ALA/Pfizer report delineates state laws requiring taxpayers and insurance policy holders to subsize drug industry cessation products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
This 2009 ALA report (funded by Pfizer, and probably mostly written by Pfizer) delineates laws in all states that require taxpayers and healthcare insurance policy holders to subsidize the purchase of FDA approved smoking cessation drugs.
http://www.lung.org/assets/documents/publications/other-reports/smoking-cessation-report-2009.pdf

While drug companies have been funding CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA and others to advocate sales bans, usage bans and/or excessive taxes on smokefree tobacco alternatives (including e-cigarettes), the drug companies also have been funding these and other groups to lobby for state and federal laws to require taxpayers and healthcare insurance policy holders to subsidize (or to totally pay for) FDA approved smoking cessation drugs for smokers.

If not for these laws, sales and consumption of FDA approved smoking cessation drugs would never have increased to current levels. If these laws were repealed, the sale and consumption of FDA approved smoking cessation drugs would plummet.

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
Bill, thank you for actually doing something and negotiating the sewer of politics where public policy is made. I would do it myself but I have a day job and kids who need food, clothing, shelter and a soccer coach.:) Like most normal people.

It's all about the money. Until the vapor community knows the opponent and rules, we won't know whose .... to kick.

The New Corporate America Business Model

Ecigs are a huge threat to Pharma NRT. They spent millions to coerce smokers to quit and buy their useless gums and patches with a 95% failure rate for a reason. Their front groups convinced public serpents that using millions in taxpayer money to buy their gums and patches would save gubmint billions in healthcare costs.

They never saw ecigs and human engenuity coming to destroy their crony capitalist central planning scheme.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
TennDave inquired:

Now, how can we oppose this? I understand about opposing local bills...but how do we go about enlightening others and the public about this kind of nonsense? This impacts everyone's health care (insurance policies) in one way or another, if I'm taking this right.

By educating elected officials about the very low success rates for NRT and high health/safety risks of Chantix and Wellbutrin (i.e. FDA approved smoking cessation drugs) whenever legislation is proposed at the state or federal level to increase or maintain government funding for smoking cessation products/programs, or when legislation is proposed to require taxpayers and/or healthcare insurance policy holders to further subsidize the costs of these drugs industry products.

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
Bill, I agree with your educational approach. Hopefully the ecig and tobacco harm reduction strategy follows the same path as MMA/ultimate fighting.

Liberal lawmakers knee jerk reaction was to ban it...for the chilruns.(tm)

Then they saw its not that bad. Just harmless fun. Now NY welcomes the UFC at MSG.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Bill, I agree with your educational approach. Hopefully the ecig and tobacco harm reduction strategy follows the same path as MMA/ultimate fighting.

Liberal lawmakers knee jerk reaction was to ban it...for the chilruns.(tm)

Then they saw its not that bad. Just harmless fun. Now NY welcomes the UFC at MSG.

LOL...maybe it's cause I'm older 'n dirt -- but I don't understand about half of what this means :( What is "MMA/ultimate fighting" and "UFC at MSG"? :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Glad we cleared that up. I thought boxing was brutal enough, bot the had to add kicking and kneeing to really make a sport. I suppose there is no below the belt rules anymore, at least I didn't notice any while watching for the first time last week.
Well, you're not supposed to kick a guy in the nuts, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread