What Am I Doing Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algerhugz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Pennsylvania
Im using ejuicemeup calc for a one flavor recipe. 100mg nic vg base target nic 18mg 12% flavor. 5ml. bottle.

So I used 18 drops nic, 32 drops pg, 38 drops vg, 12 drops flavor according to calc. I was using a 5ml bottle and only ended up
with half a bottle. I was using a pipette for measuring the drops. I even measured with a syringe after I finished the mix and ended with only half the 5ml bottle full and only ended up with 3ml of liquid.. Just wondering why this didnt come out right. I tried twice just to make sure I had the right amount of drops and ended up with the same half bottle.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
Your drops are too small, or your 'number of drops per ml' setting in the calc is too low.

Drop sizes van vary wildly between different dropper types and liquid viscosities, so you're probably better off measuring by milliliters.

Sounds like if you put 33-34 drops per ml in the calc, you'd be close, though.

I couldn't agree mpre. Try measuring out one or two ml of PG and putting it into your pipette. Then count the number of drops as you put the liquid back into its original container. Then calculate the number of drops/ml.
I did this with my pipettes and PG and wound up with 38 drops/ ml. Nowhere close to the 20 which is usually the default setting.
With a volume as small as a 5 ml batch, you might use a syringe for the PG and VG (large bore needle), then use your results for flavorings. Until you figure it out, your won't be ab;e to accurately translate your 5 ml sample to a bigger batch, like 30 ml.
Good Luck, and if you do as I suggested, let us know the resulting drops/ ml, please.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Okay so I measured out 5ml of VG and filled the pipette 150 drops in the 5 ml so that would be 30 drops/ml
The Pg on the other hand at 5ml = 205 drops in the 5ml which would be 41 drops/ml
My nic is in VG So what should I set the calc at for Drops/ml ?

Sounds like you might be using a 5ml bottle? If this is the case your results may still be a little off. Most bottles will hold more than they are listed at. This is to allow a bit of air space at the top, known as headspace.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
Okay so I measured out 5ml of VG and filled the pipette 150 drops in the 5 ml so that would be 30 drops/ml
The Pg on the other hand at 5ml = 205 drops in the 5ml which would be 41 drops/ml
My nic is in VG So what should I set the calc at for Drops/ml ?

It would be more accurate to fill a syringe with a known amount then put that into the pipette and drip that back into the bottle. BUT, what you did will give you better accuracy than your first attempt. You can do the same thing with your nic, but it should be pretty close to the VG number.
Keep truckin' and enjoy. Uh, my VG is 38 drops / ml.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I use a syringe and measure out the mls for everything. I use a flask mainly for the VG because it's thick and I don't have a syringe needle big enough to suck it up because it's so thick. And I have a bowl of water off to the side that I flush out my syringe in between every time I use it on something. Works great.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
With 100 mg nic, you should really only be using a syringe. Uncertainty in drop sizes can really give widely varying nic levels in the end juice. Plus it minimizes the chance of spilling or getting it on you. If it is PG nic, a graduated cylinder is ok, since it is quite thin, but I would not recommend it for VG nic of that strength...takes a while to get it all out, and some will adhere to the insides of the cylinder.

I only use syringes for all DIY liquids, even flavors. Just so much easier, more accurate, safer, and faster. The warming of VG to thin it is a good idea, but if it is too warm it will expand some. 17-18 gauge blunt needle is reasonable for room temp VG, but it can take a while to fill a syringe.

Jim N

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
Colorado
I ran into the same problem when I first started. Different drop ratios depending upon the dropper and when using the same dropper, different ratios depending upon the viscosity (PG or VG). Considering I didn't have the patience or money to invest in quality measuring equipment, this is what I did:

I used a ruler (mm scale). I put tape on the bottle for each level of the ingredients.
For example, using your recipe (18 drops nic, 32 drops pg, 38 drops vg, 12 drops flavor), if the bottle is 30 mm high, I would take 30 (# of mm in height) divided by 100 (total # of drops). That gives me .3 times each number of drops. Thus, I would put tape on the bottle at 5.4 mm for nic, 9 mm for flavor, 18.6 mm for PG, 30 mm for VG.

Not scientifically precise, but a lot closer than what I could achieve with the equipment I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread