Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
if your talking the single battery ones then year not much in that market for temp control. for dual battery ones however they lack watt curves, pre heat, temp curves, "only" 167 watts, no boost circuit (many people were sad their therion 167 couldn't power the crown 3 .5ohm coil because of this) meanwhile mods like the skystar and revenger X do all of that at 1/3rd to half the price

I actually can't speak to the older DNA boards, I only have the 75C. That dedicated Select button was a stroke of genius IMHO. It does a lot more "on board" than prior DNA board from what I know. It is in an HCigar VT 75D which is dual battery. And the 75W is no issue since my settings are 30W 435F using about 0.5 Ohm single round wire SS316L using a custom curve provided by DJLsb.

65 bucks for a replacement board or for less then 50 i can buy the latest new mod from another company with more features and similar performance. that was kind of my point. ti's not that DNA mods are bad. I love my DNA mods but many companies improved and evolv didn't really. the main draw is the 1 year warranty over 90 days for most companies

No doubt on the warranty, it is very nice. I tend to be very picky about my mods size and form factor, so just getting the "newest" for me may not be preferable to fixing the old trusty friend. Not to mention I can't at this point even imagine what new feature I could possibly need.

I am not saying that Aspire or Vaporesso are bad, I don't know I haven't used them. I am the kind of guy that finds one dish at each restaurant and I stick with it once I find what I like. I found it with Evolv and unless they go out of business or just completely let QC fall in the drain, I think I found what I am going to use.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Watching PBusardo do his TC tests on the scope wile blowing and or using liquid shows how many devices use an off/on pulse method to limit the temp where as others actually adjust the wattage in a smooth manner. That is one of the main things I look for. Also if when you set to 450 is it close to 450 in reality or is it way off?
the problem with phils testing is he runs one build on one atomizer in a control environment (and to be honest i have a few gripes with his and DJLs testing as well but that could be for another day) the reality is people use many builds on many attys. and RTAs and tanks not just RDAs. I've had mods feel good in TC at first and then start being all wonky after a new build and then always being incosistent. there isn't a single mod i couldn't "trick" into a good temp control result for a video. If you look at DJLs according to him wismec is more accurate in temp control then a DNA (no lie look at his DNA boss review) DJL also said smok does a good temp control with the alien and Phil said joyetech does great temp control and makes the best mods for the money. he also visits joyetechs factory quite often and only speaks highly of them. For me the thing is real time usage. can I throw 8 different builds and still get good temp control and consistency? that's what i look for. not it works on a single coil spaced build only according to a line

Reactions: madstabber

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
No pre heat? I have both single and dual battery DNA 75's and single battery DNA 60'S. I do only use single coils and only low power MTL.
i understand you may not need it, but i'm just saying objectively speaking for a "high end" chip it lacks features found in cheaper ones. if all you do is vape low watts on small single battery mods in power mode only, there is really no advantage to a DNA over say a pico 25

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I actually can't speak to the older DNA boards, I only have the 75C. That dedicated Select button was a stroke of genius IMHO. It does a lot more "on board" than prior DNA board from what I know. It is in an HCigar VT 75D which is dual battery. And the 75W is no issue since my settings are 30W 435F using about 0.5 Ohm single round wire SS316L using a custom curve provided by DJLsb.

the DNA75c did make some nice improvements as far as on chip adjustments and the menu system and a nicer screen for sure. but even at that there are other companies that already did the same at a lower price. that was basically my point. now mind you i'm a sucker for DNAs and when the DNA250c comes out i'll buy one for sure. I reviewed the therion 75c then gave it away. I also have the therion 75c BF mod i'm working on currently as well but i'll probably keep that one. I'm just failing to see what the offer over other otpions for the money at this point. a lot of companies really stepped up in 2017 with their mods. prior to that is a different story.

No doubt on the warranty, it is very nice. I tend to be very picky about my mods size and form factor, so just getting the "newest" for me may not be preferable to fixing the old trusty friend. Not to mention I can't at this point even imagine what new feature I could possibly need.

I am not saying that Aspire or Vaporesso are bad, I don't know I haven't used them. I am the kind of guy that finds one dish at each restaurant and I stick with it once I find what I like. I found it with Evolv and unless they go out of business or just completely let QC fall in the drain, I think I found what I am going to use.

I hear you. some find what they like and stick to it. I personally always look for improvements always searching for something better, but also doing reviews and spending time helping people find the right set up for them, I don't see why i would direct them to a DNA at this point. that's kind of how i'm looking at it

• Agree

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
the problem with phils testing is he runs one build on one atomizer in a control environment (and to be honest i have a few gripes with his and DJLs testing as well but that could be for another day) the reality is people use many builds on many attys. and RTAs and tanks not just RDAs. I've had mods feel good in TC at first and then start being all wonky after a new build and then always being incosistent. there isn't a single mod i couldn't "trick" into a good temp control result for a video. If you look at DJLs according to him wismec is more accurate in temp control then a DNA (no lie look at his DNA boss review) DJL also said smok does a good temp control with the alien and Phil said joyetech does great temp control and makes the best mods for the money. he also visits joyetechs factory quite often and only speaks highly of them. For me the thing is real time usage. can I throw 8 different builds and still get good temp control and consistency? that's what i look for. not it works on a single coil spaced build only according to a line

And all of that may be true, but I don't throw random builds on. My build is a consistent .5 ohm single strand SS316L 26ga. I don't see me changing anytime soon. It works for me and keeps me from smoking, gives good flavor/juice consumption balance, and it cheap and consistent.

EDIT: I meant to add that I can see for those "experimenters" out there, something cheaper that can do 1.21 Gigawatts could be preferred.

Reactions: Blazr

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I meant what did you mean by no pre heat? I only vape in TC,never power mode. Normally i vape 30 watts preheat then 25 watts power at 410 F coil @ 0.89 ohms.

Preheat is a short burst at a wattage higher than what you set (in Power Mode) to get the coil hotter faster, then it backs off to what you set. It is kind of a poor man's TC that does work with Kanthal.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
And all of that may be true, but I don't throw random builds on. My build is a consistent .5 ohm single strand SS316L 26ga. I don't see me changing anytime soon. It works for me and keeps me from smoking, gives good flavor/juice consumption balance, and it cheap and consistent.

EDIT: I meant to add that I can see for those "experimenters" out there, something cheaper that can do 1.21 Gigawatts could be preferred.
honestly with a build like that i'd say 90% of mods will do TC just fine. that's about as easy as it gets to temp control. I have to think of everyone and how they may use it

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I hear you. some find what they like and stick to it. I personally always look for improvements always searching for something better, but also doing reviews and spending time helping people find the right set up for them, I don't see why i would direct them to a DNA at this point. that's kind of how i'm looking at it

I think as a reviewer that's sort of one of your responsibilities.

We all have favourite mods and when we talk about our preferences it comes from subjectivity.

There are objective details you can use to compare each and every mod: wattage, battery life, build quality, etc.

Because you can't get in my head and figure out what I think is subjectively better, I think you're taking the responsible approach in pointing out the differences on the objective side.

I.e. It's an objective truth that the 167 with no circuit boost cannot out perform a Revenger X at the third of the cost when it comes to using a Crown 3; one of the most popular tanks right now. It doesn't matter how much I love my mod, what build I use, or how I use it: that is a fact and objective truth.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I think as a reviewer that's sort of one of your responsibilities.

We all have favourite mods and when we talk about our preferences it comes from subjectivity.

There are objective details you can use to compare each and every mod: wattage, battery life, build quality, etc.

Because you can't get in my head and figure out what I think is subjectively better, I think you're taking the responsible approach in pointing out the differences on the objective side.

I.e. It's an objective truth that the 167 with no circuit boost cannot out perform a Revenger X at the third of the cost when it comes to using a Crown 3; one of the most popular tanks right now. It doesn't matter how much I love my mod, what build I use, or how I use it: that is a fact and objective truth.
exactly!

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Preheat is a short burst at a wattage higher than what you set (in Power Mode) to get the coil hotter faster, then it backs off to what you set. It is kind of a poor man's TC that does work with Kanthal.
Sorry yes i know what it is,i meant why did Anthony day it has no preheat? I use it in TC all the time.Maybe he meant in power mode.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Sorry yes i know what it is,i meant why did Anthony day it has no preheat? I use it in TC all the time.Maybe he meant in power mode.
yes pre-heat as in power mode. in temp mode the watt setting isn't really a preheat it's just the starting point and the chip does the rest from there.

Reactions: Dubminer

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Watching PBusardo do his TC tests on the scope wile blowing and or using liquid shows how many devices use an off/on pulse method to limit the temp where as others actually adjust the wattage in a smooth manner. That is one of the main things I look for. Also if when you set to 450 is it close to 450 in reality or is it way off?
Check Djlsb Vapes' tests. Tc is starting to be quite smooth and accurate on a wide variety of devices. Evolv may still be the top dog (though personally I actually prefer Wismec/Eleaf/Joyetech), but they're not leagues removed from other companies nowadays.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Agree

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I get you,it confused me because it is called preheat in TC on a DNA, i set mine to 1sec.
yeah escribe labels it a preheat but they are the only ones to call it that. i guess you can consider it a preheat but i meant the DNA lacked a pre-heat in power mode

• Agree
Reactions: Dubminer

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Check Djlsb Vapes' tests. Tc is starting to be quite smooth and accurate on a wide variety of devices. Evolv may still be the top dog (though personally I actually prefer Wismec/Eleaf/Joyetech), but they're not leagues removed from other companies nowadays.

yeah lots of other companies stepping up but honestly those 3 aren't any of them. DJL doens't like to talk bad about big companies. only small ones. He's a nice dude, iv'e talked with him a few times, but again there are things he does/says i don't agree with it

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It's really in power mode that preheat is an advantage. In tc, just set the wattage higher than regularly needed. I don't quite understand what the DNA tc preheat does that setting the wattage higher doesn't accomplish.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
yeah lots of other companies stepping up but honestly those 3 aren't any of them. DJL doens't like to talk bad about big companies. only small ones. He's a nice dude, iv'e talked with him a few times, but again there are things he does/says i don't agree with it
Well, you yourself give honorable mentions to both Eleaf and Wismec [emoji6] Not gonna argue. I've just been very satisfied with (almost) every Eleaf, Wismec, and Joyetech mod I've ever had, and use them exclusively in tc. They work great for me, and that's what matters, to me [emoji5]

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Well, you yourself give honorable mentions to both Eleaf and Wismec [emoji6] Not gonna argue. I've just been very satisfied with (almost) every Eleaf, Wismec, and Joyetech mod I've ever had, and use them exclusively in tc. They work great for me, and that's what matters, to me [emoji5]

yeah 2 specific devices though. that's why it's a case by case basis. If i listed all the ones that didn't do good temp control from them it would be much longer. as long as your happy keep doing what your doing. nothing wrong with that. I just wouldn't stake my name recommending one for temp control outside of those 2. also FWIW the invoke i just reviewed sucked balls and the RX21700 isn't much better lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread