Budget Squonker / Bottom Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munk

Mar 16, 2016
Hey,

So I'm curious about squonking but am not ready to invest a ton of money into a mod until I know whether or not I like it. I'm aware of the REOs and their reputation, but it looks like I'd need to invest ~$140 for the mod + atomizer + battery + charger just to get started.

If I like this sort of setup, I imagine that I'll ultimately go with a REO or maybe a quality regulated mod, but in the meantime I'd like a less expensive setup to experiment with. Some of the mods I've been looking at that fall into this category are the Kanger Dripbox and some various clones (Vapor Flask, REO, etc.)

My question to you, which of these (or if you know of any others) would you recommend? And for those who are experienced squonkers, is there anything about it that a newbie should know before going this route?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

officer196

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
Ft. Worth, TX
I'm not a squonker, but I know there is a few review videos already floating around for the new kanger dripbox. One I watched seemed to indicate it was a great inexpensive all in one kit for squonking. Might be a good way to get a feel for it on the cheap. If it were me, that's where I would start. In any case good luck on your search.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I remember a thread some time ago about a product called the "Smokeless Owl". Was in the $20-30 range. Looked interesting.

The terminator and smokeless owl are the same device, made by same company. Terminator has crossed pistols logo on it, smokeless owl has a pattern. There's even a logo less version. Other than logos, they are exactly alike.

Yiorgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Steam crave

Kangertech new one will be cheap I'm guessing
That's what I thought and I bought this as a beater but wow am I shocked at how simple and unique this thing is..... I have 2 reos, 2 sunboxes and for $35...I'D SAY..... PULL THE TRIGGER! I did and I'm very happy. I wasn't too crazy for the rda that comes with it so a threw a Manta v2 on and it vapes perfectly for the way I vape.... I like a slightly restrictive lung hit and flavor chase.... This combo is awesome.... I'm going g to buy another one.....i built a .35ohm dual parallel nichrome 60 28 Guage..... 14 wraps nice long dual coil and it's a flavor monster.

The atty that comes with it has multi port feed on the deck (their pre built coils are ok but I got a funky taste from something... The cotton maybe.? they really pack it in the changeable pre built decks) and it takes more than usual pressure to sqounk... But with the Manta or whatever other atty you use.... feeds perfectly with a light squeeze......you can't adjust the 60 or 80 watts that it puts out but that's not a con for me cause .35 is perfect for me (!) 18650 battery has lasted me for the last 7 hours starting to drop off now needs a change but doesn't get hot like people are saying and I vape A LOT !

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey,

So I'm curious about squonking but am not ready to invest a ton of money into a mod until I know whether or not I like it. I'm aware of the REOs and their reputation, but it looks like I'd need to invest ~$140 for the mod + atomizer + battery + charger just to get started.

If I like this sort of setup, I imagine that I'll ultimately go with a REO or maybe a quality regulated mod, but in the meantime I'd like a less expensive setup to experiment with. Some of the mods I've been looking at that fall into this category are the Kanger Dripbox and some various clones (Vapor Flask, REO, etc.)

My question to you, which of these (or if you know of any others) would you recommend? And for those who are experienced squonkers, is there anything about it that a newbie should know before going this route?

Got myself one of these last year:
$24.34 Terminator 18650 Drip Nebulizer Vaporizer Kit - 10ml / black (matte finish) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
2344405-14.jpg

Worked ok; used to take it to work.
Unregulated bothers me though; plus the rda it comes with... well it's not a 510 drip tip;
Worth having though. for the price.

Now this:
$12.51 Fountain V2 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 5ml / stainless steel + glass + plastic / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
3366100-7.jpg

Squounking rda!!!
You can put that on a regulated mod;
Got that on my wishlist.

and then there's
$66.76 Authentic Steam Crave Squonk 60W TC VW APV Box Mod - 7-60W / 200-600'F / 1*18650 / built-in 10ml liquid bottle at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
4223600-5.jpg

variable wattage / variable temperature squonk box.
you'd still have to get a bottom feed rda though.
It's not on my wishlist because it's over my budget.

Reactions: ElevenEleven

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I have Both the Owl/terminator and the Clone Reo.... Between the 2 get the cReo. Both are good the Clone is better. Took me about 10 minutes with a file to convert my clone to a LP Grand style, to accept 22mm atty. Funny thing is I still use the 14mm Chalice 3 atty more than my 22mm atties, Oh well.

I'm also, considering a Regulated Squonker.....Either home built or bought. Probably going with the Inoy as it has better reviews than the Flask and Geyscano. The Kanger box looks good, but too untested for me. I won't buy based on YOUTUBE reviews, alone. Most are really just paid advertisements anyway. If I decide to break my $50 rule, I would go with the Steam Crave, better looks. My other option is to build one from a parallel 2or3x18650 box mod.

Reactions: beckdg

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Kanger Dripbox 160 TC

What ever you pick make sure to get a good atty.

Does the kit not come with the advertised Velocity style RBA deck? Kanger DRIPBOX 160W TC MOD Starter Kit The atty with it seems to appeal for both MTL and DL hits. Would think an included Velocity style RBA deck would do quite well. If not it's no great issue. Pick one up. Velocity V2 RDA by Tobeco The Velocity V2 has a small grub screw in the center pin. Remove it and it is ready to use as a bottom feed (squonk) RBA/RDA.

Reactions: Yiorgo

Yiorgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I don't have the Kanger yet.
This was posted today:
Kanger DRIPBOX Bottle
The only place I've seen them so far.
No, it comes with a second bottle but my first bottle cracked at one of the three grip seams from one month of everyday use, so I hope they changed the bottle (lil softer) and made a CAP for a BACKUP in our pocket..... should have taken a pic before I tossed the defective bottle

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Edit... I see what you did there, the comment section mentions the problem...... sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: puffon

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Does the kit not come with the advertised Velocity style RBA deck? Kanger DRIPBOX 160W TC MOD Starter Kit The atty with it seems to appeal for both MTL and DL hits. Would think an included Velocity style RBA deck would do quite well. If not it's no great issue. Pick one up. Velocity V2 RDA by Tobeco The Velocity V2 has a small grub screw in the center pin. Remove it and it is ready to use as a bottom feed (squonk) RBA/RDA.
That chamber looks a little big for mtl, but if that's what you like then go for it.

Reactions: Yiorgo

Munk

Mar 16, 2016
Thanks for the fast responses!

Roxynoodle, that Inoy looks pretty promising, though I'm not a fan of that huge logo on the one side. Of course, some images show the product with no logo, so kind of confused about that...does yours have a logo on it?

Chips177, Do you know of any places that might be offering a REO mini clone? I've seen the grand clone before, but I'm not turing up any result for a mini (and it would be a bonus if I could find one about that size).

Munk

Mar 16, 2016
Roxynoodle, did the unlogoed version come from focalecig?

Crxess, thanks for the heads up on the steamcrave, that one looks pretty good to. Watched a review on it, looks pretty decent!

Officer196, yeah the dripbox seemed promising, sort of wish it had variable controls on it like the subbox. Perhaps they'll add that to the next version.

Since it'd be nice for me to have a really compact squonker, I came across a tiny mod called the Horde Mini squonker. It actually has a few names and can be bought on alibaba or fast tech for cheap ($22). It's a zippo style squonker, only 64mm x 41mm x 23mm, and while I'm not a fan of the outer case, it looks ripe for a custom 3D printed outer case (perhaps in steel, copper, or brass).

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, the non logoed one came from Focalecig. I'm not sure if there are other vendors who carry it. They had a group buy on it last summer for something like $33. That was too good for me not to take a chance. And I'm very happy with it. I got a bf Velocity clone from them as well and can run it with dual claptons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread