Atomizers/cartomizers are good on 5v box mods these days? + Battery recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
I have pretty good luck with regular 5v cartos and atomizers I get locally... And usually with anything I buy online.. last time I tried some huge tank cartos and they were terrible.... Burned from the start and worse from there (like a few months ago when I tried E2s, but even worse) So I don't think I want anything with the thread/lamp wick looking .... in there, really

Should I be buying dual coil? Why is 2ohm recommended for dual coil but 2.5-3.2 for single? (@5v)

I just want something to work reasonably well for a reasonable period of time.. Will I still get plenty of vapor if I go up to 3.5ohms?? It seems that the 2.5-3 do GREAT at first and then drop off over the course of the first 1-2 weeks getting worse from there (I do dry burns and sometimes even wash them out using alcohol and manage to keep most atomizers going for a fairly long time)

PS: Whoever recommended AW batteries- you were right- even though they're a lower mah rating, they still go as long or longer between charges. Apparently because they're made to handle the draw while *fires aren't... Whatever the reason, buy AW batteries!!! I FINALLY had a couple break down (after months of heavy use) and they didn't explode or get upset AT ALL - they just get warm to the touch and one leaked just a little - I don't think any gas even came off of it

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
Sorry for all of the questions but I've been away from the boards for months and months .... :)
Dual Coil Heavy Vapor (DCHV) Clear 510 compatible mega cartomizers THESE I think may be good. My father brought one to me that looks VERY similar (but no writing and no idea of what it is) ...... but the thing works great

Edit.. well ... 1.5ohm on a 5v box mod??? Will it even work?
Can these be found in 2ohm and higher?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I use 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers between 4.5 - 5.0 volts regularly. Dual coils just don't come alive until you reach 4.5+ volts from my experience and many other vets experience from what I have read. I've had good experience with these from Madvapes. You may need an extension 510 - 510 adapter to use them, which is what I use. They are on sale at the moment:

Clear eGo Mega Dual Coil Cartomizer, Flat Tip

If you don't want to use the extension, then try these:

Dual Coil Clear Mega XL Cartomizer

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
1.5ohm dual core on a 5v box mod would work fine. I'm not a DC fan but they do come start to come alive in the mid 4v range and are really nice at 5. I wouldn't look for DC in 2 ohms unless you can go higher than 5v but it still should be a good vape at 5, just not as intense as 1.5 ohm.

One thing to check if you're going to be using 1.5 ohm dual core on a 5v mod is the batteries. You'll may need IMR batteries because of dual cores extra current draw. Protected might work without tripping the protection but you're probably going to get more voltage sag from them.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Avoid these like the plague, they are horrible
I looked up to see what I got
Vision 3.5ml 2.8-3.0 Ohm Clearomizer These
Mad vapes is usually great but these were awful garbage

I have these from another vendor and they are good but at 3.7-4.1 volts, and not good at 5v. Also, some last longer and work better than others.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Are these good? I still am confused as to whether I should get 2.0 or 3ohm Vision standard eGo transparent Clear-o-mizer

Basically, what I have found is that all clearomizers (no matter what they say the ohms are) do not work good at 5v. Maybe it has something to do with the liquid sitting in the tank? I really don't know. They only seem to not taste burnt if I use them at 3.7-4.1v or so, including the Vision EGO clearomizer. For 5v vaping I usually use a Cisco 3 ohm bridgeless atomizer from Avid Vaper. ooohhh laaaa laaaa. That is my sweet spot!

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Why is 2ohm recommended for dual coil but 2.5-3.2 for single? (@5v)

I just want something to work reasonably well for a reasonable period of time.. Will I still get plenty of vapor if I go up to 3.5ohms?? It seems that the 2.5-3 do GREAT at first and then drop off over the course of the first 1-2 weeks getting worse from there (I do dry burns and sometimes even wash them out using alcohol and manage to keep most atomizers going for a fairly long time)

PS: Whoever recommended AW batteries- you were right- even though they're a lower mah rating, they still go as long or longer between charges. Apparently because they're made to handle the draw while *fires aren't... Whatever the reason, buy AW batteries!!! I FINALLY had a couple break down (after months of heavy use) and they didn't explode or get upset AT ALL - they just get warm to the touch and one leaked just a little - I don't think any gas even came off of it

The reason you go lower in ohms with DC as opposed to Single Coil cartomizers is because you have to remember in a DC there are 2 wires running parralel so, for example, a 1.5 ohm DC is 2 coils at 1.5 ohms, which equals 3 ohms at 5v, as opposed to a Single Coil 3 ohm cartomizer at 5v, which is what I sometimes use when I do use a tank.

Also, yes, when using variable voltage devices, I prefer the AW batteries. And as far as your mentioning an atomizer or cartridge not lasting more than a couple weeks, that sounds pretty normal for most items.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
The reason you go lower in ohms with DC as opposed to Single Coil cartomizers is because you have to remember in a DC there are 2 wires running parralel so, for example, a 1.5 ohm DC is 2 coils at 1.5 ohms, which equals 3 ohms at 5v, as opposed to a Single Coil 3 ohm cartomizer at 5v, which is what I sometimes use when I do use a tank.

Also, yes, when using variable voltage devices, I prefer the AW batteries. And as far as your mentioning an atomizer or cartridge not lasting more than a couple weeks, that sounds pretty normal for most items.

Sorry, I meant that the atomizers drop off over the first week and get worse from there, for me ... cartos, I know they're more disposable. Well and atomizers too but I'd like a solid 2 weeks minimum out of 'em if possible :)

That's what I didn't know- you'd think they'd rate them for the actual resistance.. wouldn't you? If a carto is rated 1.5ohm that's what the device should end up seeing... in my mind

I would think that two 1.5 wired in series would come out to being 3ohm resistance ... I guess I have that backwards .. trying to think back to my car stereo days .... As I remember it two 4ohm speakers wired in parallel would cause 4ohm load and if you wired them in series you'd get a 2ohm load?? Do I have that wrong?

Sigh

I am getting old

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
The device does see 1.5 ohm DC as 1.5 ohm. But it's having to supply power to two coils so each is only seeing half the wattage.

A single coil 1.5 ohm at 3.7v is delivering just over 9 watts to the coil, a nice warm vape. With a Dual Core 1.5 ohm adjusted to 3.7 it's delivering just over 9 watts to two coils so each coil is seeing just over 4.5 watts a pretty cool and weak vape.

That's why DC has to be adjusted higher than SC to really come alive and in doing that it's pulling much more current from the battery that's why IMR batteries and a device with a high enough amp limit is needed.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
A 1.5 ohm Dual Coil is actually two 3ohm coils wired in parallel. Total circuit resistance is 1.5ohms. Series and Parallel Circuits

One thing to remember is that a 1.5ohm carto @ 5v will draw 3.33 amps. Not too many mods are up to the task for that kind of current.

The Darwin handles that current level like a champ. Actually it comes in at 4.7 volts but it provides about 18 hours of nice, warm, consistent vapor using 1.5 ohm DC's.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
I just have a 5v box mod from madvapes (2x14500) ... I use AW IMR batteries and I can't remember but I think they're made to handle up to 2A each .. That's why I use them- I had been on here and some people explained to me that the xFire batteries were woefully inadequate

Does anyone know if the madvapes box mods handle a load like that, well? (I don't know what kind of voltage regulator is in here, or what the voltage ends up being.. The regulator gets HOT sometimes, it'll burn you)

I had it completely backwards in my mind, too, in terms of parallel vs. series wiring.

PS: I wrote to them and told them how horrible those one cartos were and they quickly gave me points toward purchase of something else. Great company.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
A 1.5 ohm Dual Coil is actually two 3ohm coils wired in parallel. Total circuit resistance is 1.5ohms. Series and Parallel Circuits

One thing to remember is that a 1.5ohm carto @ 5v will draw 3.33 amps. Not too many mods are up to the task for that kind of current.

Actually .. that is more in line with what I thought

2 3ohm parallel = 1.5ohm load
2 3ohm series would be 6ohm load?
Right?

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Correct... 2x 3ohm in series would be 6 ohms total resistance.

Assuming that Madvapes uses the same regulator in the pre-assembled mods as in their kit, then it is a 3.0 amp linear regulator. It gets hot because linear regs shed off the excess voltage as heat. So if battery voltage is 7.4 and output is 5v then 2.4 volts are being wasted as heat. That's the simple explanation, realistically watts are wasted as heat but that varies depending on the resistance.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC

I've reread this a couple times and I think you might have it backwards but, I'm not sure. A 1.5 ohm DC is composed of two 3 ohm coils in parallel. However, that is the reason that you see recommendations to use a significantly lower resistance with DCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread