Another Cooking Thread

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Holidays are here. Someone will be cooking something somewhere.
And, as a recent widower who inherited her kitchen, I wouldn't mind a few pointers and/or recipes.
These cooking threads usually die quickly, maybe this one will last until the First of the Year ?

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Holidays are here. Someone will be cooking something somewhere.
And, as a recent widower who inherited her kitchen, I wouldn't mind a few pointers and/or recipes.
These cooking threads usually die quickly, maybe this one will last until the First of the Year ?
Oh, Papaw, I am so sorry to hear about your wife. :cry: I hope she had a soft landing and left you some great recipes.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I will just tell you about some sites I use and love a lot of their recipes:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Anyways, let's talk Green Life cookware. I have a full set in the kitchen. Some research says oil or butter, but no spray on stuff, lower heat, and silicone or wood utensils (have plenty of both). I've used them, as directed, and they seem decent. But will they last ?
    I have a set of GreenPan fry pans. Different brand, but they are ceramic nonstick. What you learned so far is right. I’d add:

- Don’t exceed medium heat. As you learned, they do work best low and slow. You can go toward medium high but it reduces the life of the pan to do that very often.

- Avoid thermal shock which can cause the coating to separate from the layer below, or cause it to crack and flake off. Let the pan cool down before you wash or rinse it.

- If they start to stick, you might be able to use a “magic erase” pad. I can on mine but check to make sure it’s okay on yours. Mr. Clean brand of pads is overpriced. There are lots of off brands that work just as well.

Reactions: Letitia

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Slow Baked Chicken Breast

Ingredients​

• 4 skinless boneless split chicken breasts
    • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp cane sugar
    • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 2 tsp paprika
    • finishing sprinkle of smoked paprika
    • 2 tsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
    • 4 Tbsp butter (unsalted; 1/2 stick sliced into 8 thin pats)
    • 1/2 cup chicken broth

Instructions​

1. Preheat oven to 325F
    2. Prepare the rub by mixing salt, sugar, cayenne pepper and paprika. Cover the chicken breasts with a thin layer of vegetable or olive oil first to ensure that the rub adheres properly. Cover each chicken breast with an even layer of the rub.
    3. Place chicken breasts in a deep baking dish. Stick butter pats to the sides of the baking dish. Pour chicken broth into the baking dish carefully so as not to wash away the rub.
    4. Bake at 325F uncovered for about 60 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F. To make sure the chicken tops are nicely browned and do not dry out, baste the chicken breasts in the juices 30-40 minutes into baking.
    5. Remove from the oven, let rest for 5 minutes and serve your perfectly baked chicken breast.

Notes​

You may also want to try baking the chicken to 162F internal for optimal results. If you cook the meat to 162F and let it rest for 5 minutes, the temperature will rise by 3-4 degrees based on my experiments and the chicken will reach the safe temperature of 165F.

Try using the juices from the pan as a dipping sauce for the chicken. It's delightful.

1703909105474.png

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Here’s how to make a delicious, silky chicken gravy. Can be a beef gravy if you use beef broth.

Ratio (yields 2 cups of gravy)

• 4 tbs butter or fat
    • 4 tbs flour
    • 2 cups broth, pan drippings, heavy cream (as preferred)
    Directions
    1. Melt butter over low to medium heat
    2. Slowly add flour whisking constantly for 5 minutes to remove the raw flavor of flour and to prevent lumps
    3. Slowly add broth whisking constantly to prevent lumps
    4. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer whisking continuously.
    5. Continue heating to desired thickness. It will thicken more as it cools.
    6. Season with salt, pepper and any other spices desired.

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    If you like pasta, here’s an easy sauce recipe I learned online from an old Italian grandmother.

- 28 oz can Centos San Marzano peeled tomatoes (other brands are okay too, best to use Roma or San Marzano because regular tomatoes are too watery)
    - 4 tbs butter cut into 4 pieces
    - 1 tsp salt
    - 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced in half (works best if you set the onion with the root sitting on the cutting board and then cut it top to bottom because the root part holds it together while it cooks in the sauce)
    - Tomato paste
    - Garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne (if you like spicy)

Directions:
    1. Pour the tomatoes and all of the juice or sauce in the can into a 6 qt soup pot

2. Squish the tomatoes with your hand, breaking them into whatever chunk size you like.

3. Add salt & stir.

4. Place onion halves cut side down into the sauce. Place butter pieces.

5. Bring to a strong simmer over medium to medium high heat. Then reduce to medium to medium low heat and cook uncovered for about 45 mins, stirring occasionally.

6. Remove the onions halves. You can add a tablespoon or more of tomato paste to thicken the sauce. (I buy tubes of tomato paste rather than cans so I can use just a little at a time.)

7. Add pepper, garlic powder, whatever spices you like.

You can use this sauce with pasta, or as a dip with bread or mozzarella sticks. You can slice bread or rolls, add this sauce then cheese and any toppings and bake in the oven for a quick bread pizza. 350 for 20 - 30 mins or more till it’s done to your liking.

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Tuna Cakes

- 5 - 7 oz can Genova Yellow Fin Tuna in olive oil (other brands okay too, this is my favorite)

- 1 large egg

- Panko or regular bread crumbs

- salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, cumin

Directions

1. Drain some of the oil from tuna then add tuna and remaining oil in a mixing bowl.

2. Add the egg and about 1/4 cup of panko.

4. Add salt, pepper and 1/2 to 1 tsp (to taste) of the onion powder, paprika and cumin.

5. Mix until it just blends and starts to feel like you can shape it into cakes. Add more panko or bread crumbs as needed just to the point it will stick. Too much will make the cakes too dry.

6. Shape into patties and dip those into panko or bread crumbs. Makes 4 medium cakes or 6 smaller ones.

7. Fry in oil until golden, flip and fry the other side until golden.

IMG_9038.jpeg

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Something I cooked again this evening, and just finished eating...

SMOTHERED CABBAGE

1 lb. Potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 head of Cabbage
    12oz package of Smoked Sausage (I prefer the skinless)
    4 Tbsp unsalted Butter
    2 clove of Garlic
    1 cube Chicken Bouillon
    1/4 medium Onion, chopped
    1 tsp Salt
    1 Tsp Pepper
    1 cup of water

Quarter, core, and slice Cabbage into 1" strips, then cut strips into 2" pieces. Separate, remove hard pieces, and let sit temporarily in large bowl or colander.
    Bring water to boil in large pot, then add Butter, Onion, Garlic, Bouillon and seasoning. Stir.
    Add Potatoes and Sausage. Boil for 5 minutes.
    Reduce heat to simmer. Add Cabbage (If it will not all fit, fill pot, cook down for five minutes and include remaining Cabbage). Cook for 5 Minutes (more).
    Gently fold ingredients so Cabbage is introduced to broth.
    Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes for crisper Cabbage, 10 to 15 minutes for softer Cabbage.
    Strain in colander, then serve.

Users who are viewing this thread