Anymore news on Aspire changing to cotton wicks on there BVC colils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
my mistake. there was a new warning slip in the pack telling me not to damage my cotton coils that i'd never seen before.

No problem... Just trying to squash any FUD regarding these new cotton coils.

So far Kidney Puncher is the only retailer I'm aware of selling them, but at $21 for a 5 pack; I'll wait until the stocks of existing old ones are gone and everyone has the new all cotton version.

funkymeatball

Jan 15, 2015
Vienna
I just received a 5 pack of the new cotton BVCs for the K1 from FT.
Having one of the coils disassembled I'm sure that there are only small cotton pads inside.
Also the box has the small slip stating that you should wait 2 minutes to allow the cotton to become saturated.
The scratch code is authentic too.

So far I was only happy with the BVCs when I gutted them, drilled a 2 mm hole and put in a normal single coil with a cotton wick.
Unmodified they just never worked for me.

At first I thought, great Aspire now went to cotton.
IMHO, vapor is much stronger with the new BVCs. Just the taste is:p
I washed the coil head under hot water, rinsed it several times with juice. The taste became somehow better, just very weak.
Still even after half a tank it's very weak compared to my modified single coil Aspire heads.
Let's see if the taste gets more intense after a whole tank.

What's your experience?

Last edited:

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
I just received a 5 pack of the new cotton BVCs for the K1 from FT.

I loved the flavor of the 'old' BVC, just not the idea of the ceramic filler, so I've been waiting.
Glad to hear the cotton BVC for the K1 (the smaller Aspire BVC coils) have made their way out.

Maybe some of the issues are because they are FT coils?
Also, after washing them in water, IMO it takes several days of drying before using.
Otherwise, you are vaping mostly water, and that doesn't work so well.
Even after 'rising them with juice' IMO.

funkymeatball

Jan 15, 2015
Vienna
I loved the flavor of the 'old' BVC, just not the idea of the ceramic filler, so I've been waiting.
Glad to hear the cotton BVC for the K1 (the smaller Aspire BVC coils) have made their way out.

Also, after washing them in water, IMO it takes several days of drying before using.

So far I never had troubles when buying authentiv products from FT but who knows...
You are right. The water in all these cotton pads can easily explain the weak flavour.
There is quite a lot of cotton inside.
Let's see how it changes once Im done with one more tank.
The flavour was just too ugly. I had to wash it....

Just found that a strange flavour with the cotton BVCs may also happen with the Nautilus cotton BVCs.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ial-statement-atlantis-coils-material-67.html

Last edited:

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal

HOT TIP ON DRYING YOUR CLEANED COILS.

I let mine sit overnight on a paper towel so that the majority of the water is evaporated, then I set them on top of my cable modem for the next 24 hours to speed the drying process. It works like a charm!

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Could you post a link please?

FT = fasttech.com a china based company known for selling clones and counterfeits, but they do also sell some authentics. Just be prepared to wait for slow shipping and customs on each end if you place an order from a Chinese company! Additionally China has been on holiday for 9 days for the Chinese new year, so they'll be back logged for several days.

Here is the link to the authentic Atlantis coils: http://www.fasttech.com/products/30...entic-aspire-atlantis-replacement-coil-head-5

Last edited:

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
FT = fasttech.com a china based company known for selling clones and counterfeits, but they do also sell some authentics. Just be prepared to wait for slow shipping and customs on each end if you place an order from a Chinese company! Additionally China has been on holiday for 9 days for the Chinese new year, so they'll be back logged for several days.

Here is the link to the authentic Atlantis coils: http://www.fasttech.com/products/30...entic-aspire-atlantis-replacement-coil-head-5

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1859405
Usually it takes 2-3 weeks for my orders to arrive.

Just to clarify and prevent any confusion from readers; your link is to the 1.8 ohm Aspire BVC coils (will not fit Atlantis) and mine is to the 0.5 ohm Atlantis (only) coils (both authentics) Or at least that's what FT is saying!

funkymeatball

Jan 15, 2015
Vienna
Just to clarify and prevent any confusion from readers; your link is to the 1.8 ohm Aspire BVC coils (will not fit Atlantis) and mine is to the 0.5 ohm Atlantis (only) coils (both authentics) Or at least that's what FT is saying!

Yes, I was referring to the coils for the K1. They won't fit Nautilus or Atlantis.

funkymeatball

Jan 15, 2015
Vienna
My pleasure!

It really helps to get at least 2-3 coils in a rotation for each tank I use. Some are soaking, some drying, some being used. I find I get much longer life by using this rotation method!

Sounds good! :)
I will soak another of those cotton coils over night in water/alcohol to see if I can get rid of this ugly taste.
If I dry it properly before my next test there won't be any dilution of the flavour.

BTW, I ran a whole tank now through the first washed cotton coil that was not dried after washing and flavour is still very weak compared to my modified single coil BVC.
I can't imagine that there is any water left after a whole tank.
Funny I'm now talking about single coils in the context of vaping. So far I was just talking about single coil guitar pickups ;-)

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Sounds good! :)
I will soak another of those cotton coils over night in water/alcohol to see if I can get rid of this ugly taste.
If I dry it properly before my next test there won't be any dilution of the flavour.

BTW, I ran a whole tank now through the first washed cotton coil that was not dried after washing and flavour is still very weak compared to my modified single coil BVC.
I can't imagine that there is any water left after a whole tank.
Funny I'm now talking about single coils in the context of vaping. So far I was just talking about single coil guitar pickups ;-)

Is the draw on this coil tighter? If so that coil may be too gunked up to clean!

funkymeatball

Jan 15, 2015
Vienna
What is your washing routine? What do you do to soak and clean your coils, what do you use, etc?

The "all cotton" Aspire K1 BVC I just washed a couple of minutes under hot tap water in an attempt to get rid of the ugly taste.
As mentioned I did not dry it. I just blew out the water befor reinstalling it into the K1.
Still have to try if presoaking a fresh "all cotton" BVC in 70% ethanol works to get rid of this taste.

With my modified K1 BVC I just remove the old cotton wick, rinse the coil head in hot tap water and blow it out briefly.
Then I make I dry burn and rewick it with cotton. This way it tastes like a new one.
Usually, I prepare rewicked coils in advance and soak them at least a couple of hours in PG/VG.
I have the impression that it's better to soak the fresh cotton wicks for some time in PG/VG before I use them.
Therefore I always have a couple of rewicked coils presoaked in PG/VG without flavour in a small minigrip bag. Often they sit there for weeks.
Rewicking the coils 3-4 times usually works without problems.
With my non-NET liquids I change the cotton wick every 1-2 weeks. So one coil usually lasts for at least one month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread