Atlantis coil rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Doane

Mar 19, 2015
florida
So i've just started building my first atlantis coil after watching/reading 5 different sources on how to do so. (actually this is probably the third time ive rebuilt this same coil in the past hour) And I am running into the problem where I dont get alot of vapor, airflow is bad (the hole in the cotton is about as big as the original stock wick) Then after getting a few mediocre hits, i start to get less vapor, my tank starts to get hotter than it should and then it floods and im just hitting hot air.

I cant remember the gauge wire i am using but it was recommend to me by the guy at my local vape shop for rebuilding atlantis coils. it has 6 wraps and and reads at .4 ohms. This is very frustrating, the only thing i can think of and i am pretty sure this is it is i am using too much cotton. I feel however intuitively (which isnt worth anything as i am not an experienced coil builder) that if i use less cotton there wont be enough wicking material to absorb the juice flow. when i stuck the wick into the tube it wasn't difficult to get it in there i didn't have to force it it slid right in snug. The leads are on the right parts of the grommet and touching the right pieces of metal, im not an idiot when it comes to electricity and such and it was clearly demonstrated in the videos that the outer lead that the cotton is wrapped and tucked underneath is supposed to be the one underneath the grommet, cant remember if its the positive or negative but its touching the piece of metal that you stick the wick into. The inner wire is above the grommet and is touching the end metal cap that you plug into the grommet afterwards. There are no shorts or my battery wouldn't fire its the stock aspire sub ohm battery.

Standard .5 ohm coils that came stock with my atlantis work beautifully with no flooding or hot vapor (contrary to what some people on the internet are complaining about) Its a beautiful system that works amazingly well for me. I'd like to recoil to .3 ohms as thats what my batteries rated to handle on the lower extreme. But for right now i would just like to get the basics down so i can actually hit some vapor and enjoy my pen.

It would probably help if i took a video or some pictures of the process but i dont have any right now. Any ideas or anything that seems wrong? I can only think its too much cotton, and i feel im not using that much to begin with.

Also i forgot to mention this but i think its the cotton because after it is primed and heated up it the cotton expands into the center airhole blocking it off. I am for now going to try using less cotton than before but id like to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:
So i've just started building my first atlantis coil after watching/reading 5 different sources on how to do so. (actually this is probably the third time ive rebuilt this same coil in the past hour) And I am running into the problem where I dont get alot of vapor, airflow is bad (the hole in the cotton is about as big as the original stock wick) Then after getting a few mediocre hits, i start to get less vapor, my tank starts to get hotter than it should and then it floods and im just hitting hot air.

I cant remember the gauge wire i am using but it was recommend to me by the guy at my local vape shop for rebuilding atlantis coils. it has 6 wraps and and reads at .4 ohms. This is very frustrating, the only thing i can think of and i am pretty sure this is it is i am using too much cotton. I feel however intuitively (which isnt worth anything as i am not an experienced coil builder) that if i use less cotton there wont be enough wicking material to absorb the juice flow. when i stuck the wick into the tube it wasn't difficult to get it in there i didn't have to force it it slid right in snug. The leads are on the right parts of the grommet and touching the right pieces of metal, im not an idiot when it comes to electricity and such and it was clearly demonstrated in the videos that the outer lead that the cotton is wrapped and tucked underneath is supposed to be the one underneath the grommet, cant remember if its the positive or negative but its touching the piece of metal that you stick the wick into. The inner wire is above the grommet and is touching the end metal cap that you plug into the grommet afterwards. There are no shorts or my battery wouldn't fire its the stock aspire sub ohm battery.

Standard .5 ohm coils that came stock with my atlantis work beautifully with no flooding or hot vapor (contrary to what some people on the internet are complaining about) Its a beautiful system that works amazingly well for me. I'd like to recoil to .3 ohms as thats what my batteries rated to handle on the lower extreme. But for right now i would just like to get the basics down so i can actually hit some vapor and enjoy my pen.

It would probably help if i took a video or some pictures of the process but i dont have any right now. Any ideas or anything that seems wrong? I can only think its too much cotton, and i feel im not using that much to begin with.

Also i forgot to mention this but i think its the cotton because after it is primed and heated up it the cotton expands into the center airhole blocking it off. I am for now going to try using less cotton than before but id like to hear what you guys think.
The best way i've found is 24 gauge with 8 wraps spaced out about 1-2mm per wrap. use a 3.5 mm drill bit and make the leads opposite sides and run one alongside the coil. there's a good video on youtube you can watch

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
The best way i've found is 24 gauge with 8 wraps spaced out about 1-2mm per wrap. use a 3.5 mm drill bit and make the leads opposite sides and run one alongside the coil. there's a good video on youtube you can watch

I just finished rebuilding an atlantis and melo coil, both required a 3.5mm -9/64" drill bit and 24g . Make sure the coils are about a mm away from each other and all that good stuff. Check ohms on volt meter if all is good prime well, take a few dry hits and should work. You'll get the hang of it, it's easier than building kanger single coils which shocked me.

I wet the cotton so it sticks well to the new coil which works as a glue, also my first time I put way too much cotton around the coil. It's surprising how little you need.
Don't give up, but be patient with it.

Last edited:

Kevin Doane

Mar 19, 2015
florida
Yeah I had the cotton horizontal. Too much cotton at first. I just redid one before reading about the cotton grain and less cotton works better definitely. I also didn't initially wet the cotton before wrapping which helps a lot. I did the second time and it reads .4 ohms I still don't get as many clouds as the stock .5 but its somewhat comparable now. Only issue is not as much vapor as I want or think it should be and it spits hot juice droplets into my mouth. Not really flooding anymore but the hits aren't perfect.

Its getting better though I'll do the cotton vertical instead of horizontal next time.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
My first ego one coil rebuild didn't turn out great, sorta like you are describing.
Anyways, I left the coil alone but it was well soaked with PG. Plugged it back into the tank a
couple days later and gotta say it wasn't too bad at all.

Leave her "soaking" overnight, you may be pleasantly surprised after 12 hours or so. Cheers.

Brian Bavington

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
brooksville fl
Ok let me get this out of the way first after trying to rebuild a bvc coils like about 30 plus a friend I have learned how not to do it still can not come up with one I am satisfied with rewick yes build you can not put too much cotton in the atomizer if you are installing it right bear with me . you must remove center housing a pic is worth a thousand words I will up load a video on my face book Brian Bavington later to day

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I do have to say I don't get the rebuilding of these coils either. With so many true RTA's out there for near the same price as an atlantis, why bother? I have the Atlantis and also bought a Lemo recently. properly built, the Lemo really performs as well, if not better in some ways, than the Atlantis does.

Kevin Doane

Mar 19, 2015
florida
Several reasons, i want to get as much into the science and physics as i can. I enjoy taking things apart and building them. Eventually i am going to get a 150 watt box mod and start dripping. Going to get a accurate sub ohm reader as well. I want to start building coils for that. Another is, the between juice and coils being bought constantly (the stock atlantis coil and replacement lasted me a week thats 3.5 days of vaping before it was trashed as in it started flooding or tasting like absolute garbage or i was inhaling juice droplets.) the price is fairly more expensive than i want it to be.

Rebuilding the coils for a little bit of effort is cheaper while developing a new skill. Two I want to start vaping .3 ohms on this im not sure if there are any .3 ohm atlantis bvc coils out there yet but i could build them.

Now does anybody have any recommendations for wire type and gauge, wraps etc. I think the problem with the build i just did spitting hot juice up at me is, the heat flux is way too high. Ive done some research and have looked at the steam engine calculator (not sure how use it as i am thinking of wires in gauges and not millimeters even though i guess i could find a conversion.)

The stock coils at .5 ohms make nice vapor and its cool, when it runs down the side of my face on a slow exhale its almost cold. Lot of vapor with low heat flux, this is what id like to achieve, i want .3 ohms and low heat flux. I am under the assumption that .3 ohms will also produce alot of vapor but i suppose this may not necessarily be true depending on the number of wraps and if i just do a terrible job rewicking/coiling.

I cant find the heat flux value for the stock atlantis .5 ohm coil, so im not sure what my target heat flux should be on the new coil, but before i go to the vape shop today id like some idea of what kind of wire i want to be getting to hit this goal. The guy at the shop initally sold me a thin wire that after 7 wraps came out to 1.5 ohms (really tells you he knows what hes doing) And gave me a free foot of a thicker gauge wire that came out to .4 - .5 ohms but spits hot juice up. Heatflux is way too high almost feel sick after vaping off of it from the hotair/cotton vape. I did prime it, it just tastes funny until you take soo many vapes off of your cotton and break it in and the airs too hot for me to even want to get it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread