what I need to add.
also, keep notes on what you just made if you like it you can look back and duplicate it if its too weak or strong you can adjust as needed

Donnie Narco

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
San Diego, CA
I'd skip the beakers, glass stirring rods, funnel, and cylinder. Just use syringes and mix in the bottles. It's easier to transfer liquid that way. Maybe add a couple of larger volume bottles (20-30 ml).

Dang, I wonder why I bought all of that extra crap then if I don't even need it?!?

Also, with your syringes, they all say Single Use Only...but I read somewhere that I can soak them in hot soapy water and then reuse them....true??

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone, I have been doing some reading on the DIY site here and decided that I should give it a go. I bought everything I need to get started:

- 10ml LDPE Cylinder Bottles and caps x45
- 5ml LDPE bottles x10
- 3ml LDPE bottles x10
- 50ml Low Beaker x3
- Glass Mixing Rods x3
- 50mm Funnel x3
- 10ml Measuring Cylinder x3
- 10cc Luer Syringe x5
- 14ga 1 1/2" blunt tip needles x5
- 60ml of 100mg flavorless VG based Nicotine
- 32oz VG
- 32oz PG
- Assorted flavorings from FA

I have a few questions regarding my first 3ml test batch. I am using EJuiceMeUp application to make a recipe and I told it to do exactly 5ml bottle. Attached is my ecard for my recipe if you all use EJMU.

1) I bought 10 3ml bottles, but they all seem to actually hold 6ml...what gives? Why are they holding twice what was stated? Maybe they just gave me the wrong ones? I also got 5ml bottles and those seem to hold about 5ml.

The sizing of bottles usually account for some head space. That is normal.

2) I used eJuice Me Up to make a custom recipe called Strawberry BubbleGum and with 6mg nicotine strength, for 5ml, but when I made it it barely filled up 3ml...where did the rest go? I used a beaker to mix, but i sucked up all the juice that I could....

The liquids are very thick, you probably lost a lot due to it sticking to the sides of the beaker.

3) Even though I told it 5ml, it was less, so I repeated the recipe into the same bottle and filled it up....when I went to vape it it is very strong in terms of nicotine feeling....why would that be?

No idea, possibly mis measured, or didn't mix it up well enough?

4) It is so tedious to count drop by drop, how do you guys/gals make your liquid without spending all day making one bottle?? I tried measuring by mL but recipies are calling for like 1.3mL, so that is close to impossible to measure in a syringe...

Get some smaller syringes. 1 ml syringe for less than 1 ml volumes, and 3 ml syringe for less than 2 ml amounts.

5) Do you mix in a beaker before hand or do you just straight fill into bottles directly?

I mix directly in the bottle, as I mentioned previously. Sticky liquid coats the inside of containers and is very difficult to transfer.

6) I read that fruity juices don't need a long steeping time, how long do you all steep your fruity flavors for?

Thanks for any feedback you can all provide. I do appreciate it!

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
Dang, I wonder why I bought all of that extra crap then if I don't even need it?!?

Also, with your syringes, they all say Single Use Only...but I read somewhere that I can soak them in hot soapy water and then reuse them....true??

you'll use some if not all of it down the line.
you can gentley warm your VG in the micro (lowest power level to get it to pour easier (not so thick)

Penny pincher Note: I get my 5 and 10ml syringes free at Wal-Mart. just ask the pharmacist for some for giving your kid (or self) meds the store I go to will give me 1 and sometimes 2 of each size. hot water rinse will take the numbers off after only 5 or 10 uses

Last edited:

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
Yea the beaker walls will claim some juice (a few mils depending on size) that's why a syringe is best.

are your beakers graduated (marked on the sides?) I have some 5 and 10ml's w/no markings at all, they are useless. I checked them one time and the 5ml had to be full to the top!!! try pouring from that w/o spilling!

your 50mm funnels will be used for filling 30ml bottles and for pouring your Nic concentrate into a smaller container down the road if you decide to delve into mixing down from 100mg strength. (not a noob option at this point)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Great Idea on the clear spray Spaz... gonna steal that one! Ha Ha!

It's easy peasy. I used to use clear nail polish, but if you get it too thick it peels off, and if you brush it too much it dissolves the markings in the syringe. The clear spray paint is thin and doesn't peel off or smudge the numbers. Dries quickly. It's probably best to go for one that's made for plastics, which is what I just happened to have on hand. Oh, and I'm sure I got the idea from ECF!

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
Yea I like to mix up a batch of base liquid at my chosen nic level then just add flavoring to it makes it much easier.

Yes you can use the syringes over just wash em in between uses I would suggest putting scotch tape over the numbers so they don't wear off.

And yet another great syringe saver Idea! thanks Hill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread